How do you answer the “what do you do?” question when most people your age are still

I retired for good at 58 after having retired from the Navy at 51. Whether answering questions during several months off after the Navy or after retiring for good, I've always said "retired Navy". That seemed to satisfy everyone because it's generally expected that military folks retire "young". Given my current age (73) I think my general appearance is sufficient explanation for anyone. :D

Chief of Naval (lint) Operations !

for us, we just say “retired”
usually they follow up “from what”... it then depends on the person/situation... usually “scientist” for me/“executive” for spouse... usually quiet after that

I guess another reason people might be shy about saying they're retired is that they're concerned that it might make the other person feel unfortunate by comparison. You don't want to make them feel bad or one-down.

I notice that in myself. Internally, I'm very pleased with being able to retire fully at 57, but I don't talk about it much, because I know others around me are not in that position, and I don't want to make them feel bad. I know I'm not really "making" them feel anything, but I'm also aware that, despite what they may say, some people do feel frustrated when they hear about someone else being in the financial position to retire early.

Otoh, if someone asks what I do, I'm fine with saying I'm retired (or will be shortly). I mean, they asked.

I am 77 and the default is still for someone to assume that I am working. Most people are working, other than during periods of deep unemployment.

Ha

In my 50's friends & ex-coworkers would ask me if I was retired, I would say that "I am too young to be retired, I am just tired". : )

I retired at 54. I just tell people I am retired and mostly I have had good responses and feedback. Some of my friends from my former employer were able to retire early too, so that has been helpful. Now that I am almost 60, it is not a big deal at all.

I've responded to this and a few other threads like it.
Personally, I'm at a loss as to why I'd feel bad--or think someone else would feel bad-- about me being RE'd.

I know I'm a bit blind to other's feelings; (my bad), but I just don't think anyone cares enough one way or the other. Those who know me well, know my situation and those who don't are mostly making idle conversation.

In my 13+ years of RE, I've never once met anyone who 1) asked how I did it 2) wanted to delve into my finances 3) commented on my being too young or 4) indicated any resentment. The only feedback I've had from casual contact was "good for you!".

I got quite a bit of ribbing from my sister in law (BIL's sister, so double-in-law?) at thanksgiving. Good-natured, but snarky, and she didn't push beyond my limits knowing me well enough, and it was amusing enough for everyone else.

I made a comment about being tired/busy or something after a just getting back from recent vacation... (well I don't sleep well in hotel beds!) so I guess I invited it. Given they had all been busy wrapping up work to take a long weekend, shuttling teenagers around, cooking, normal stuff. "Oh you're tired and busy, poor thing! You're tanned and smiling, you've never looked better, must be so rough being retired!" that sort of thing.

"I do what I want, when I want." That usually gets an envious wry facial expression and a nod. If that doesn't satisfy, I tell them what I do for a 2 evening a week stress-free "j*b" as a front desk concierge at an off-site college center; they are usually jealous then. :cool:

But I can't use that on the still working DW. For that it's similar what Montecfo said: "My wife is still working full-time so I try to always have a couple of things I have done at the ready. Often they are things that help her out so never get the sideways glance."

I just tell people we are retired. I retired at 55. My wife years earlier at age 40 although she volunteers as a nurse once in a while and still maintains her state nursing license. Many people ask how we pay the bills. We just tell them with zero debt, there aren't too many bills to worry about. That usually puzzles them... What no car payments or house payments? My close friends who retired in their early to mid 50's get the same questions. I know one person who I went to University with, retired in his early 30's after his company was bought by Microsoft in the 90's. He has been dealing with those questions for decades now. There is no shame in being financially responsible and retiring early. Just enjoy it.

I just say retired. If someone ask the 'what do you do all day' question I'm honest and say play golf, ride my bike and whatever else I feel like doing. When someone says they would feel bored only doing that I tell them to keep working.

Don't feel embarrassed telling someone you retired early. It's a great accomplishment.

I, for one, plan to spend more time on my hobbies (beekeeping and gardening) so I am going to answer that I am a bee keeper and a market gardener. You can formulate an answer around your hobbies which will the true and relevant.

The people around us who seem resentful we retired early generally are not people who are poor but people The Millionaire Next Door authors describe as income but not balance sheet affluent. I think they are the competitive types who find it important to their self worth to have better cars, better designer kitchens, better vacations, etc. than their neighbors and co-workers. When other people can retire early but they can't it bothers them. We could care less if people we don't know all that well retired at 30 or work until 80.

Last edited:
I just tell people I work for "Bob" (member of my extended family)

We obtained our health insurance through their company via my part-time work.

I might admit to being retired after age 55.

Maybe.

The people around us who seem resentful we retired early generally are not people who are poor but people The Millionaire Next Door authors describe as income but not balance sheet affluent. I think they are the competitive types who find it important to their self worth to have better cars, better designer kitchens, better vacations, etc. than their neighbors and co-workers. When other people can retire early but they can't it bothers them. We could care less if people we don't know all that well retired at 30 or work until 80.

Just the jealousy aspect which will always be there.
We were kind of in between the two extremes. Made a very good income, but spent a lot. However, we always saved each year and never went into debt.

That time is in the past now.

But at the time I had no issue whatsoever stating that I was retired. I never saw what the big issue was. People will think what they want to think. I just find it much easier to be straightforward and not skirt around issues.

My neighbor said it best to me when I was working on Maui and they were next door oceanfront retired at 40. I ask what do you do? To which they respond "We manage the family's money."

Brief, frank and truthful.

What they USED To do was much more interesting... Bearing Sea fisherman meets vinyeard heiress who opened and sold a Mexican restaurant in SoCal.

Some of the most caring multi millionaires I knew.

It sure made me look at my life and think, damn what the hell did I just do with the last ten years of my life...lol.

Most people I know ask about the time issue. "What will you do if you don't work". I always say I have a big imagination, I can think of 12 things each day I'd rather do than work.

I retired at age 55. Most of the time, I just say retired. Other times, I say self-employed... because I do work to stay informed and stay busy managing, maintaining, and improving my personal finances, home and lifestyle.

Most people I know ask about the time issue. "What will you do if you don't work". I always say I have a big imagination, I can think of 12 things each day I'd rather do than work.

A poster on Reddit described the people who don' t know what they would do if they didn't work as suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Personally, I'm a consultant. On topics that interest me. Worldwide. Pro bono.

My neighbor said it best to me when I was working on Maui and they were next door oceanfront retired at 40. I ask what do you do? To which they respond "We manage the family's money."

Brief, frank and truthful.

What they USED To do was much more interesting... Bearing Sea fisherman meets vinyeard heiress who opened and sold a Mexican restaurant in SoCal.

Some of the most caring multi millionaires I knew.

It sure made me look at my life and think, damn what the hell did I just do with the last ten years of my life...lol.

Reminds me of a trip we took a couple of years ago to a Mexican island. We were sitting at a bar that was part of a small bed and breakfast and another patron was discussing things with the owner (an American who was in his early 40's). Eventually, he asked asked how they came to own such a fantastic place and have a great "job". The owner was very frank and said that he was fortunate to be a trust fund kid and would never have to worry about money. He and his DW hated the cold weather of their home in the states and decieded to buy the B&B/Bar while on vacation many years earlier. He didn't seem to be at all bothered telling folks that he was a trust fund "kid".

He and his DW hated the cold weather of their home in the states and decieded to buy the B&B/Bar while on vacation many years earlier.

Many years ago I thought about what life might be like after jumping off the corporate hamster wheel. Why not buy or build a B&B near the most beautiful place in the world and spend my golden years allowing my lucky guests to enjoy the area? I bought a couple of books on owning/operating a B&B and decided that the only way I would enjoy this activity is if I didn't have any guests. This didn't seem like a viable business plan so I abandoned the dream. Good riddance! :D

What do you do all day?

"I work full time as a monitor and poster on an on-line early retirement forum"

My folks owned a summer resort for 10 years. That cured me from ever wanting to do the same. Definitely only fun if you had no guests.

Back
Top Bottom