How hard are lunges on the knees?

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am looking towards future travel in a couple of years that's going to involve walking on slippery, occasionally steep trails and similar activities. My sense of balance is not the greatest, and I'm mid-60s, so I've decided to work on it. My local senior center occasionally offers balance classes to the over-55 set, and I will sign up for the next one.

Meantime, I'm looking for other exercises. I recently learned the term "proprioception," awareness of positioning and movement of the body, and I think that's what I'm aiming at.

I found some exercises that focused on that. I have no trouble with step-ups and "Bulgarian split squats," but the lunges seem damaging to me. The article recommended reverse lunges, and when I tried it, I had, not pain, but sensation, like a bit of throbbing, all over my right knee, not the left. I think my right knee is very slightly out of alignment - I've noticed when on a walking treadmill that my left knee moves straight back and forth, but my right knee describes a very, very narrow, but visible, oval.

That being the case, I wonder if I should skip lunges altogether. Right now, I'm pain free, no pain in back, hips, knees, ankles, shoulders - nowhere except some finger arthritis. I want to keep it that way. I can sink easily down to squat onto my heels (cat care all these years!) and rise up again with no problems.

I'm probably not doing the reverse lunge perfectly, but I have a feeling that if I were, it would still be bad for the future. Even now I have sensation in my knee from trying to lunge earlier. So my specific question is: are lunges really challenging and hard on the knee even when done perfectly?

I spent over a year working through some patellar tendonitis issues, and I can finally, generally, get around without pain, but no big hikes, no running, and no jumping for me anymore. When doing lunges or squats your knee should not go past your toes (on the forward leg in the lunge). Check out the Bob and Brad Physical Therapists on YouTube for good advice on proper form, and other exercises.

I can't do lunges at all. I have very little cartilage under my left kneecap. My orthopedic surgeon cautioned me about them and said not to do them.

I can't do much on squats but can cautiously do them if I don't go too low. When I was going to the gym, I started out by squatting to the bench. That is, I sit down on the bench when I did a squat. I was very careful. I found I could later do some squats but I would stop if I felt any twinge in my knee.

I still can't do lunges at all though.

I have no good answers for you but am interested in seeing what responses you get. I’m 77, ran for probably 40 years (no huge distances/marathons) but stopped maybe 12 years ago. Since COVID I’ve been doing home workouts using video subscription routines that include a fair number of squats and lunges. I’ve been noticing my knees getting a little more sore over time and have been trying a few things to try to reduce pain/discomfort. Lately I’ve been doing reverse lunges exclusively when the workouts call for either squats or forward lunges. This plan also has some “knee friendly” workouts which have no squats or lunges (of either variety) but are nevertheless still challenging. My knees seem to feel better after doing those as compared to the standard workouts. For the past 5 days I’ve been laying off all exercise except walking due to another issue and my knees are feeling better. So, is it the squats? The lunges? Old age? All of the above? Will just reverse lunges do the trick? I dunno but am looking for answers.

A few months ago I started using a personal trainer. Unusually, she is a nurse by trade and quite oriented to exercises focused on specific muscles and problems. It is a worthwhile BTD activity for me. I have also learned that my balance gets better as she makes me stronger. DW is now using her too.

You might consider a few sessions with a well-qualified personal trainer. You could get your questions and concerns dealt with plus get help designing a DIY program to meet your needs.

I might consider a small class with a personal trainer who is known to be skillful in suggesting various options for the same muscle group. If they had some background in physical therapy, better yet. And, I would ask them for an example where they helped to 'diagnose' a problem. Or perhaps where they suggested a client see a medical professional given difficulty with an exercise. I would expect 3 to 6 months should provide enough time to learn a program you could do at home. If the trainer turns out to be motivating and affordable, continue with the trainer.

Within the same person, I would also inquire about their program for streching and foam rolling. I personally would only use a trainer who saw value in streching and rolling. You do not mention including those things in your current program. I think it could make a significant difference to ease some sensitive areas. Sometimes it is almost an instant fix. Other times, it takes a while to loosen up the tight area.

Keep on, keeping on!

Right after my post, I noticed Old Shooter gave similar advice.

I have trouble with lunges too. I'm pretty wobbly, probably because I have trouble doing them right, and I have some pain in my right knee where they used my patella for an ACL graft.

I think your best bet is to go to a physical therapist to learn how to do them correctly and whether you even should do it. You might need a referral. A sports medicine doc would be ideal, but your GP could work too.

If you don't want to go to those lengths I agree with the personal trainer, preferably 1:1 but in a small class, could help too. I haven't used one, so I don't know how well they do at looking at whether you should be doing something, but they should be able to get the form correct.

For any of these, I think you need to get someone aligned with your goals, not just someone who says, "You're in your 60s, just getting off the couch is good enough" or conversely gives you a regime better suited for a 30 year old (unless you can handle it and want to).

One thing I have found as I age is that it is important to get your information from people who understand that there is a difference between a 60 or 70 year old body and a 30 year old body. The biggest problem I have is that if I overdo exercise and hurt myself I am out of action for weeks, not just 3 days to maybe a week. I don't heal fast any more.

I can do regular planks and side planks. Just don't ask me to do them with a 20 pound kettle ball on my hip.

I agree with the suggestions of getting some help with a PT.
I have learned to listen to my body. I tried a little running on the treadmill. My lower back did the talking on that one. I can do the fast walking OK so i stick with that.
When i was doing hot yoga, the same thing happened with any of the side bends. I could do them deeper that my back was interested in, and as Chuckanut said the recovery time was extended.

I had surgery on my right knee when I was 17. So, it was a few years ago. [emoji38]
That knee is bone on bone. Dr doesn’t know why it doesn’t hurt but basically it doesn’t.
Back when I was lifting weights judiciously I would do lunges using a step bench. This helped to work the muscle without going too low. I could not go fast, it had to be slow and controlled. Still worked though.
I tried reverse lunges but could never get my form right.
Squats I could do with no problem so I did those more often.

I really need to get back into an exercise routine.

lunges are not bad for your knees if done properly (i.e. straight up/down motion). It helps if you have muscle mass on you legs below the knee. You may want to consider alternative excises using a reformer that work the same muscle groups as lunges. You will be able to control your motion much more easily. Also consider working your upper body with free weights or just doing push ups. The best way to get your legs and cardiovascular system in shape without damaging your knees is biking.

lunges are not bad for your knees if done properly (i.e. straight up/down motion).

And, yet, I've had more than one orthopedic surgeon tell me not to do them. I do realize they are good for most people but not necessarily for everyone.

I think a lot depends on technique and building up muscle strength to support the joints... like most things and usually BORING.

I beat up my knees running but have decided this year to limit my longer runs to an hour (will go faster if I want a harder workout) to limit the amount of pounding and am adding in more cycling. I'm also trying to be more consistent in stretching and strength. I like being active and at 47 I have a lot of time ahead that I want to maintain capability as long as possible. I'll go crazy when I'm stuck inside and mobility limited.

I'm probably not doing the reverse lunge perfectly, but I have a feeling that if I were, it would still be bad for the future. Even now I have sensation in my knee from trying to lunge earlier. So my specific question is: are lunges really challenging and hard on the knee even when done perfectly?

As a rule, if you are healthy and they are done "perfectly", they are fine. They aren't necessary though for basic strength and function. Squats can get that for you.

Lunges are trickier, because of the balancing and the whole body coordination. Work with a good trainer if you want to do them, but only if they don't hurt. Don't do any motion that hurts while you do it. Don't "work through" pain.

Your sports-med-ortho do should be helping you understand what you can and can't do. My knee is compromised, so I can squat, but not break parallel.

If your doc is the type to say don't do anything, get another doc. I like ones that focus on making sure I'm doing all I can, vs. not doing anything they don't 100% like.

And, yet, I've had more than one orthopedic surgeon tell me not to do them. I do realize they are good for most people but not necessarily for everyone.

I think I'm going to opt out of lunges too. Compared to other exercises, I feel my body is telling me, "Don't do these."

If I ask myself what my goals are, it's to find easy to do exercises that don't require a gym or a trainer, don't take much thought, and don't give me any pain or sensation, but do help primarily with keeping pain free and easily moving into extreme old age, help with balance, and walking and standing in a variety of conditions. When I read articles on exercising into old age, they usually start out with, "it doesn't take much ..." I hope that's true! :)

Lunges can be harder on your knees if you squat all the way down on your haunches/heels. IF you want to work on leg strength, don't go past 90 degrees. But I agree, a PT could show you the safest and most effective way to work on specific functional areas. These might help, the instructor is a doctor of physical therapy (disclaimer, she's also my instructor and an aquaintance): https://www.youtube.com/c/MSUNNYogaWellness19/search?query=knees

A lot depends on your knee strength. One of our sons in a personal trainer who gets client referrals from several doctors where he lives due to his results. When he lived near us we would go to his yoga/exercise class. He said lunges would be fine for me, as I have never had knee problems and have a solid amount of leg muscle. He recommended alternatives for DW as she has had knee problems, including a couple of surgeries. So it is worth getting a recommendation based on your physical condition.

Here's a trainer that has spent a lot of time working on knees. The call him 'The Knees over toes guy' I'm picking a video kind of at random, and I'm sure it is a non a starting point, but if you look over his videos, he has beginner stuff.

Do a Youtube search for kneesovertoesguy.
I have also watched a couple of physical therapists review his methods and they both seem impressed.

Last edited:
Swim. Tread in the water and strengthen your muscles, and get your heart rate up. I think of treading as water running but strengthening your arm, abs, legs, and neck.

I saw this on YouTube. Take 2 empty milk cartons and fill them with water to a comfortable weight level. Walk around the house, bend a little, balance on one leg, and squat in your comfort zone. Then increase the water. Repeat. Cheap, easy, and works.

I do a fair amount of hiking, sometimes on steep trails. I find that walking on the treadmill at incline is the best training for me. And some body weight squats. I don’t do lunges - iirc an orthopedic dr told me not to at some point. I ran for 40+ years, and my knees do a lot of creaking. So I’ve decided to preserve them as much as possible.

I have knee problems, but I am able to safely do lunges without hurting my knees as long as I work up to them. I am also careful with form, and don’t bend my knees too deeply.

You can do lunges with no weights, and you don’t have to do deep lunges at first.

I have knee problems, but I am able to safely do lunges without hurting my knees as long as I work up to them. I am also careful with form, and don’t bend my knees too deeply.

You can do lunges with no weights, and you don’t have to do deep lunges at first.

I should mention that I don’t go past 90 degrees in a squat as no way I can handle the sitting type squat without hurting my knees.

Lunges are a balance challenge as well, and if I haven’t done them for a while I am wobbly at first.

If forward lunges work for you, then don’t do reverse lunges.

Back
Top Bottom