How long do you keep cars?

I traded my last car at only 7 years. I prefer to keep cars longer than that, but safety features on new vehicles motivated me to trade. Having driven my new Honda CRV for a few months, I now say that must haves on any future vehicle include the backup camera, blind spot warning, and cross traffic warning. These are features on my CRV that my old car did not have.

How long I will keep this vehicle going forward depends in part on new safety features that will be available in the future. I used to think ten years was a minimum time to keep a vehicle but that may change going forward.

Ironically, I am driving much less now than before I retired and should be able to keep a car longer.

Our original arrangement was that we’d buy new, and replace every 10 years. We’re a 2 car family, so we staggered the purchases so we’d have a new one every 5 years. Our first new vehicle, a ‘95 VW GTI, was pretty thoroughly used up after 10 years and 140K miles. The last 2, a 2000 Xterra with 150K miles, and a 2005 Odyssey minivan with 173K miles, are still running fine, and are still in use as our daily drivers.

Our oldest will start driving next year, so we’ll pass the old, slow SUV to her, and purchase a new vehicle.

I enjoy cars enough that I’d like to lease and swap them out more frequently, but the financial advisor in my head hasn’t allowed me to go that route so far. Maybe in another 15-20 years, when I’m in “blow that dough” mode.

We keep my truck and DW’s car 10 years. Her 2012 Acura should be good until 2022. My current F150 should be good until 2027. We haven’t got rid of her old 2001 Acura yet. And I still have a 2001 corvette. Don’t drive many miles anymore.

Shortest time, 5 years, longest 20+. Unless died due to rusting, or rolling over. All except 72 Superbeetle, bought used. Current: 99 Suburban, 12 Caddy, 16 Colorado.

For our main cars used for commuting, and day to day stuff, we’re usually getting from 150k to 200k in miles before selling. My current Honda is going strong at 196k and I love it still. Looks and runs great. Toyota’ and Honda’s have been our best vehicles for the most part. Starting, though, to look at next vehicles as a part time hobby.

RunningBum mentioned if you like the car why get rid of it...

I would agree... I had an Acura TL 6 speed and loved the car.. and except for that stupid truck that stopped after turning that I did not see and the bar on the back cutting the top of the engine off with a relatively slow hit I would still be driving... it was a 2004... I would just be hitting 75K to 80K miles...

Boy, some of you give up on cars awfully early.

The truck is an 11 with 97k on it. I see no reason why it won't be kicking for another decade or more. My only motive for replacing it before the wheels fall off is that I take it to some pretty remote places where it might be extremely problematic for it not to start.

The van is a '05 with 136k. No major problems, still runs like a top. If it survives contact with a pair of new drivers in the next few years, it will probably go with one of them to college. At some point when the first one actually has a license we will likely end up with a third vehicle in the fleet. The nice thing about a 15 year old minivan is that I don't really care if one of the kids destroys it.

It's not been my daily driver for many years, but I've owned my 68 GTO for 39 years so far.
Longest daily driver type vehicle is 18 years for 97 Expedition. Ironically I gave it to my sister 3 years ago, and will be getting it back in a week.

1998 F-150 Lariat Edition, extended cab pickup with 48,000 miles on it. It's still like new.

2002 BMW 325 CI convertible - 112,000 miles on it.

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe with 88,000 miles on it.

All of the above are sticking around for the foreseeable future.

I have been trading my pickup trucks between 90K and 120K. Usually when they need a set of tires. What they are giving me for trade (on a true comparison of cash discount & over-valued trade allowance) has been much higher than what I would be willing to pay for the same vehicle used. We traded the car last fall for an SUV. Car was 10 years and 120K. Car actually went to Son#2 as a daily driver.

When I was younger, we would run them until the scrap man was waving us in when we drove past. But at some point I got tired of having unreliable vehicles, got the kids out on their own, and decided we could afford better rolling stock. Our lifestyle is changing, and the number of miles per year is going to drop radically. I would expect that we will put considerably fewer miles on the pickup, and more (percentage wise) on the SUV. So we will probably trade it in 4-5 years with 80K to 100K. We run a credit card with % towards new vehicles, so we usually get an additional $4k off the deal. Takes the sting out of the first year depreciation.

I keep my car until I do not like it anymore .I currently drive a 2017 Toyota Rav 4 that I really like so it is safe for years .

2014 Camry has 108,000 and would probably last another 5 years, but i think I may want a van to travel in for the next few years so it may be going. The van will be purchased used as I only plan on keeping it three years. At that time I should have seen enough of America and Canada, plus DearDog will be to old to travel and camp much.
At 60 I probably only have a few more years of cross country drives in me. I notice most of my friends don't drive much after 70. How many more cars can I expect to need? Maybe I'll pick up a nice used Miata or Corvette before I get to old to enjoy it. Already too old to not look like a cliche driving one now.

At 60 I probably only have a few more years of cross country drives in me. I notice most of my friends don't drive much after 70. How many more cars can I expect to need? Maybe I'll pick up a nice used Miata or Corvette before I get to old to enjoy it. Already too old to not look like a cliche driving one now.

Yes, go for the roadster. It's worth it. I am 75 and this last year picked up a BMW convertible (5 speed manual). Oh, and I drive from Texas to California and Connecticut twice per year (two separate trips). I love the open road and seeing the USA!

Toyota lovers here :D.
Had a Corolla with a manual shift for 8 years (3 yrs old at the time of purchase). Cannot recall the mileage. The AC stopped working but still drove for another 1 or 2 years before trading in for a new Corolla (automatic) which is almost 8 y.o. and has 80K+ now.
Our Camry is 16 y.o. and has 125K miles. Had to get a new starter last year.:dance:

It appears that most of us on this forum are keeping cars around a very long time. The auto industry is thankful, I'm sure, that this group is not your typical American consumer.

It appears that most of us on this forum are keeping cars around a very long time. The auto industry is thankful, I'm sure, that this group is not your typical American consumer.

True, but DS and DD buy every 2-3 years at 50K each time, so the auto industry is safe for now. :crazy:

As an engineer, I have bought used luxury cars for myself and drive them until the wheels fall off. Cars are a hobby for me - other gear heads will relate. Current Daily Driver is a 2007 S550 with 98,000 miles.

On the other hand, I insist that the wheels that DW drive are much newer luxury vehicles (2-3 years old purchased) and trade up at around 120,000 for reliability reasons. (Bathtub curve mentioned earlier). Don't want her calling a tow for some breakdown. The purpose of buying used lux is to get the latest safety features.

Two weeks ago DW had a T-bone collision at highway speed of 45 mph. Both vehicles totaled - she was in a 2013 GLK 350. Bruised all over and a fractured right arm repaired with metal rods on Friday. She will fully recover. Other driver in a 2015 E250 suffered a fractured right ankle. She had surgery just before my wife, and will fully recover after not walking for the next 8 weeks. After seeing the vehicles and knowing the speed of the crash, I am unbelievablely grateful that both were not more seriously injured.

If you have not already done so - look up the crash ratings (and even videos) for your car and those you love. Check to ensure your auto insurance is from a reputable company and you have enough. (Kudos to MetLife)

Economy of the ride is my fourth tier on priorities. (Firing Order - Safety, reliability, insurability, economy, and lets face it - pizazz)

No sense in being frugal if you are dead or have a quality of life injury.

Last edited:
Had a Corolla with a manual shift for 8 years (3 yrs old at the time of purchase). Cannot recall the mileage. The AC stopped working but still drove for another 1 or 2 years before trading in for a new Corolla (automatic) which is almost 8 y.o. and has 80K+ now.
Our Camry is 16 y.o. and has 125K miles. Had to get a new starter last year.:dance:

I don't own a Toyota, but read that Consumer Reports ranked the tiny Prius C as the most reliable passenger car for 2018. Who would have thunk that? :popcorn:

Consumer Reports released its annual list of the 10 most reliable cars. The publication created the list by analyzing survey responses on more than 500,000 vehicles, and used the responses to predict which cars will create the fewest problems for their owners.

Toyota placed seven vehicles on the list, more than any other automaker, and took the top spot with its Lexus GX SUV.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-reliable-cars-of-2018-consumer-reports-2018-10

Until they die or become too expensive to fix which is usually around 150-200k/miles.

VERY enlightening theme throughout this thread.

Apparently, people who don't p!ss away money on depreciating assets (so as to impress other people who don't really care) are able to retire earlier than most?

Hmm...Who woulda' thunk it?

(2004 Mazda 6, 87k. First, last, and only new car ever purchased. Pretty much looks and drives like it did the day I bought it.)

Birdster

Last edited:
Could you please elaborate on this? What's CPO and how does this work? What deals now do you have in mind?

Thanks

CPO is certified pre owned. I think all dealers sell them. They are used cars that the dealer certifies to be in good repair and then warranties them. Usually for a year. I once bought a car that was CPO. It had one year left on the manufacturer warranty and the dealer added a year and 12K miles. So, I got a used car with two years and about 20K miles of bumper to bumper warranty.

My current and previous cars were Corollas. The earlier car was actually a 1991 Geo Prism, which as you probably know was the same as a Corolla but assembled in California. I owned it from 1992-2007. My current car is the real deal, a 2007 Corolla, which I bought new and have owned since 2007. That's 27 years of owning Corollas. Both were automatic.

And those are the only Corollas I have driven in my lifetime. In the 1980s, just after I learned how to drive in 1981, my parents bought a used 1979 Corolla, a stick with no A/C. They had that car until late 1984 when they bought a new car, a 1985 Corolla. They had it for only a year because it got towed and was mistakenly reported as stolen due to a snafu by the tower. By the time that got figured out, it was too late to get the car back.

And my dad bought a new 1987 Chevy Nova, the forerunner of the Prism. Like the Prism, it was basically a Corolla - its interior looked like my Prism. It was a stick but I don't recall if had A/C, as I never drove it and rarely rode in it.

My retirement present to me was a brand-new 2003 GMC special ordered pickup truck which I still have, with 101,500 miles on it. Yesterday we drove it about 200 miles but that is by far the exception. Usually it sits in the garage and the daily driver is the 2014 Honda Accord. On a good day the pickup gets 18 mpg and the Honda almost twice that.

When I finally do have to replace the pickup I'm giving serious consideration to a CPO or go to one of the used-car dealers that specialize in newer vehicles.

Vehicle model years 1997-2007.

Getting rid of the oldest soon...200,000+ city miles, suspension shot, getting hard to find parts.

Currently cleaning up my recently-deceased aunt's mid-1990s Toyota Camry with 200,000+ (but highway) miles...if her kids don't want it I'll probably buy it & daily drive it awhile.

Back
Top Bottom