How many have bought something "cool" after an inheritance?

Make sure you check how old the bonds are. They quit paying interest after 30 years.

Yes, I know. I decided not to worry about it and kept the bond to give to DD even though it stopped paying interest a few years before she went off to college. She graduated over 5 years ago, so the bond has long since been cashed and it gave her a bit of a connection to the great-grandmother who died when DD was too young to remember her.

Nothing left when my parents passed away. Nursing home facilities got all they had for their combined 10 year stay. I'm good with not getting anything because they had great care till they passed away.

I'm hoping thou I can leave something for my son and his family when we pass on.

I inherited Mom's mid 6 figure estate last year. Forty% of it has been invested in the market since then, so it has grown nicely. The other 60% is in short term CD's and will either be used to fund a more costly, but downsized home, or stay part of our fixed income portfolio.

Inherited 57.5k from my uncle and gave it to our combined 5 children.

Interesting subject. I inherited about $120K from my mom (who lived soooo below her means) and I was her last remaining child. Both my brothers (who lived way above their means) died around this time so I gave it all to my SIL's who were not left with a lot of assets. I did not need any $ but they did. Neither brother knew much about their financial matters yet their DW's assumed they did!! It gave me great satisfaction in helping them out. For the first time I could say it was worth far more than the money.

Franklin, that was very unselfish and what a kind thing to do. Outstanding!!

My uncle who got me interested in investing died in 1997 and left me 25k. To honor him each year I would max out my Roth as well as my DW's until all 25k was invested. Today it's worth 200k! I think he'd be proud.

We just received a large inheritance from DW’s parents. Equivalent to about 40% of our stash pre-inheritance. We are going to purchase a 2nd home in Colorado for our enjoyment and that of our kids and grandies. We are also giving money to the kids and grandies now, since we have more than we seemingly can spend. While I wish DW’s parents had spent their own money on themselves, it has been quite a blessing for us. DW’s parents just weren’t the types who enjoyed change or new things. So LBYM for them wasn’t an objective so much as a necessity of how they needed to live. As for me and DW, we are trying to learn from that in the opposite way and blow that dough on things we enjoy while we can.

Interesting subject. I inherited about $120K from my mom (who lived soooo below her means) and I was her last remaining child. Both my brothers (who lived way above their means) died around this time so I gave it all to my SIL's who were not left with a lot of assets. I did not need any $ but they did. Neither brother knew much about their financial matters yet their DW's assumed they did!! It gave me great satisfaction in helping them out. For the first time I could say it was worth far more than the money.

I can't think of too many people who would have done what you did.

What an outstanding example of selflessness.

No inheritance yet. Only chance of one is my dad and given the split it wouldn't be much even if he passed today. As others have said, I'm just hoping there's enough to see him to the finish line.

I did receive a gift from my grandmother at 18. It was a $1K bond. I held on to it for a year and ultimately used it to buy the engagement ring given to DW. So, I'd say it was a pretty good investment. I've often thought about giving her an upgrade. That bug hit me pretty hard on our 40th anniversary but the truth is that neither of us wear jewelry any more nor do we go many places where we'd wear it even if we did. Ultimately, I think DW would be a little upset if I spent money on that now given that she is way more LBYM than me. So, we went for a nice dinner.

I do hope I can leave a meaningful amount to my daughters, but the main goal is to do my best to not need any assistance from them.

I was renting a house, after being homeless for a while.
I had a good (for me) job and things looked like they could work out fine.
I found a home for sale, selling cheap as it needed some work, since I literally had no savings, my Uncle lent me $10K for the down payment.

Just before I closed on the house, my Mom suddenly died, and left me $70K so I was able to buy the house with a much smaller mortgage as I put it all on the house.

Last year my grandmother passed and left me 54,000. I'm 40 years old and stuck it in it's own account in vanguard. It's at $61,572 today. I plan to let it grow for as long as I can.

My older sister bought a pontoon boat, camper, and other toys. To each their own.

I had the proverbial long lost Uncle. He never married. When he passed away 30 years ago, my 2 brothers and I were his closest surviving relatives. His estate was worth about $75,000. That $25,000 per brother vanished quickly: local authorities found a bank deposit box key, and inside that box was his handwritten will leaving my brothers and me $750 each, with the rest going to charity.
I bought a backyard storage shed. Does that qualify as "cool"?

My father recently passed and a rental condo that he owned was just sold. I am using those funds to pay for. garage at our retirement house.

I used the inheritance to pay off the morgage. Some went into the bank and investments.
This allowed me to save enough for early retirement about 15 years later.

Nothing inherited here (yet) ...Mom is still kicking. I am in charge of her finances ... she has plenty. Sooo I have her paying for the annual lake house rental (12k) so the clan (29 strong) can gather from all over the country. It's what dad would have wanted ... his ashes are in the lake.

In the 1980's, DH received inheritances from his Grandmother/Mom ( they died months apart) and his Great Uncle. We bought some furniture, some nice jewelry, put the rest in CDs.
I received inheritance from my parents. We paid off Heloc, kids college loans, gave kids $10,000 and kept the rest in IRA and brokerage.

We'd give it all back in a nanosecond to have them all back with us though!

Well said.

My parents were poor, Dad was an alcoholic, and they lived in an apartment. When Dad died in 1982, I got to pay for his funeral and burial plot as my sisters were dirt poor like my parents. We moved Mom to live with my sister.

When Mom died in 1993, she was living in my rent house with my sister, who was just coming out of a bad divorce. I paid for the cremation and the memorial service. If I recall, I also helped my sister pay for her divorce.

No inheritances here.

When it's my turn to go over the Rainbow Bridge, my daughter will inherit a nice chunk.

I have high hopes I will get $420k when the “family farm” sells.

My plans are:
pay off my mortgage on our home,
pay off the mortgage on our FL condo, and
have about $120k of “extra money”.

The only things i’ve inherited so far are genes. My German sense of humor, Spanish punctuality, Irish sobriety, Italian seriousness, and my English informality - all the things I have inherited. :)

:LOL:

Bought a ring to wear in memory of DF. I'm wearing it now . . .

One grandparent left me $600. Used it to pay tuition at Community College.

DW passed over 9 years ago. A company bought a company that bought the company she worked for 35 years ago. The new company moved the pension plan to Fidelity and while they were cleaning records up found DW had a balance in her pension plan. I just got the 3rd round of paper work yesterday and on first read it looks like I'm due $900. Not sure what I'll do with the windfall.

I received a small inheritance when my father died a few years ago. I took a portion of it and had hardwood floors laid in a couple of my rooms. I really enjoy those floors and it is a nice reminder of my dad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom