How much do you drink?

In a one week period, how many alchoholic beverages do you drink on the average?

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • 1 - 3

Votes: 17 17.9%
  • 4 - 6

• 7 - 10

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • 11 - 15

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • 15+

• Total voters
wab said:
As you know, individual studies are all over the map.   . . .
Not the ones I looked at in the medical and scientific journals -- the studies that are peer reviewed and quantitative all say about the same thing. There is some variation in the quantitative results, but they are in pretty reasonable agreement.

There are also a number of articles that discuss why researchers (especially American researchers) have a tendancy to state their conclusions more conservatively than their data indicates, and tend not to mention that there is a longevity advantage of more alcohol than 2 drinks per day. Alcohol abuse is a real problem for some. Binge drinking really damages your health. In fact, there are studies that show 2 drinks-per-day is good while 5 drinks per week is bad if all those drinks are on Saturday night. Researchers do not want to encourage those that would abuse alcohol or binge drink. :)

((^+^)) SG said:
There are also a number of articles that discuss why researchers (especially American researchers) have a tendancy to state their conclusions more conservatively than their data indicates

Yeah, I'm sure studies have biases. Perhaps Americans are biased by their puritanical views. Perhaps European studies are biased by the fact that Europeans tend to consume their alcohol with a meal. A well done meta-analysis will offset some of these biases.

In any case, I think we basically agree: if you're going to get a girl drunk, just make sure she's not your wife. :)

Cut-Throat said:
Mikey,

Those tin canisters are the Single Malt Scotches! 8)

Cut-Throat,

I am relieved!  :)

Ha

Here is a pic of my wine cellar. :D

Attachments

• comfix-merch[1].jpg
    comfix-merch[1].jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 84
Actually this is a more realistic pic of what I have. :(

Attachments

• irawoodinc_1869_253915299[1].gif
    irawoodinc_1869_253915299[1].gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 74
I'd like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner, but  I can't think of a cost-effective way to do this.  My wife no longer drinks wine, so I'd have to open a whole bottle for myself.  I've tried a lot of ways to save half for the next day, but none have worked well enough.

The tiny bottles are too expensive per ounce, and the box wine doesn't last long enough.  

Help me drink more!  Any ideas?

TromboneAl said:
I'd like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner, but I can't think of a cost-effective way to do this. My wife no longer drinks wine, so I'd have to open a whole bottle for myself. I've tried a lot of ways to save half for the next day, but none have worked well enough.

The tiny bottles are too expensive per ounce, and the box wine doesn't last long enough.

Help me drink more! Any ideas?

Black box wines (which of course come in a box). On sale in my neck of the woods, they sell for about $17 for a box that equals four bottles. The quality in my opinion (and I think its shared by more than a few fellow posters) is as good as most $5-10 bottles of wine. As its in a mylar bag inside the box and air doesnt get introduced until you're almost draining the bag, the wine stays good for weeks. Maybe months.

Not that I'd have any direct experience with that.

I like the cabernet and the whites. Not as fond of the merlot. I find the cab to be very comparable in quality to yellowtail. If you've had the yellowtail and liked it, you'll probably like the black box. Sells at most Albertsons and Target stores.

If nothing else, its a ready source of cooking wine.

I've tried the Hardy's in the box and liked the reds (not as much as the black box) but extremely disliked the whites. Very perfumey, almost floral. Wife hated them too. The shiraz is good though.

There are a few other "premium" box wines I havent tried like Delicato.

If you want to go really cheap, franzias "vintner select" is as good as any of the two-buck style inexpensive wines. Good enough to cook with, ok for a "jelly jar" glass of wine with a plate of pasta. Not something I'd want to drink regularly though. I get these once or twice a year from costco or sams club for $5.99 for a 5 liter box. At about a dollar a "bottle" equivalent, its incredibly cheap for a decent cooking wine.

Corbett Canyon is better than franzia but not as good as black box. I like their wine in the box better than their wine in the bottle. About $8 for a three liter (four bottle) box.

You also have another fairly obvious option. Just drink the whole dang bottle you opened and call it even.

TromboneAl said:
I'd like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner, but  I can't think of a cost-effective way to do this.  My wife no longer drinks wine, so I'd have to open a whole bottle for myself.  I've tried a lot of ways to save half for the next day, but none have worked well enough.

Help me drink more!  Any ideas?

I use these types of stoppers for my wine  http://www.barparts.com/Crown+Bottle+Stoppers.html

Just put one of these babies on the bottle after two glasses and keep it in the fridge until the next day.

If you're near a Trader Joe's, the best deal around is the Charles Shaw, a.k.a. "Two Buck Chuck" wine. It's not bad for $1.99! They have Merlot, Cabernet, Savignon Blanc, Shiraz, and Chardonnay.

I have come to love boxed wine.   Specifically, Tindindi (available from Costco in WA).   Just last night, I had a drink from a box that we opened *months* ago.   Still quite tasty.   (If you don't mind a little cardboard in your diet.  :))

Being from Northern California, I've acquired a snobby Sonoma and Alexander Valley pallat. I cringe at the thought of *boxed* wine (sorry :() I also don't care for Australian wines either (aussie wines tastes "weird" to me).

CT - Your rack is indeed beautiful. I'd love to have something like that in my basement.

cube_rat said:
CT - Your rack is indeed beautiful.  I'd love to have something like that in my basement.

Hur, hur, hur. Racy stuff!

Wine at Target and Alberson's, Costco and Trader Joes:confused:

Not in Happy Valley!  

You have to go to a State Store here.  That is still hard to get used to.   ::)

I like the Yellowtail too.  Also, Ironstone Merlot and Fetzer White Zin. which it the DW's first choice.   The selection of boxed wines here are pretty limited and are not what we like so we tend to buy by the case just because it is a pain to go to the State stores and wait in line forever...think DMV lines.   :p

SteveR, are you in NH? That's the only place I know that they call them State Stores.

Cj

OK this may sound like a weird place for wine but I read an article not too long ago about Idaho trying to get big into wine production. Some parts of the state are supposed to have the "right" climate. Has anyone tried wine from there?

Cut-Throat said:
No doubt about it the California wines are my favorite. And some of those California Reds at about $25 a bottle are the best I've ever had. :p

But my "everyday" wines are usually the Austrailian Varieties. Have you ever tried the Yellowtail Reds? - They are the best bargains I've found. At $5 a bottle they're a steal. I've got to spend about $12-$15 for a California Red to beat it. 8)

Yes, I've tried the Yellowtails and couldn't get used to the strange taste. :(

wildcat said:
OK this may sound like a weird place for wine but I read an article not too long ago about Idaho trying to get big into wine production. Some parts of the state are supposed to have the "right" climate. Has anyone tried wine from there?

Spuds and Chardonnay. Who would've thunk? 8)

Outtahere said:
SteveR, are you in NH?  That's the only place I know that they call them State Stores.

Cj

No, Utah....aka...Happy Valley.

When I lived in NC, they also had State stores as do several other states. You can only buy near beer (3.2%) in the grocery stores; everything else has to be from a State store.

SteveR said:
No, Utah....aka...Happy Valley.

When I lived in NC, they also had State stores as do several other states. You can only buy near beer (3.2%) in the grocery stores; everything else has to be from a State store.

We call our liquor stores "ABC stores" in NC, not State Stores. Alcohol Beverage Commission. They only sell hard liquor. Beer and wine can be bought at the grocery store. We do have many "dry" areas where no alcohol is sold, or limited alcohol is sold. Damn conservatives... ;)

(edited to add ;) )

justin said:
We call our liquor stores "ABC stores" in NC, not State Stores.  Alcohol Beverage Commission.  They only sell hard liquor.  Beer and wine can be bought at the grocery store.  We do have many "dry" areas where no alcohol is sold, or limited alcohol is sold.  Damn conservatives... 

Sorry Justin, I have lived too many places and sometimes get the stores mixed up. I now remember the ABC part...we used to just call them the state store since they are run by the State. Thanks for the clarification. And.....yes Damn conservatives and zealots.

Back
Top Bottom