How to share pics with overseas relative?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I took about 500 digital pics during my travels when I recently visited a relative overseas. I'd like to share them with her...and with possibly one or two others.

I'm guessing that she may want to download and/or print some of these pics.

I have zero experience with Google Drive, Photobucket or any other similar site. I'm hoping for something free /cheap with a short learning curve.

Any suggestions/recommendations? I'm on a PC and she's got an iPad, if that makes any difference.

omni

There are a lot of file sharing sites out there for free. Places like box.com and others. You upload the file, she downloads it. You can delete it after she downloads.

I used google drive to share pics with my husbands Italian cousins. I marked the folder as private - then emailed them invites - which unlocked it for them. They can download the pics or add comments online.

I use Dropbox.

Set up a "Public" Folder (giving only them access to it, if you want) and send them the URL in an e-mail. They will install Dropbox on their computer and you each can access the Folder locally. That way you don't have to worry about file size except if it goes over the Free 2 GBs. And you can each add to or subtract files so that it can become a long term project if desired.

Google Drive as noted above or Google Plus if they have an account.

Google drive is very easy. Make a folder, upload the pictures, and share it.

Dropbox is useful also.

For the two solutions it will be very easy to upload and also for the other to download if they want...

I use a combination of Picasa to manage pictures, and it links to my gmail account. I decide what to synchronize, and can mail out the link, or let the software send an email to the other person.

I use dropbox for misc files and Flickr for photos.

I send users an email link containing the URL for my dropbox. Flickr can be set up so that photos can be viewed by you only, family and friends, or public. Both have apps.

Omni - I would recommend Flickr - very simple learning curve and designed for photo sharing.

IF they are Windows Live Mail users, OneDrive will share them automatically just by sending them the pics in an email.

No in-depth instructions, but Google drive, or iCloud, or Amazon cloud, or Dropbox, or photo sites like snapfish or picasa are all possibilities. All can be shared with others, and if you manage the data limits, it's essentially free.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I've shared pictures with overseas friends with both Dropbox and Google drive. They are about equivalent difficulty. Find out if your friends already have accounts at any of the services mentioned by HFWR and go with whatever they have. If you or they don't have anything, you'll be happy with either google drive or dropbox. Go with whichever gives you the most free space.

Their interface and ease of use is very similar.

I use Photobucket but there are others as well. What I like about Photobucket is that you can create a private folder and put your photos in that and then password-protect it. They are clear in the TOS that this is not encrypted but to access it someone would have to know the randomly-generated URL for the folder. Not impervious but highly unlikely anyone would bother.

I used to use Flckr but loathe their TOS and took everything off. Read and understand that carefully.

I appreciate all of the responses. Thanks! :flowers:

Looks like I'll be spending New Year's day checking these out.

omni

Back
Top Bottom