I am finally going to buy an iPhone--Which one?

They may be announcing the iPhone 12 in a month or two, and it may be available before the holidays if you can get one. I have an iPhone X and will keep it for now since I’m happy with it. When 5G is more developed I’ll jump in.

I won't be getting an iPhone 12 because I don't want to spend that much money for something I won't use much. I might wait to see if the SE comes down in price if I can patch my old phone together for another month.

Does anyon pay for additional Apple storage, or are there other ways back-up w/o paying?
Some people do. But you can back up your photos to the Google Cloud, or can hook up a lightning cable to your phone and download them yourselves to a PC or Mac, back them up, and delete them from the device. Same with videos. My phone is a 6, and it's almost full. I keep having to delete apps, photos, and videos! I was hoping they'd announce the 12 today, but it was not to happen...!

My 6S Plus (whatever the bigger 6 is called) conked out on me a couple weeks ago. I had gotten it cheap because my company at the time paid for all but $150 of the cost in exchange for me agreeing to use the phone for business and personal use. I had the battery replaced a couple years ago when the battery started dying in just a few hours but got a discount on the battery since Apple had stated that the company knew that the batteries died after a certain time period had elapsed. Apple was forced to offer replacement batteries at a reduced rate for a limited time. Unfortunately, the phone just stopped working right so I had to buy a replacement quickly. No way I could wait for the 12.

I chose the 11. I thought I was getting a phone with the same dimensions as my 6 but it ended up being a little smaller. But the screen size isn’t that much smaller because there isn’t a home button like the 6 has. The screen size is maximized.

It’s a very nice phone. Very nice camera, good clear screen, lightweight and thin. It does have 5G but that is wasted on me; it doesn’t seem any different from 4G. But wow, the cost was crazy. I hope I don’t need another phone for several years because I don’t want to fork out that kind of money again for a long time.

I have always been an Android user until last year. My wife's LG died a sudden death so we needed to get her a new one. My DD and DSnlaw only have Apple and have been trying to get us on the wagon too for years. There was a sale at the time on the XR and after checking the specs we each got one. I can't wait for mine to kick the bucket. I will be going back to android. My DW loves hers mainly because DGD can facetime her a lot!The difference in the X and the XR is the type of screen according to my DD,it isn't as clear or some crap. As far as storage you cant add any storage on phone like I could with my Samsung you have to rent space from Apple cloud or get it from some other cloud system. I am not an Aple fanboy altho I too wish them well in the future because of the stock I have in them! ;-)

Well, I have held on to my flip phone for all these years but the thing is falling apart and Verizon tells me they are no longer going to support it so I need to get a new phone. I need an Apple phone that I can use on Verizon (Verizon is the only cell service available at my mountain cabin). I have an iPad and a MacBook and DH has an iPhone 8 so I need to get an iPhone of some sort. I don't want to spend a fortune on it--I use my iPad for calls and texts so I just need the iPhone when traveling. On the Verizon website I can get a 2020 SE for $400 or a refurbished iPhone 8 for $250. I can't tell there is much difference in them. I would not want anything any bigger. Any advice?

If you're mostly using it for calls and texts, you might as well minimize the cost.

Either of those phones will let you see if you are interested in browsing or watching videos or using the camera as well.

I also have iPad and laptop which I pack for travels. Also an 8 Plus, likely to upgrade to iPhone 12 Pro Max, probably the one with the biggest screen.

I've watched some videos on my 8 Plus and with the OLED screen, probably can see watching more.

Also kind of starting to realize that I may have to blow some of the dough, rather than hang on to it when I may not be as active with it.

i have read reviews of the 2020 SE that the 2 drawbacks are the camera is not as good and the battery life is not as long. if these 2 are not big concerns of yours then it may be a good choice.

All I can say is those reviewers were not reviewing the SE I got! Camera not as good, sure, but certainly good enough. If you want a camera, buy a camera! For selfies, snap shots, vacation pics, and just about everything most people do with a camera in their pocket it is better than just good enough.

But here is the one I really take exception to! Battery life is GREAT! The best I have ever had, and I am on my fourth model of smart phones! Both DW and I have SE 2020's. She came from the original SE and I from a 6S. It is not unusual for us to take it off a charger at 7 am, and at 10 pm have 85% battery left! With the other two phones, a recharge during the day would not be uncommon. If I wanted to charge at 10%, which I don't, I could get three days out of the battery. (your use may differ) My Son and DIL both have SE 2020's and they confirm the same battery life. (NOW) having said that the 11 and most likely the 12 will have longer life battery, and twice the price.

If you are an average smart phone user, and Iphone is what you want, go with the SE 2020. Not knocking others, it's just the best bank for the buck. It's also why Apple just announced an IWatch SE.

I also recommend Swappa. Give them a call besides perusing the website. They were very helpful to me when I was an iphone newbie.

When discussing the iPhone SE, one needs to differentiate the original SE (which has the same form factor as the iPhone 5), and the new (2020) iPhone SE (which has the same form factor as the iPhone 7/8).

When I got my 11 last November the new SE was not yet available, and with my older SE becoming more of a problem with it's battery life deteriorating it forced my hand.

In addition to other good advice in this thread, I would suggest you go to a retailer just to get a feel for phone size. There are pretty big differences among the product line and knowing what size you are most comfortable with will help narrow the choices.

Unfortunately most Apple stores are still closed? But this is what I did when selecting the iPhone8. I checked out all the iPhone models in hand.

When will 5G phones be coming out? I cannot wait very long as my old flip phone is pretty much dead.

Who knows what is going to happen with 5G or how it will play out. I wouldn’t wait in that. I might be a reason to upgrade a few years later when the picture is much clearer.

When I got my 11 last November the new SE was not yet available, and with my older SE becoming more of a problem with it's battery life deteriorating it forced my hand.
Same here. Since I knew the form factor was going to increase to iPhone 8 size anyway, I just went ahead and moved to that size.

Wish I had known about the $200 SE deal from Walmart, if you see any other SE deals please let me know! I might can wait until mid Oct but my old phone is about to die. Sorry I won't be helping your Apple stock value much (I just want the most basic phone) but I did buy a MacBook last year so there's that.
We're getting close to Turkey Day and deals will come along. With Verizon I get teaser offers via text message. Rather than go through Verizon with the purchase, I'd buy the phone outright at best price and activate it for my Verizon line.

On the Verizon site you also have to look close at the prices and whether your plan changes when you purchase through the site.

We're getting close to Turkey Day and deals will come along. With Verizon I get teaser offers via text message. Rather than go through Verizon with the purchase, I'd buy the phone outright at best price and activate it for my Verizon line.

On the Verizon site you also have to look close at the prices and whether your plan changes when you purchase through the site.

Thanks for the advice about Black Friday.. Of course my Verizon plan will change and be more expensive with a smart phone--I have an old dumb phone plan with just a few minutes of talk and text--they don't have that plan anymore.

If you really wanna flip phone, it may be possible.
https://www.cellularphonesforseniors.net/2019/05/verizon-flip-phones-for-seniors.html

I think any phone from Verizon will change your plan (more $$$ for them) just like a smart phone. That is how they roll.

I have decided I really need a smart phone for apps--like the Walmart grocery pick up, restaurant pick ups, Uber (if we ever go out again), tickets for music events and sports (if we ever go again). In the modern world you are pretty much forced to have a smartphone.

Good suggestion. I am looking to upgrade my iPhone 6, But do NOT want a bigger phone. The SE looks looks like the same size, so I will go to a seller and check them out. My biggest problem now is data storage. I only have 16GB :eek:

Next one will have 64, or 128.

Side note: does anyone pay for additional Apple storage, or are there other ways back-up w/o paying?

Can't you add in a memory card to store stuff on these :confused:

I have always been an Android user until last year. My wife's LG died a sudden death so we needed to get her a new one. My DD and DSnlaw only have Apple and have been trying to get us on the wagon too for years. There was a sale at the time on the XR and after checking the specs we each got one. I can't wait for mine to kick the bucket. I will be going back to android. My DW loves hers mainly because DGD can facetime her a lot!The difference in the X and the XR is the type of screen according to my DD,it isn't as clear or some crap. As far as storage you cant add any storage on phone like I could with my Samsung you have to rent space from Apple cloud or get it from some other cloud system. I am not an Aple fanboy altho I too wish them well in the future because of the stock I have in them! ;-)

I still like my droid phones, as I can add memory, I think I added 256 GB to my current phone.
I have noticed they are getting in on the sealed in battery trick like Apple.

My old phones I could replace the battery by buying one for $15 on Amazon and replace it easy peasy, now the battery is non-replaceable :mad: Limits the life of a phone to a few years.

Can't you add in a memory card to store stuff on these :confused:

Not on the iPhone 6.

I need to look at the Google cloud and downloading photos. I used to download and delete photos all the time, then iOS "upgraded". Once you put it on the cloud, downloading becomes more complicated (particularly with a Windows computer). I will figure it out.

Have you called Verizon and talked to a rep. Sometimes they will offer specials on the phone to people switching from flip to smart. Last year at this time we got 3 free lower end Samsung smart phone and we could have an apple model free as well.

They also waived the activation fees and did free next day shipping.

You can always take the free model and check it out for awhile...I believe it was the usual where they put the phone on monthly payment and credit you will the payment every month to zero it out.

Last edited:
Not on the iPhone 6.

I need to look at the Google cloud and downloading photos. I used to download and delete photos all the time, then iOS "upgraded". Once you put it on the cloud, downloading becomes more complicated (particularly with a Windows computer). I will figure it out.

Yeah you mainly need storage for photos and videos.

I don't sync my iPhone to iCloud Photos, though I usually don't keep a lot of photos on my iPhone.

I have 64 GB and have hundreds of apps, store a few gigs of music and podcasts.

But not full length movies or TV shows.

Have you called Verizon and talked to a rep. Sometimes they will offer specials on the phone to people switching from flip to smart. Last year at this time we got 3 free lower end Samsung smart phone and we could have an apple model free as well.

They also waived the activation fees and did free next day shipping.

You can always take the free model and check it out for awhile...I believe it was the usual where they put the phone on monthly payment and credit you will the payment every month to zero it out.

Good idea--I will call Verizon and see if I can get a deal. I have been a customer of theirs for 30 years--doubt if that matters.

I have the plain 11. I also got the larger memory (128 GB) as I have about 3,800 songs and 11,000 pictures. I use my phone for everything; camera, calendar, internet search device, Kindle and oddly enough as a phone...

Iphone 8 Plus is fine with me

I have made it a personal point to never buy the later models of iPhones -- they are too damn expensive. Instead I go to the aftermarket -- about 4 months ago I upgraded from a 5 to an 8Plus -- I paid $300 on ebay for it, and have been very happy.....I also switched service from ATT prepaid to Consumer Cellular, and have been very happy with them as well.

I would wait a month if you possibly can until the new phones come out. You don't have to get an iPhone 12 and I am not suggesting that. But, prices on all older phones will go down at that point because there is a new generation phone out there. You should get an older phone then for a better price.

If you get an older phone do look and see if it can be updated to iOS 14. You want to be able to update to the newest OS. You particularly don't want to be an OS that doesn't get updates. You want the better security of the current OS. You could consider the reported new 5.4" iphone called the iphone mini which will be much less than a regular iphone. But if that doesn't work then I would suggest one from no more than a couple of years ago because of the OS issue.

Back
Top Bottom