I am finally going to buy an iPhone--Which one?

SE worked for me

Last week I upgraded from an iPhone 6s Plus 64 GB to the new SE 128 GB. I was tired of the bulk of the Plus as well as the battery life was declining. I am so far delighted with the SE. .

I did the same and am perfectly happy with the SE. Not a photographer so whatever quality photos I'm getting on the SE are just fine. Battery lasts all day and lots and lots of storage.

I love my SE. It is small and does everything the bigger phones do. If you are used to a flip phone at least the SE fits in your pocket and is not heavy. Takes awesome photos. I also have a 6S plus and prefer my older model SE. But there is a newer model SE.

I would wait a month if you possibly can until the new phones come out. You don't have to get an iPhone 12 and I am not suggesting that. But, prices on all older phones will go down at that point because there is a new generation phone out there. You should get an older phone then for a better price.

If you get an older phone do look and see if it can be updated to iOS 14. You want to be able to update to the newest OS. You particularly don't want to be an OS that doesn't get updates. You want the better security of the current OS. You could consider the reported new 5.4" iphone called the iphone mini which will be much less than a regular iphone. But if that doesn't work then I would suggest one from no more than a couple of years ago because of the OS issue.

I am the original poster--I will probably wait a little longer but my old phone is not wanting to charge so I may not be able to wait too long. I will probably get the 2020 SE but I might look at these new mini, I had not heard about that

I upgraded from the old SE to the SE 2020. It shares many parts with the IPhone 8 so cases and things of that nature fit exactly. I love a smaller footprint and since I wear mine in a hip holster I didn’t want a mini iPad hanging on my belt. The camera is great, the battery life has been fine and I’m enjoying it, especially the price: $300 for product red. I’d recommend it. Got mine through Consumer Cellular on a monthly plan. Should be paid off soon. Don’t need a $1000 phone.

I might add that I got my older SE at Walmart in 2018 for $135 and I use the Straight Talk plan from Walmart for $45 per month unlimited.

I would wait a month if you possibly can until the new phones come out. You don't have to get an iPhone 12 and I am not suggesting that. But, prices on all older phones will go down at that point because there is a new generation phone out there. You should get an older phone then for a better price.

Or just blow that dough and get the newest one.

Signed,

A shareholder.

:LOL:

Well, I have held on to my flip phone for all these years but the thing is falling apart and Verizon tells me they are no longer going to support it so I need to get a new phone. I need an Apple phone that I can use on Verizon (Verizon is the only cell service available at my mountain cabin). I have an iPad and a MacBook and DH has an iPhone 8 so I need to get an iPhone of some sort. I don't want to spend a fortune on it--I use my iPad for calls and texts so I just need the iPhone when traveling. On the Verizon website I can get a 2020 SE for $400 or a refurbished iPhone 8 for $250. I can't tell there is much difference in them. I would not want anything any bigger. Any advice?

Wait for the iphone 12 with 5g to come out. The used 10s and 11s with the 3 lens camera will be a steal.

Love my 2020 SE 2!

i have read reviews of the 2020 SE that the 2 drawbacks are the camera is not as good and the battery life is not as long. if these 2 are not big concerns of yours then it may be a good choice.

In my opinion the savings in getting the SE 2 are worth giving up the top of the line photo capabilities of the 11 or other models. The camera is fine for my purposes and the battery does fine too.

I love the dependability of iPhones and have been very happy with this upgr from the iPhone 6.

Don

Smart Phone

Say it isn't so! It's only a matter of time before old geezer Consumers Cellular will discontinue my flip phone. At this point I have my phone, DW's smart phone and DM's flip phone on my plan for about $60/ month. I might add I reverted back to the flip phone when I turned in my company iphone at retirement. Didn't miss it a bit.

My husband and I are in the process of trying to choose a smart phone right now. But no i's for us. We have kept our flip phones for years, but feel we are being pushed by society to get smart phones. It's just so pervasive. I have a Samsung tablet, so we are probably going to get Samsung phones. I hope we can use Consumer Cellular as we will not be big users of the new phones. My husband wants a nice camera and I want coupons and such that seem to be only available to smart phone users. I hope we're not making a mistake.

My husband and I are in the process of trying to choose a smart phone right now. But no i's for us. We have kept our flip phones for years, but feel we are being pushed by society to get smart phones. It's just so pervasive.

Interesting parallel. I have an old letter from my great-grandfather saying essentially the same thing about feeling forced to get a "horseless carriage".

Check reviews

When I need new gizmos, I type "reviews [name and model of device #1 under consideration]" for each candidate, and scan several reviews to see how each is received by the reviewer. Not just rating, but narrative comments. This helps me find what to others may be a minor issue, but to me could be a dealbreaker (storage, camera, screen size & resolution, volume, battery life, wired or usb headset, standard mini usb/usb-C, lightning…) Every manufacturer has trade-offs, even on high-end flagship phones (though they downplay that); point is to see whether their trade-offs conform to your wish-list.

iPhone

I would encourage you to buy the latest version. Reason they all have a learning curve. No reason to buy one with older technology and the support for older phones are not supported at some point.

I love my SE. It is small and does everything the bigger phones do.

I have had an iPhone 7 for almost four years, and have had the battery changed once.

Once I'm getting out into the world more often, I will probably change it out for a new 2020 SE.

So bite the bullet and go for an iPhone 11. It’s a terrific phone, the camera is awesome, with three lenses. The battery is pretty robust.

It’s a really fun telephone. I’m not sure that’s actually a thing, but it’s really slick piece of technology.

I am the original poster--I will probably wait a little longer but my old phone is not wanting to charge so I may not be able to wait too long. I will probably get the 2020 SE but I might look at these new mini, I had not heard about that

Reminds me of my dithering about getting a new phone. I waited far too long and limped along. Both DW and I have the iPhone XR and have really liked it for 2 years now. For myself I prefer a large size that fits in my pocket. Easier to read with my glasses on and presents photos well. Lately I've ditched the case as it is easier to put my my jeans that way and looks so nice. I don't drop phones ... yet. Many clear cases yellow after some months.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. :)

I don't drop phones ... yet. Many clear cases yellow after some months.

Aren't you the lucky one :D

When I worked, I did not have any case for the company phone. They didn't want to buy it. But they did replace 2 screens that broke when dropped. 1 from only a foot. My non-scientific experience says, if it lands on a corner, you are screwed.

For my retirement phone, I bought a case and the glass screen cover. Very happy with both, though they are now almost 5 years old and wearing out themselves. The screen covers eventually get chipped on the edges, and that causes stress points. So I have a few cracks in the cover, but none on the phone screen itself, at least as far as I can tell.

When I upgrade in the next few months, it will likely be an XE 2020 for about $400, and I will spend another $50 or so for a new case and screen cover.

I've dropped phones but finally got a visible long crack on my screen on my 3-year old iPhone 8 Plus which I was planning to upgrade anyways.

Perfectly still useable though.

But I always pick up a cheap case, usually under $20 or even $10.

I do have a case which I intend to use for vacations in the non-pandemic future. :)

I love the OtterBox Defender case for my 8. I never worry about drops (plenty) and works with wireless charging. Built-in screen cover and no TouchID problems.

Back
Top Bottom