I Had to Put My Dog Down Yesterday

I'm sorry for your loss but glad you were able to provide ultimate compassion. My experience in these same circumstances (several occasions) has led me towards healing through adopting another rescue. I've found that many rescue agencies use https://www.petfinder.com/ and know many people that have used this site to start the healing.

I'm sorry for your loss but glad you were able to provide ultimate compassion.

Me too, and you gave your furry friend a gift in view of the ailments. We just passed the year mark on our cat Zorro. We still have his companion cat Becca with us, so she provides (even still) a lot of comfort.

Very sorry for your loss. We had to have our long time mixed breed dog put down 2 years ago between Christmas and new years. We took her to the vet but asked them to come out to the car to do the deed. She had a lot of anxiety about the veterinary office. We bury our critters on my in laws 100 acre woods. So we brought her home with us. Later the vet told us they do house calls for the final visit. We'll definitely be taking advantage of that service next time. On a happier note we got adopted by a beautiful lab golden mix, about 9 months after we had our first dog put down. Friends were moving and couldn't take her.

Let yourself cry and grieve for as long as it takes no matter what anyone says. Everyone's process is different. Don't fight the grief or it will persist.
It's a horrible thing to have to do but we sometimes have to.

Saddened for your loss!

It is almost a year since the passing of Riley the Wonder Dog. We have gotten to the point where we are able to just treasure the fond memories.

But I can't start looking at his pics on my phone, especially of that last trip to the vet, without new sadness.

I pray yours will pass quickly and the fond memories persist.

I'm just putting my 2 cents in here - They certainly do become a family member, sometimes even more loved than some actual human family members. Wife and I have been through five adopted rescue dogs since we've been together. We like to feel it "honors" our pet that just died by adopting a new one.

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are the greatest providing us with so much joy and we want to do what's best for them. Gut wrenching decision to make; it helped me before and after to think better to be one day early than one day late.

I am so sorry! We put a cat down the Monday before Thanksgiving. She could walk one minute and could not the next. I miss her and she wasn't very loving. I have realized how much I am going to miss our dog when it is time for him to go and it hurts my heart so I can't imagine how you are feeling!

Awe man, that's hard. So sorry for the loss. Been through that twice, so hard. Praying fond memories replace the pain soon.

You did something very loving. You did not let him suffer.

I’m am so sorry for your loss.

You gave Trooper a great life, and I'm sure you had some wonderful adventures together. Then, you did the last kind thing for him, as we must. I've had to do it several times and it doesn't get any easier. I still miss them all and will never forget them. Each one is special and unique in its own way. Mine is 10 now and I don't even want to think about being without her. Still, I will most likely rescue another because I enjoy the company of a dog. Without one, the house feels awfully quiet and empty. I'm glad you still have your other one. Lavish some love on it and take all the time you need to grieve.

This journey is different for everyone. it's been over 3 years since I lost my heart dog to acute kidney failure. I thought about her all day, every day for weeks on end. I cried constantly. Still, after all this time I can't think about her without tears welling up. It gets easier over time. You stop thinking about them all day every day. You stop looking for them. You stop thinking it's time to feed them dinner or time to let them go outside. For me, that took months to get past. But the hurt is still there, just buried and scarred over.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It will probably take weeks if not months for the hurt not to feel so raw, but it will get easier.

Oh, AlbaCrush, my heart just breaks for you! Unfortunately I'm with Miss Molly above--it takes years sometimes. Just let the tears flow, and flow ... it's the only thing you can do. We love them like children, don't we?

Like others, I've been through it many times. The first one was definitely the hardest--I was totally blindsided at how life-changing it was. My little Yorkie had been my best friend and constant companion for nearly 7 years--a pocket dog who did EVERYTHING with me. He died of a blood clot in his lung on the way home from a walk in the park (he had a rare blood disease). I'll never forget the keening sound he made as he sat straight up in my lap and struggled for his last breath. Wrenching. I lost 11 lbs the first week he was gone. I was so heartbroken that I actually moved across the country from CA back to VT, to be closer to my family, because I needed the support. (I also thought if I'm reacting this way to my dog dying, how on earth would I survive if a family member died and I was across the country?)

I still, 22 years after his death, have his favorite little stuffed toy on my shelf, his frisbee on my bulletin board (we did a charity walk for pets together, and that was the "swag" at the end), and of course, his ashes in my headboard.

I have moved on too, of course--I've been owned by 7 other dogs since then AND fostered 16 more.

Two things helped me after the death of one of my dogs. One was my vet telling me that the best way to honor your dog is to never be able to live without a dog in your life again, because your special one added so much to your life. I grabbed onto that with both hands and held tight (although it was about 2 years before I was able to take in another one without feeling like I was "betraying" my love for little Rocket). You just have to take it one day at a time and heal at your own speed--then think about giving another one the loving home they deserve.

The other thing that helped me was when someone said "your dog loved YOU as much as you loved her". Strangely, that had never occurred to me--but I found it SO comforting! To be loved THAT MUCH? I was moved.

I'm sure this loss is magnified even more by it being the holiday season. And it'll come up every year at this time ... My heart goes out to you.

I pestered everybody I knew for ages talking about it. I was so grateful to those willing to listen. So if you run out of people like that, feel free to PM me. I get it.

Many hugs to you. Your furkid was beautiful. Hopefully someday we'll see them again.

Last edited:
Oh, AlbaCrush, my heart just breaks for you! Unfortunately I'm with Miss Molly above--it takes years sometimes. Just let the tears flow, and flow ... it's the only thing you can do. We love them like children, don't we?

Like others, I've been through it many times. The first one was definitely the hardest--I was totally blindsided at how life-changing it was. My little Yorkie had been my best friend and constant companion for nearly 7 years--a pocket dog who did EVERYTHING with me. He died of a blood clot in his lung on the way home from a walk in the park (he had a rare blood disease). I'll never forget the keening sound he made as he sat straight up in my lap and struggled for his last breath. Wrenching. I lost 11 lbs the first week he was gone. I was so heartbroken that I actually moved across the country from CA back to VT, to be closer to my family, because I needed the support. (I also thought if I'm reacting this way to my dog dying, how on earth would I survive if a family member died and I was across the country?)

I still, 22 years after his death, have his favorite little stuffed toy on my shelf, his frisbee on my bulletin board (we did a charity walk for pets together, and that was the "swag" at the end), and of course, his ashes in my headboard.

I have moved on too, of course--I've been owned by 7 other dogs since then AND fostered 16 more.

Two things helped me after the death of one of my dogs. One was my vet telling me that the best way to honor your dog is to never be able to live without a dog in your life again, because your special one added so much to your life. I grabbed onto that with both hands and held tight (although it was about 2 years before I was able to take in another one without feeling like I was "betraying" my love for little Rocket). You just have to take it one day at a time and heal at your own speed--then think about giving another one the loving home they deserve.

The other thing that helped me was when someone said "your dog loved YOU as much as you loved her". Strangely, that had never occurred to me--but I found it SO comforting! To be loved THAT MUCH? I was moved.

I'm sure this loss is magnified even more by it being the holiday season. And it'll come up every year at this time ... My heart goes out to you.

I pestered everybody I knew for ages talking about it. I was so grateful to those willing to listen. So if you run out of people like that, feel free to PM me. I get it.

Many hugs to you. Your furkid was beautiful. Hopefully someday we'll see them again.

My little girl was also a Yorkie. Sweetest little dog ever. Her name was Molly from whence came my screen name. Not yappy. Not timid. She loved everyone and everyone loved her. She weighed less than 5 lbs, so definitely a pocket dog and was my little shadow. It's been over 3 years and I still can't bring myself to get another dog. This is the first time in my life I have not had a dog for more than 6 months. But I just don't think I can deal with that level of heartbreak again. It nearly killed me. I'm still not over losing her.

So sorry for your loss. The joy and good memories of the time you had with Trooper will help but the grief may be overbearing at times. The fabric of your life has been torn and it will take time to mend.

I feel your pain and although I never got to meet Trooper it brings tears to my eyes knowing he won't be licking your face again or wagging his tail when you get home....
Peace to you

I lost my beloved Susie Bell in 2009. We'd picked her up at a shelter. The truckers who dropped her off said she was about 5. Our vet said she was much older. I had her for another 12 years so there's no telling how old that little dog was when we finally said goodbye. But I knew she was mine from the moment I first saw her, pawing the air, trying to get my attention. That 8 pounds of love became my constant companion.

When we lost her, I didn't want to replace her right away. My DH offered to get me another poodle/papillion mix, but my heart was too raw. Fortunately, we'd also taken in Mack, a rat terrier puppy mill reject, so our dogly needs were being met. But Mack never stopped looking for Susie every time he went outside. He was delirious with puppy joy when, several years later, we brought home a little brother for him--a bedraggled stray we named Charlie. We love them both to pieces.

Pets are heartache waiting to happen, but the joy they bring is worth the pain of their parting. Loving anyone or anything includes the possibility of deep hurt. Love is too precious not to risk it. Wishing you happy memories and peace. You did the right thing for Trooper.

I took in a retired*& expired(7yrs old) .gov Dobie.
Best companion ever including my xspouse.
He poisioned himself via a tenants auto coolant leakage.
I'd rather have had that dog than a second wife or child.
Some people are emotional & timid.
We're all dying, "aging" is a disease,... act accordingly.

Late to the thread.... sorry for your loss. Losing a cherished pet definitely sucks. We lost our cat last summer. I had called the vet to go in and have him put down but the vet was out so I made an appointment for the next day. About 9pm that night he was really struggling so DW and I layed down next to him and pet him and talked to him and a little while later he was gone. He is missed and buried next to his buddy my daughter's cat who died a couple years ago.

I picked up his ashes and law print on Friday.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1575857257861.jpg
    FB_IMG_1575857257861.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 17
I picked up his ashes and law print on Friday.

Very nice keepsakes. I didn’t think to get a paw print from the Maine Coon cat that helped get me through but do have ashes and a few locks of hair. You’ll be glad you have them.

I have 8 dog urns and one day they will all be in mine.

Beautiful keepsakes. So sorry again for your loss.

I’m so sorry for your loss ? I too lost my heart dog this year she was 14 and had a cancerous tumor on her belly, I still miss her so much lost her in May we had a special bond somethings still set me off like pictures vans toys she shared with her boy that I still have. Soon it will become a little less tearful for you, but you will never forget him. It will turn to beautiful memories for you.

Sadie

This was my Sadie

Attachments

• 99CA4577-EB22-4378-8BBC-EF2D237F7C4A.jpg
    99CA4577-EB22-4378-8BBC-EF2D237F7C4A.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom