I need Christmas gift ideas for myself, what do you all want?

Sunny

Recycles dryer sheets
One thing I’ve never really liked about Christmas is how much consumerism goes along with it these days. But I always lose that battle, lol.

With that in mind, and realizing you all have no idea what I like, any thoughts? $1-$200 price range. Usually if I need anything in that range I’d just buy it. Grrrrr

Even stocking stuff suggestions are hard...I have a stainless steel comb I’ll never part with, seiko clippers, oneblade trimmer, etc.

So to help me know what I want, what do you all want between $1 and $200? :D

A new drawful on PREMIUM underwear in a variety of styles and materials!

This year I tried a couple things. One was a Harry’s shaving set. It was a promotion package with a blade, shaving cream and a nice handle. It was okay for shaving but what stood out was the shaving cream. I liked it enough to order more. Second were Strideline socks. Another promotion priced item. I like them. Haven’t had them long enough to say they’ll wear well, but after a few months and a few washings, I like them.

Mostly, I don’t need anything and don’t want much more than that either. I tell people to donate to my favorite cause if they insist on getting me something. If that’s why you’re asking, you might try that. If you just want to shop, trying out something premium, albeit on the cheap end, and upgrade your undergarments (socks or underwear). :)

I asked for a winter at the wineries passport, good for comp tastings at 17 wineries. Usually DH and I just get each other gifts like wine and chocolates. If the kids ask, I suggest Goldstar or Groupon gift cards.

Last edited:
I got DH his first Kindle, a new Paperwhite model that’s waterproof and extra storage.

Mr thinks I'll order a Snake River Farms wagyu rib eye cap for Christmas (or close) dinner.

I got DH his first Kindle, a new Paperwhite model that’s waterproof and extra storage.

If all you want to do is read books, the Paperwhite is the best. I love mine. It’s not a tablet, but it’s a great book reader. Didn’t know they had a waterproof version. Good for the pool/beach.

. I tell people to donate to my favorite cause if they insist on getting me something. If that’s why you’re asking, you might try that. If you just want to shop, trying out something premium, albeit on the cheap end, and upgrade your undergarments (socks or underwear). :)

Tried that before. They all want to get something physical. In years past if I haven’t provided ideas the stuff has been pretty bad, ending up in the landfill.

I’ve been successful some years getting nothing or little per my wishes, but then I feel like the grinch because they want to get me something.

Do you have an Instant Pot? I got one last summer and love it.

Got one of those last year! It is pretty cool, although apparently I am in charge of mashed potatoes in it for Thanksgiving. Here’s hoping I choose the right time (8 minutes?) for halved Yukon golds...

There is nothing that I either need or want that I do not have already.

I solved the gift giving for both children and for DW. I ask them to make a donation to the food bank. Easy for them, good for me. Nothing to return, no white elephants or things that sit on a shelf for the next five years. Hard for DW to do this as she as a shopper. We spend a fair amount throughout the year on travel so that is my present to myself.

Last edited:
I see in your public profile that you live in Iowa, and I know it can get cold up there.

How about some comfortable, warm, expensive boots? :D

My small 10 year old backup laptop finally bit the dust. I want to replace it with a tablet. Am spending Thanksgiving with a friend who knows all about electronics and has several tablets including an Amazon FIRE tablet. May buy one this week after I look at her tablets.

Could probably use an Instant Pot but am not to the point where I really want one.

I wanted a nice leather western style wallet like the one I bought for a friend years ago. Finally found them online but the current styles are not as cute as the one I bought her. So I decided to wait and look again in a year.

Last edited:
Rice pudding. And plenty of it.

So to help me know what I want, what do you all want between $1 and $200? :D

Perhaps tickets to the movies, a sporting event, or community theater?

Dinner at a favorite restaurant?

Annual pass to a park or museum?

There is nothing that I either need or want that I do not have already.

I solved the gift giving for both children and for DW. I ask them to make a donation to the food bank. Easy for them, good for me. Nothing to return, no white elephants or things that sit on a shelf for the next five years. Hard for DW to do this as she as a shopper. We spend a fair amount throughout the year on travel so that is my present to myself.

I really like this idea. I have a similar recurring problem to OP. In some years, we were able to manage it so that the great consumeristic gift exchange occurred at the event that we were not part of, but this does not work every year.

-gauss

Random thoughts -

Ancestry DNA
Subscription to Ancestry.com to track geneology
1 year of Amazon Prime (Got this for my wife for her birthday last year so now I get to count it as a gift every year)
Golf outing with child (my son and I do this)
Stocking Stuffers - Menards (if you have this). I get majority of family SS gifts there every year.

Smartwool socks

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Either a nice pair of socks or something else useful, that you would eventually have to buy for yourself anyway. Last year, my old slippers were completely worn out, so I asked for a pair just like them. Same thing with winter gloves one year. I know that some people think surprises are more fun, but as you say, surprises often end up in the trash eventually.

New socks are one of the greatest (and affordable) simple pleasures I can think of. If I won the lottery I'd wear a new pair every day and donate the once worn socks to Goodwill.

This year I'm getting myself a new Carhartt bib overall, the Yukon model. $129. I'm tired of freezing in my off brand overalls when I go ice fishing.

I live 18 miles from Canada, we think a trip to Iowa is going south for the winter:)

When I read the OP, the first thing that came to mind was "some seriously nice quality socks."

Lo and behold, I read the thread and see that others are of the same mind.

New socks?
Yall are living in the wrong part of the country. Seldom wear socks, or shoes for that matter. But I won't discuss the underwear issue....

If all you want to do is read books, the Paperwhite is the best. I love mine. It’s not a tablet, but it’s a great book reader. Didn’t know they had a waterproof version. Good for the pool/beach.

Yes, so aweesome that the newest paperwhite is waterproof! I might give him a beach vacay to go with it. :LOL: I have a really old kindle that works like a champ still but the screen has always been a pale gray. DH reads a lot of fiction in regular boooks, and I think he will absolutely love this. He has an iPad so doesn’t need the Fire tablet, but imo the iPad screen is a bit too big for easy holding; I do think the e-ink readers are easier on the eyes for some of us than the illuminated readers.

And +1 to Ronstar’s smartwool sock suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom