I need Christmas gift ideas for myself, what do you all want?

My immediate family all use the Amazon gift list functionality. We all have access to each other's lists, which are pretty extensive. This works great with our grandkids since young parents can be a bit persnickety about certain items. Most of us maintain it throughout the year as it's good for birthdays, father's day, etc. Mine is full of books, woodworking tools and gadgets, cooking stuff, some clothes, and techie stuff, like this year I added a bunch of home automation gear. I typically try to keep items under $100 and many items are around $20. I add stuff throughout the year as I surf around Amazon, usually stuff that I want/need but not so urgent that I'd buy it myself right then and there.

For the givers who live close by, ask them to plan an outing in the next few months so you can spend some time together outside the hectic holidays. Depending on their budgets and mutual interests, it could be anything from an afternoon of window shopping, to a spa day, to dinner and a show. If you're having trouble thinking of something to get them, offer to plan a day together so that you're giving each other the gift of time.

For those who are farther away, ask for luxurious consumable items that you'll definitely use up by next Christmas. A small box of pears from Harry & David, fancy chocolates, Wolfermans (their stuff freezes well), etc.

This year I'm getting myself a new Carhartt bib overall, the Yukon model. $129. I'm tired of freezing in my off brand overalls when I go ice fishing.

I live 18 miles from Canada, we think a trip to Iowa is going south for the winter:)

Not to highjack the thread (too much), but how has the ice fishing been up there the last few years? I assume you are fishing for walleye and perch? Got your buck yet this year? I got an 8-pt. buck in early October (bow hunting), so I'm going to pass on the gun deer season me this year. We are in the UP of Michigan.

I just purchased my first Smart Phone, an Apple 6+. Now the only reason that I purchased a NEW PHONE for myself is that I am gifting my OLD FLIPPHONE to my parents as a Xmas gift.

I bought them a line on my monthly service and it would give me piece of mind if they had a cell phone with them when they travelled. For the parents, an OLD flip phone is smart for them to carry.

I

For the givers who live close by, ask them to plan an outing in the next few months so you can spend some time together outside the hectic holidays. Depending on their budgets and mutual interests, it could be anything from an afternoon of window shopping, to a spa day, to dinner and a show. If you're having trouble thinking of something to get them, offer to plan a day together so that you're giving each other the gift of time.

For those who are farther away, ask for luxurious consumable items that you'll definitely use up by next Christmas. A small box of pears from Harry & David, fancy chocolates, Wolfermans (their stuff freezes well), etc.

Love the idea of gift giver planning an outing together!! This is what I will ask my children for this year. :)

Amazon lists are super helpful and what we use as all of my children, are different sizes, shapes and interests (-5 ft. XS red-headed, tattooed artist to 6+ ft. XL blonde Barbie movie buff and that's just the girls!).

What my kids ALWAYS want for Christmas are holiday or themed SOCKS and flannel PJ pants. It started as necessity and now is tradition. They put on their socks and PJ s on Christmas Eve and wear them all day on Christmas day. The new fiance' is getting them too. :LOL:

Since retiring I have been able to spend more time making things so I have been getting myself more power tools. My gift list to the family includes various accessories for the tools. Low cost to them, useful for me :).

I also like gift certificates for "experiences" (movies, museums, sports activities, entertainment venues, etc.) rather than to "get things". One of my nieces in the same, she and her husband are doing well and have 4 kids under the age of 8, they told us *if* we wanted to give them gifts, give them things to experience rather than more toys/books/household items.

For her 70th birthday, my cousin was gifted a calendar with each month "assigned" to a relative or friend to do something with or for my cousin...such as breakfast out together, going to a live theater performance together, going to a movie together, going to a concert together, going to a museum together, delivery of a home-made strawberry cake (in June), etc. The photo for that month on the calendar featured that specific relative or friend. My cousin truly enjoyed these 'gifts' year-round.

I thought this was a great idea and could easily be adapted for Christmas gift-giving.

-------------

If you are looking for a specific item, I'd suggest WrightSocks. They are double-layer, moisture wicking and are anti-blister. I wear them year-round for my "health walks" in Michigan and Florida. They come in short and tall versions and several colors.

omni

I also like gift certificates for "experiences" (movies, museums, sports activities, entertainment venues, etc.) rather than to "get things". One of my nieces in the same, she and her husband are doing well and have 4 kids under the age of 8, they told us *if* we wanted to give them gifts, give them things to experience rather than more toys/books/household items.

One of our kids gave me a Groupon gift certificate for a past Christmas, which we used to buy experiences like dinners out and concert tickets. He doesn't live close enough to plan outings together, but he asked me to let him know all the places we went to on his gift card.

I bought some sweatshirts and pants online this morning. Then I sent a copy of the invoice to my family. They can pick from that invoice what they want to “give me” and pay me back. [emoji1] We’re strange.[emoji1]

I did that too except for the invoice...good sweats are pricey and I found some bargains

I thought of lots of ideas this year, including a new nonstick skillet, an avocado slicer, bath mats, sheets, dog themed earrings, dog feeding mat, a specific spice I like, gourmet vinegars, and Origins Smoothing Soufflé whipped body cream. The Origins is a great gift because at $37, I won’t buy it for myself, but I love using it. The gifts I’d like run from $4 to $130.

My best friend usually puts Clinique cosmetics on her list. If you have a Nespresso or Keurig coffee machine, pods are a great gift.

Another idea for you is Soma lounging clothes. My friend gave me some and they are sooooo comfortable!

I just bought some long underwear from Lands End - thin but comfortable for North Georgia. May not be heavy enough for Iowa though.

If you like to drink ice water get a vacuum insulated bottle similar to this. Ice doesn’t melt and bottle doesn’t condensate so no coaster needed. IMG_0862.jpg

Just today ordered tee shirts and hats from NFLShop.com for each member of the family. Go Pats!

I just ordered myself a piano for Xmas!!!

It's a portable Yamaha digital piano, full keyboard. Costco has a nice deal this week that includes stand and bench.

It's a portable Yamaha digital piano, full keyboard. Costco has a nice deal this week that includes stand and bench.

I hope that you have better luck that we did with ours... DW bought one "for the kids" one Christmas with the best intentions despite the fact that no one in our household plays the piano... I think it was used for a few minutes on Christmas Day and was in storage for years until we finally sent it to Goodwill.

I hope that you have better luck that we did with ours... DW bought one "for the kids" one Christmas with the best intentions despite the fact that no one in our household plays the piano... I think it was used for a few minutes on Christmas Day and was in storage for years until we finally sent it to Goodwill.
Well, I actually do play the piano. Learned as a kid and played for years growing up. Still remember some of the pieces although my fingers are weak now, of course.

I have been really wanting a keyboard that "feels right" but not willing or have room for a large piece of furniture. This one is definitely good enough to get those fingers back into shape. See if I can at least recover the Bach two-part inventions and Beethoven's moonlight sonata.

Kind of forgot how to read base clef, but I bet it will come back quickly.

Last edited:

I think I gave that to DD two years ago, and now our seven-year-old DGD practices on it every day. And DSIL (an accomplished musician) loves it because he can accompany when the kids sing. Its sound is so good and it fits into small spaces and can be easily moved around. Plus the price is right.

Well, I actually do play the piano. Learned as a kid and played for years growing up. Still remember some of the pieces although my fingers are weak now, of course. ...

Well, you already have a huge head start on our sorry experience.

Can someone recommend a specific brand of seriously nice high quality socks? Sounds like a good idea here for stocking stuffers for all the men in the fam.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom