I thought about work today...

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
I thought of work today. A news story earlier in the week let me know that whoever is doing my job is up to his eyeballs in alligators right now. I remember those flurries. Huge pressure from above in the food chain affecting everyone there, stress like you wouldn't believe, demands for impossible feats in a matter of hours, phone constantly ringing, situation meetings, upper management in genuine panic. :eek: :rant::dead:

I am SO glad that this time, I'm not right in the middle of a mess like this.

The day before this news event occurred, I received an award in the mail that apparently hadn't come through until five months after I retired. I thought of calling my former supervisor to thank her. But I guess not - - they were all running around like chickens with their heads cut off today. :uglystupid:

Life is good. :D:D:D Today after sleeping late I had lunch with Frank at a nice restaurant right around the corner from my house. I had the corn and shrimp chowder and a small Italian salad. It was pouring rain and flooding in some areas, so I spent the afternoon at home and read on my Kindle for a while. Sure beats w*rk.

I thought of work today. A news story earlier in the week let me know that whoever is doing my job is up to his eyeballs in alligators right now. I remember those flurries. Huge pressure from above in the food chain affecting everyone there, stress like you wouldn't believe, demands for impossible feats in a matter of hours, phone constantly ringing, situation meetings, upper management in genuine panic.
You'll get over that soon enough. It took me about a year. The first few months I would grab the paper and see the story and start thinking what needed to be done. I stopped the paper delivery and it went away.

It does feel strange.

But still, it's better on the outside looking in than it was on the inside looking out.

Life is good. :D:D:D Today after sleeping late I had lunch with Frank at a nice restaurant right around the corner from my house. I had the corn and shrimp chowder and a small Italian salad. It was pouring rain and flooding in some areas, so I spent the afternoon at home and read on my Kindle for a while. Sure beats w*rk.

I like the way you live W2R.

Ha

You'll get over that soon enough. It took me about a year. The first few months I would grab the paper and see the story and start thinking what needed to be done. I stopped the paper delivery and it went away.
I don't worry, but I really wonder about this. I think about work off and on when I'm away throughout the day 24/7. When I retire (and I think I'm really, really close), I suspect I will still worry about work unnecessarily for a while. I am hoping it doesn't take a year to train my mind to let go of the "good old days..."

I thought of work today. A news story earlier in the week let me know that whoever is doing my job is up to his eyeballs in alligators right now. I remember those flurries. Huge pressure from above in the food chain affecting everyone there, stress like you wouldn't believe, demands for impossible feats in a matter of hours, phone constantly ringing, situation meetings, upper management in genuine panic. :eek: :rant::dead:

I am SO glad that this time, I'm not right in the middle of a mess like this.

The day before this news event occurred, I received an award in the mail that apparently hadn't come through until five months after I retired. I thought of calling my former supervisor to thank her. But I guess not - - they were all running around like chickens with their heads cut off today. :uglystupid:

It's stories like these that give me the "warm fuzzies" in the pit of my stomach....and confirms for me that we have made the right decision!

In a similar story....this was the first tax season in 21 YEARS that I was NOT chained to a desk...no 100 hour weeks....no tossing and turning at night....no dreaming about work load....no pad and pen at the bedside to right down what I remembered in the middle of the night... :nonono:

I have enjoyed watching Spring actually morph into Spring...something I had only noticed in its entirety before :flowers:

To be fair, I have missed a few things about not wo*kng....

1st and foremost would be the people....the young lady that I worked with for 12+ years....and specially the clients that I have known for 20+ years....one of them made the obits this morning and it is SAD to know that I won't even have the opportunity to run in to him somewhere ever again :(

#2 would have to be the $$$.....I would be lying if I said that I didn't miss it!
BUT then again....not as much as #1 :cool:

....#3....uhhh....well there IS no #3.....

Thanks for the story AND for reminding ME that I had a similar situation....THAT IS NOW GONE!! :ROFLMAO:

I am hoping it doesn't take a year to train my mind to let go of the "good old days..."
Everyone is different of course, but it didn't take me long to let go. Hopefully you'll be enjoying your new life so much you won't have time to waste in dwelling on the past - other than an occasional "thank God it's them and not me" refrain as W2R says.

I so don't miss all the management by crisis and depending on miracles to pull our collective butts out of the self made fires. Nope don't miss those idiots at all.

I did have a weird dream about work this week. I was working with a guy I knew & it ended with both of us admitting we had retired and been pulled back to solve the problem. I woke up feeling disoriented, then wondering where that came from.

I think about my previous working life almost every day. It's been 3 1/2 years. Not really bad thoughts but I also am glad i'm not in the thick of it.

Yes - the corn and shrimp chowder sounds delicious!

It was utterly fabulous.

I think about my previous working life almost every day. It's been 3 1/2 years. Not really bad thoughts but I also am glad i'm not in the thick of it.

During my 5 months so far as a retiree, I haven't e-mailed anyone from work or visited, and my former workplace is only one mile from my home. I don't think about work much, normally. Well, except to be so happy that I am not stuck at work, especially on beautiful days when we are out having fun, instead. I don't normally worry about my former work responsibilities, though. I left them in good hands.

I so don't miss all the management by crisis and depending on miracles to pull our collective butts out of the self made fires. Nope don't miss those idiots at all.

Exactly! I don't miss that part either.

Tesaje said:
I did have a weird dream about work this week. I was working with a guy I knew & it ended with both of us admitting we had retired and been pulled back to solve the problem. I woke up feeling disoriented, then wondering where that came from.

I dreamt about work last night too, and I almost never do. In my dream I went back to offer to help, and in my dream they were doing such a bad job with this crisis that I just quietly tiptoed out rather than try to fix things... :LOL: In real life, I left such things in very good hands so they should be OK.

I don't worry, but I really wonder about this. I think about work off and on when I'm away throughout the day 24/7. When I retire (and I think I'm really, really close), I suspect I will still worry about work unnecessarily for a while. I am hoping it doesn't take a year to train my mind to let go of the "good old days..."

Right now, you have responsibilities at work so I am not surprised that you think about it while you are away. After you retire, you don't. I think this is the first time I have thought about my actual former work responsibilities specifically, and the first time I known they were having a situation and silently cheered them on from the sidelines. Since retirement I do often think about how glad I am to be free, and not working.

They used to put my problems (and mistakes) in the news just about every day. And the people I worked for had press clippings delivered to them the first thing each morning, so I had the habit of reading everything and preparing a response before I started getting phone calls from bosses demanding answers.

After I retired, I would read something and my mind would just start thinking of what should be done. It didn't take long to stop worrying about it, and my response would be less "what should we do", to "some poor bastard is going to have a bad morning". It took longer to stop the habit of reading the paper and looking for those kind of stories.

They used to put my problems (and mistakes) in the news just about every day. And the people I worked for had press clippings delivered to them the first thing each morning, so I had the habit of reading everything and preparing a response before I started getting phone calls from bosses demanding answers.

After I retired, I would read something and my mind would just start thinking of what should be done. It didn't take long to stop worrying about it, and my response would be less "what should we do", to "some poor bastard is going to have a bad morning". It took longer to stop the habit of reading the paper and looking for those kind of stories.

I know exactly what you mean, though my work problems only hit the news every few years instead of all the time like yours. That must have been awful! Had I been at work, I would have started mentally running through what needed to be done and what would be expected of me, like you, and I probably wouldn't have slept much this week. Then I would have got to work early and started getting one of our smaller oil spill models up and running for this situation since the output info would probably be essential as soon as management and the others arrived. I am torn between two emotions - - I am happy to have "escaped" this flail, and at the same time I am thinking "oh my gosh, you guys had better do this right and don't you screw up!" :LOL:

W2R - you got me going here!

I think I'll try this one: Poblano Corn Chowder with Shrimp Recipe at Epicurious.com. I absolutely adore the flavor of poblano chiles.

But I already see lots of necessary mods. Use fresh corn (and no creamed - what?)! And poblanos should be fire-roasted (grill or oven OK) and peeled first. The roasting really brings out the flavor. Probably add a little potato and not so much butter/flour fr thickening. Probably can get away with half the heavy cream - but adjust to taste.

But that's all I need - just a base recipe that I tweak to high heaven. I always read the comments and they help direct my mods. Also, I like to use leeks instead of onions in my chowders - just gives it that extra je ne sais quoi!

Audrey

For me, it is not so much that I think about work or am reminded of it. Instead, I am reminded of the awful commute I have left behind. The commute was the #1 (and #2 and #3) reason I left my company in 2008.

I see reminders of my commute every day. Whenever I see a LIRR commuter train go by, I point to it and LAUGH! Whenever I see or hear a transit report which included delays on my branch, I think to myself, "I am sooooo glad I don't have to deal with that nonsense any more!" Whenever I see a news story about an upcoming fare hike, I think to myself, "I am sooooo glad I don't have to pay $20 a day just to get to my office." And of course I am free of all those annoying cellphone blabbermouths who annoyed me every day (only 2-3 days a week, as I worked P/T the last 7 years)on the trains.

A friend/coworker of mine called me a few days ago to wish me a happy birthday. As usual, he asked me when I was going to return to work. I said, "NEVER!" It was likely a softball question, but I know he misses me not just as a coworker (we did a lot of good stuff together) but as a friend.

He also told me that the ER story I posted in another forum was spotted by someone who recognized it as me and forwarded it around to many others. Not that I minded it, of course, as I did not trash my former company. Also weird was that I had no idea who the person was who noticed my guest post and forwarded it around to everyone. I did not recognize the name. Apparently, I have a legacy there.

But that's all I need - just a base recipe that I tweak to high heaven. I always read the comments and they help direct my mods. Also, I like to use leeks instead of onions in my chowders - just gives it that extra je ne sais quoi!

Sounds great! Let us know how that comes out. :)

I think the shrimp and corn chowder at the restaurant was (like most food here) tweaked a little too, to conform with our local cuisine and chefs. There are so many things one could do.

It's funny. The thing that bugged me most about work was the daily commute! And it was only 20 mins each way, whereas I know a lot of people have much longer commutes. But there was something about it that was so symbolic about being a wage slave.

And for a couple of years I laughed we glee whenever I saw the early morning commuters leaving my suburb. I was just so thankful not to be doing it too!

Audrey

The other night I met a few work buddies for a med or two. Well...... maybe 3 or four. It was the 50th b'day of their boss and a former work partner of mine. I loved hearing of some of the horror stories going on right now. They are in the process of making a computer conversion and have had to push back the conversion date three times due to various problems. My old boss wanted to switch systems when I was there, but I was able to put him off due to the cost and we just didn't need a new system. But soon after I retired, he got his wish and pushed it through. He could barely look up stuff on the internet, but had the hots to change systems.:crazy: Well now they have something that does not fit the business very well but are having to make it work.

Lord, I sure am glad I'm retired and not going through that. But I am glad they are changing systems now. I have always feared that the guy who replaced me might not work out or change jobs, then they would call requesting that I fill in for awhile. If this ever happens, I can easily tell them no as I know nothing about the new system and would be useless. I would have told them no anyway but it will make it easier.:)

All I have to plan for now is my golf trip next week to the AL coast. So life is truly good.

For me, it is not so much that I think about work or am reminded of it. Instead, I am reminded of the awful commute I have left behind. The commute was the #1 (and #2 and #3) reason I left my company in 2008.

I see reminders of my commute every day. Whenever I see a LIRR commuter train go by, I point to it and LAUGH! Whenever I see or hear a transit report which included delays on my branch, I think to myself, "I am sooooo glad I don't have to deal with that nonsense any more!" Whenever I see a news story about an upcoming fare hike, I think to myself, "I am sooooo glad I don't have to pay $20 a day just to get to my office."

Since I only live 1-2 miles from my former office, I have the luxury of making a rude gesture in their direction whenever I drive by. I know, childish, but fun anyway.

When it is foggy and I can't even see the street from my front door, I laugh happily because so many are commuting through the fog and I'm not.

Sounds great! Let us know how that comes out. :)

I think the shrimp and corn chowder at the restaurant was (like most food here) tweaked a little too, to conform with our local cuisine and chefs. There are so many things one could do.
So it's a chain place rather than a New Orleans local place? If so - which was it as I can probably find a recreation of their recipe on line?

Audrey

My old boss wanted to switch systems when I was there, but I was able to put him off due to the cost and we just didn't need a new system. But soon after I retired, he got his wish and pushed it through. He could barely look up stuff on the internet, but had the hots to change systems.:crazy: Well now they have something that does not fit the business very well but are having to make it work.

Lord, I sure am glad I'm retired and not going through that. But I am glad they are changing systems now. I have always feared that the guy who replaced me might not work out or change jobs, then they would call requesting that I fill in for awhile. If this ever happens, I can easily tell them no as I know nothing about the new system and would be useless. I would have told them no anyway but it will make it easier.:)

Excellent! It is always convenient to be able to say that not only are you not willing, but you honestly aren't able to help them out.

Dawg52 said:
All I have to plan for now is my golf trip next week to the AL coast. So life is truly good.

Have fun! Yes, life is truly good. :D:D:D

So it's a chain place rather than a New Orleans local place? If so - which was it as I can probably find a recreation of their recipe on line?

Oh, no no no... this is just a local neighborhood restaurant serving our local cuisine and you'd have to kill them before they'd let loose of their recipe, which is their livelihood (even though the entire meal cost me less than $7). But there are so many ways in which a great shrimp and corn chowder can go, and while you will not be able to duplicate it I think you will come up with something fabulous. :D

Back
Top Bottom