Increasing (?) costs for communications

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Read a little further back. Go into Target or Walmart or to the t-mobile web site and buy a t-mobile to go phone that suits you. <>
Then go to www.cheapphonecards and buy a $100 1000 minute tmobile card. Use a coupon from here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?start=200&catid=18&threadid=546489
Like "thanks5" for 5% more off. You should be in the range of $90 now. After successfully charging your card, they'll email you a card code good for 1000 minutes.

Bunny, can you go to T-Mobile website to keep track of your usage?

Gumby said:
I have tried without success to convince the young wife to give up the landline.

If you have a young wife, say “Thank you sweet Jesus” and give her whatever she wants.

Ha

Cut-Throat said:
I suggest that Satellite Radio is not for you.
I don't even know if there's satellite coverage out here. OnStar used to lack coverage out here too but maybe that's been fixed by now.

Cut-Throat said:
I would guess that my Tube amplifiers would be a hassle for you also! It's called different strokes.
Admittedly it might be pearls before swine. How does Ted Nugent sound through them?

Land line about $31/mo. No long distance. Use a phone card for long distance. About $20 worth that lasts a while.

Dial-up service of $10/mo.

Well. . . my payments may be lower than most of you, but apparently you get what you pay for in terms of reliability. My DSL internet connection has been out all day. I finally used my laptop to get a dial-up connection and learned that it will be down for the next 24 to 48 hours. Qwest s#cks. :p

sgeeeee said:
Actually, only in you, CFB. Many of us understand how inflation affects us. We have taken appropriate actions so aren't worried about it. ;)

Eh, I think some of you have taken what you THINK is appropriate actions and arent worried about it.

Which is alright with me. I just dont get the pushback on advising people to look at their spending patterns, costs of living, changes to those and make sure the appropriate action is being taken. Actually I do get it, all y'all just like ****ing with me and unfortunately, you might be blunting off some good advice to people who are still trying to figure out how to manage their finances before and during retirement.

HaHa said:
Bunny, can you go to T-Mobile website to keep track of your usage?

You didnt use to be able to, but I think they added it in a few months ago. You can always dial 611 and have your balance and expiration date read to you.

Cable Internet $45 (Road Runner)
VOIP Phone $8.30 (Sun Rocket)
Cell phones $87 (Sprint 1500 anytime minutes for 5 phones)

Those looking for prepaid phones might want to take a look at Net10, same network at tracphone but minutes are cheaper if you are a heavy user.

Martha,
I spend the following on communications:

28 Cell phone
20 Land line - needed for DSL
40 DSL

88 Total

I try to justify it by thinking about what I don't spend by haveing DSL
Stamps - internet bill pay
Audio books - IPOD
Other savings - internet research
Entertainment - this board

I'm sure that the cost of communications will come down in the future.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Eh, I think some of you have taken what you THINK is appropriate actions and arent worried about it. . .

This is starting to remind me of a hosuc thread. :) I haven't read any inappropriate actions regarding inlfation by any posters. Several posters have looked at their spending and realized the current inflation factor is of secondary importance at best. There may be a point in the future when that changes, but until it does it seems silly to wave our hands in the air screaming, "DANGER, DANGER, INFLATION WILL GET YOU SOMEDAY." If inflation is a significant factor for you, several posters have discussed real actions you can take. It all seems like pretty good advice to me.

I will admit that I don't completely understand what you propose instead of the advice offered. I am skeptical that very many people are able to compute an accurate personal inflation rate. I have attempted to do this in the past by doing the following: 1) I categorized my annual spending in identical categories to those used by USBLS. 2) I looked at the USBLS inflation calculations by category. 3) I computed an inflation rate that included my own weighted spending. This produced a number that was within 0.2% of the CPI-U data. Of course, if you don't believe the USBLS is honest in their calculations, this is simply modifying a number you don't believe anyway.

Sorry about the partial thread hijack, Martha, but you brought on yourself with that cryptic comment about inflation not existing. Where did that come from? I may have missed it, but I haven't read any post claiming inflation didn't exist. :confused:

sgeeeee said:
Sorry about the partial thread hijack, Martha, but you brought on yourself with that cryptic comment about inflation not existing. Where did that come from? I may have missed it, but I haven't read any post claiming inflation didn't exist. :confused:

It was a joke. I did use the ;)

sgeeeee said:
Oh . . . why was it supposed to be funny? :confused: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

innocent0009.gif

Verizon landline $22.55
Verizon DSL $23.35 (locked in for 1 year)
Comcast cable $54.02
nTelos cell phone family plan 3 phones $59.99 for 1200 shared minutes plus $6.99 unlimited text messaging on DD's phone plus other taxes and fees usually equal about $84.10 per month (just switched to unlimited text messaging since she had 250 messages for $4.99 and went over by 204 for the month, so she owes $20.40. Thank goodness we have unlimited mobile to mobile and unlimited weekends and nights starting at 7:00, since we used 6,311 minutes this month. DD's boyfriend is stationed in CA and we are in WV. Luckily, we have the same provider, so they can call each other for free!

Hey SG, what I suggested is simple: that people do exactly what you say you did.

Problem is, as stated, people dont actually read a thread or try to figure out what someone is trying to say before they rush to tell them why they're wrong.

Whether I believe the BLS stats isnt relevant. For the record, I believe they're quite accurate for what they measure and I believe them completely when they state, as i've quoted, that the figures are not intended to be general purpose cost of living numbers that everyone can count on applying to their specific budgets.

To restate it for about the fourth time...I think everyone should do a budget and understand how cost of living changes are effecting them and invest accordingly.

Re-read the last statement and tell me what you disagree with and why.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Hey SG, what I suggested is simple: that people do exactly what you say you did.

Problem is, as stated, people dont actually read a thread or try to figure out what someone is trying to say before they rush to tell them why they're wrong.

Whether I believe the BLS stats isnt relevant. For the record, I believe they're quite accurate for what they measure and I believe them completely when they state, as i've quoted, that the figures are not intended to be general purpose cost of living numbers that everyone can count on applying to their specific budgets.

To restate it for about the fourth time...I think everyone should do a budget and understand how cost of living changes are effecting them and invest accordingly.

Re-read the last statement and tell me what you disagree with and why.
Hey, CFB. I don't disagree with you and I know you understand what you're doing. I just do my best to keep an edge on this forum. I assume that's what you're doing much of the time too. Who wants to visit a site where everyone just sits around in a mutual admiration circle jerk? That's one reason why I always try to support the outcasts (hocum excluded . . . even I have limits) and complain about the overmodulation. :) :D :D

Land line = $23 to 24... no long distance
Cell = $50... 500 minutes anywhere... no roaming
Cable = $114... Expanded digital plus internet... but I called today and asked what I could cut to lower the bill... they put me on a promo package for 6 months at $90... told me to call back in 6 months and ask for the promo again!

Gonzo

sgeeeee said:
That's one reason why I always try to support the outcasts (hocum excluded . . . even I have limits) and complain about the overmodulation. :) :D :D
Yeah, thanks a lot for your support... and to the server fund, too!

cellphone- $39. amonth- 300 minutes
landline- $33. a month
Internet and Cable- $114. a month

One land line and local calls - about $35/mo.

Dial up ISP - $17.95/mo.

Long distance - .05/min.

Cell phone - prepaid time for traveling only

No cable TV

JG

land line and local calls 34 with tax
dial up internet 9.95
Tracfone prepaid cell 20 monthly ave, already paid (will be less this year)
long distance 16 cents (20 card for 800 minutes, had for five years, half used)

No cable.

land line: $35/month - no long distance includes all the taxes, surcharges, etc which double the bill
DSL: $30 - tied to the land line
prepaid card for long distance - minimal/month: less than $10?
cable: $56 - no real options and I resent it
cell: prepaid T-Mobile about $10/month. As has been said, no coverage in rural areas like when we are camping, but DH and I trade who has it depending on the schedule of the day, just to get those grocery lists or make sure no one forgets to get the kids.

I have had Sprint PCS cell service for a few years. I also still have the landline.
Let's see:

$87.70 - Sprint cell service for DW and me (including tax & fees)
$42.60 - Touchtone landline (Windstream)

$104.68 - Cable TV and Roadrunner ISP bundled together.

so, that's $234.71 for voice, ISP and cable tv. Outrageous, isn't it?

I am very displeased with Sprint service. They keep tacking six months on the end of my contract. The last time they sent me an email thanking me for accepting an offer for a discount on a month's service. I noticed also that my contract expiration date had been extended again. When I called, wrote, and called again to complain about this practice, I was told that I (or DW) had visited a store and accepted an offer and when you "make a change" to your plan, they can extend the contract to 2 years from that date. Neither of us visited a store or accepted any offer from Sprint PCS. Anyway, they slammed me and then called me a liar.

Besides that, I do get a lot of dropped calls, too. Folks tell me that all cell phone companies are like that. If that is true, I may go back to tin cans and twine!

for this kind of treatment you pay them more than $1,000 per year ?!!

d said:
for this kind of treatment you pay them more than $1,000 per year ?!!

Unfortunately, yes. It is 'almost' worth the $200 it will cost me to get out of the contract, too.

Back
Top Bottom