Is Medicare annual enrollment only for drug plan or also supplemental plan?

Luvdogs

Recycles dryer sheets
My husband will be 70 in April 2023. He currently has his supplemental Plan F through United Healthcare.

He just spoke to someone at Alight (formerly Aon) through his prior megacorp during open enrollment and was told that they do not have the prices yet for January and may not until next year. They said it will probably go up again in April when he turns 70.

But he was also told that open enrollment is "only" for the drug plan and not for the supplemental plan; that he can change his supplemental plan at any time during the year.

So if United Healthcare Plan F went up significantly, he could potentially change to another company's Plan F at any time during the year.

Can someone confirm if that is accurate? I thought that "all" changes could only be made during open enrollment.

Thanks!

My husband will be 70 in April 2023. He currently has his supplemental Plan F through United Healthcare.

He just spoke to someone at Alight (formerly Aon) through his prior megacorp during open enrollment and was told that they do not have the prices yet for January and may not until next year. They said it will probably go up again in April when he turns 70.

But he was also told that open enrollment is "only" for the drug plan and not for the supplemental plan; that he can change his supplemental plan at any time during the year.

So if United Healthcare Plan F went up significantly, he could potentially change to another company's Plan F at any time during the year.

Can someone confirm if that is accurate? I thought that "all" changes could only be made during open enrollment.

Thanks!

Yes, a Medicare supplement plan can be changed anytime during the year. Part D prescription plans can be changed during open enrollment. If he wants to change plans, he may have to go through medical underwriting by answering some questions.
This open enrollment period is probably not the best time to change plans since agents are pretty busy with dealing with prescription plans and Medicare Advantage plans, so you may want to wait until open enrollment is over and call in the second week of December or later.

The current open enrollment period is specifically for Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) and/or Medicare Part D (prescription drug plans).

You cannot generally switch Medicare Supplement plans freely without possible requirements. You may need to undergo medical underwriting to change and you may not find companies willing to accept you as a customer. But you are free to look around and try. I believe you can do that at any time.

I also believe some States have different rules related to switching.

Back
Top Bottom