Keeping Coyotes at Bay

Adopt kittens and never let them out. When that is all they know they do fine.

I like coyotes, not too fond of loose running cats. Worst thing the coyotes do is dig in my compost pile and poop on the trails.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It looks like the deterrent will be a whistle and an air horn. There might not be enough time to shoot off any kind of spray and then again the aim must be fairly accurate. Coins in a can wouldn't work because first chance she got, she'd spend the coins on cigarettes and beer. The hazing sounds like a great idea as she already knows how to yell and scream and wave her arms.

Last edited:
It looks like the deterrent will be a whistle and an air horn. There might not be enough time to shoot off any kind of spray and then again the aim must be fairly accurate. Coins in a can wouldn't work because first chance she got, she'd spend the coins on cigarettes and beer. The hazing sounds like a great idea as she already knows how to yell and scream and wave her arms.

Aside from the hearing loss and the dogs losing their minds, an air horn sounds like an ideal choice if they get too close. For sure that would stop a coyote in its tracks.

It looks like the deterrent will be a whistle and an air horn. There might not be enough time to shoot off any kind of spray and then again the aim must be fairly accurate.
Park rangers tell me that bear spray is used to put up a vapor cloud between you and the bear, so aim at the ground about 30 ft or so from you. Accuracy is not so important.

When we had our coyote pups under the deck, the mother would come at night and our detector light would turn on so we knew.

When she would see us at the window, she would easy as pie turn and hop over the 4 ft fence without even a run, just turn and spring over. Very amazing to see.

I know from personal experience three coyotes circling a calf in our local open space can be chased off by two adults pushing two screaming toddlers in jogging strollers. We came across the calf being hunted on a hike one day years ago when our kids young. We told our kids to make a lot of noise and the coyotes ran off.

Last edited:
I know from personal experience three coyotes circling a calf in our local open space can be chased off by two adults pushing two screaming toddlers in jogging strollers. We came across the calf being hunted on a hike one day years ago when our kids young. We told our kids to make a lot of noise and the coyotes ran off.

The exchange rate is two kids for a calf in your area? Seems a little high. Sounds like the coyote thought so as well.

Shoot them on site.

Coyotes are unbelievably smart. Do not judge a book by its cover. One 40lb coyote isnt a huge issue...multiple 40lb coyotes are!

If you ever hear them howl at night...its a role call. They're "checking" in with the group to make sure everyone is accounted for. Kind of impressive but its just a noise...the impressive part comes into play when part of the pack is killed and they dont respond to the role call. When that happens it triggers something in the females so that when they become pregnant...they will deliver more pups. Really fascinating.

I listen to hunting podcasts from time to time and have heard plenty of stories on coyotes and how intelligent they are. The one that stuck out the most was there was a family with a lab...anyway a coyote kept coming around and playing with the dog. This went on for a while. Eventually the coyote kept luring the dog farther and farther away from the house/yard. Lucky for the lab the owners were out one day this was happening. The owners walked out to where the coyote was going...down the hill near a wooded area. The owners saw 3 more coyotes where the lab was trying to be lured. They were going to merk the lab if it came close enough.

Stop anthropomorphizing wild animals. Nature is cruel...only the strong survive. If that coyote can figure out a way to eat you, your pets, you children, etc...its going to. It spends 24 hours a day 7 days a week figuring out how to stay alive. If you have a coyote that keeps coming around...shoot and kill it. Its friends will relocate and you wont have to worry about your pets becoming lunch.

Shoot them on site.

A pretty common viewpoint. I guess I have a hard time with it. They were here first where I live (the southwest) and they are an integral part of the ecosystem. We are already overrun with rabbits, I cannot imagine what it would be like without the coyotes at least making a dent in their numbers.

In any case, it is impractical or illegal to do so in the burbs/town limits. Gotta find another way. When I am out in the woods and see them they generally will not come within 100 yards of me, not that I would bother them unless they got too close for comfort.

The coyotes in our area seem to be pretty skittish. We've had scarier encounters with aggressive, off leash dogs.

The coyotes in our area seem to be pretty skittish. We've had scarier encounters with aggressive, off leash dogs.
++++1
99.9% of my problems while on foot have been related to aggressive dogs. I rarely see coyotes, even a dusk, and they are certainly not aggressive.

Don't let your small dogs out alone or don't walk them at dusk or in the dark. Really a simple solution. We have lots of them on the West Coast. No need to shoot them. We lived in the north valleys for a while and if you got up it in the middle of the night you get hear them all yapping. Quite the spectacle. They get the rodents, etc so everything has a purpose in nature.

I don't know if this is common in other areas, but where we live many of the parks and public open spaces allow cattle grazing to reduce the fire danger. Cattle vs. hikers / bikers / pet dog range wars are a thing here:

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=17646

We've never been chased or cornered by a coyote, but have been by thousand pound cows, especially when we had dogs with us and the herd had calves to protect. Apparently dogs and coyotes are all the same to momma cows. U.C. Davis even made a pamphlet for hikers and bikers on how to keep safe from grazing livestock.

Last edited:
.223 will take care of it. One shot and the neighbors won't mind

If my life was endangered, but I'm pretty sure the po-po would be by to see what the commotion was about, even if the neighbors didn't mind...

223 will pass through the coyote with limited expansion. Would it tumble? Maybe or not. Maybe keeps going for a long way. My neighbor would mind if the projectile passed thorough his walls. In my state that's worth two felony charges, if no one is hurt. I'll pass.

Our coyotes seem to stick to the woods - which is mostly state park or national wildlife refuge. I enjoy their concerts, but we rarely see one.

They provide a valuable service by predating smaller animals - we have tons of rabbits and rats, not to mention raccoons and possums. Outdoor cats are a menace to local birdlife. So I tend to think they are providing a service there too in the wilder areas. Nevertheless we seem to have plenty of stray cats around here - maybe that's why they get into our gated community.

Donkeys

The farm across the road uses a donkey to protect the cattle. Lots of articles about this online. Might be easier to get a gun though.:D

Last edited:
While walking solo on the back nine at a California golf course, I had the pleasure of being stalked by a pair of coyotes. They split up so one was on each side of the fairway about 30-40 yards behind/away from me. When I stopped, they stopped and kind of looked away. When I continued walking, they followed. This went on for about 20 minutes. Needless to say I kept my 5-iron in my hand the whole time. Not sure what they wanted, but pretty sure they were not golf fans.

Back
Top Bottom