Kids and Summer Vacation

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am consternating so I thought I'd fish for opinions....

14 yo DD completes 8th grade this week. Brief snapshot: So far, somewhat an introvert. Has a girl or two she sits with at school lunch - but almost no "friends" get togethers, etc. But very happy to go to school, seems happy upon return. Overall very nice girl - starting to hear a bit of snark and hormone stuff - but very very nice girl and person so far.

So far for summer she's voluntarily signed up for a 1 week art class, she enjoys that. BUT - part of me wonders if I shouldn't be putting her in other stuff this summer be it singing, drama, math, computers, whatever. Part of me wants to do it....BUT based on her performance I'm wondering if few months of vegging it out might be ok too.

She had multiple Honors Classes in 8th grade. ALL teachers give great reviews, grades are A's and high B's. Athletically she does karate class 2 times per week.

I am thinking of putting her in one-week class - could be math, could be creative writing - something.

Is it ok to just let her veg out and do nothing?

Give her the list of options and ask if she's interested in any of them. If she says yes, wonderful. If she says no, I wouldn't force her.

It's summer break. If she wants to veg out, let her. I would however say that if she does want to veg out, that she'll have to do some chores and help out around the house.

Opportunities may be limited in your area, but in our area, some employers are willing to take on 14 year olds (an amusement park, primarily working concessions), and a local nature preserve runs a day camp where 14 year olds can volunteer as aides. And the local summer soccer program uses 13-14 to referee younger kids games.

I'd offer the opportunities but would not push anything at this point other than taking on chores around the house.

I had sons that at 14 were mowing our lawn, refereeing kids soccer (for pay), and started working at a nearby frozen treat stand. Of course, they had fun stuff too such as a one week soccer skill camp and a week at boy scout camp. The younger played rec soccer in the summer league also, the other son had soccer skills such that he didn't enjoy rec soccer anymore.

Last edited:
We just returned from London, Athens and Venice with our 10 year old granddaughter. I had to almost drag her to the historic sites, as she just didn't have any interest. She felt like a rat in a maze in Venice Wednesday with both of us not knowing where we were or where we were going.

Next week is her leaving for church camp for the week.

Keep'em busy and out of trouble. So far, she's not sleeping until noon daily--or staying on the computer all day.

Is she babysitting, dog-walking, grass cutting, gardening, etc? IME summer was when my kids learned things that were not in the books - especially if she is already in (and excelling) honors classes.

Honors student, heading to High school, where the push for college, etc starts.
She is already doing karate twice a week and an art class.
What does she want to do? What does she do on weekends, ie keep herself busy, stay stuck on a computer up in her room, ?

Summer is a time to relax and recharge for many kids, especially introverts.
Sounds like she is also beginning her hormonal adolescence, lots of changes.
I would encourage her to explore her interests, but don't push her too.
See how it goes.
She sounds like a good kid.

Give her the list of options and ask if she's interested in any of them. If she says yes, wonderful. If she says no, I wouldn't force her.

It's summer break. If she wants to veg out, let her. I would however say that if she does want to veg out, that she'll have to do some chores and help out around the house.

What he said.

When I was 14 I was mowing a few lawns for a bit of spending money, which I spent on model airplanes and fuel for same, but much of the time was "vegging out" and that's a good thing. I did go to a summer camp once but while I didn't hate it, I was less than enthused about the whole thing too and never asked to go again. It could well be that she doesn't need to go to one to know that.

The best source is her; let her decide what she wants to do. Of course a few required chores won't hurt, but I had lots of nonscheduled time during summers and even with hindsight I think that was a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom