Living off the land - In the city!

Very nice article there, Cattusbabe.

Talk about foraging, near my 2nd home in the AZ high country is a creek downstream from a trout fishery ran by the State Fish and Game Department. The creek is choked full with watercress. Beautifully green watercress compared to the pathetic bunch I occasionally see in the market. Sadly, there is a posted sign: "No plant picking".

Away from the creek and safely far from that authoritative sign are some wild grape vines. I have not been there in fall to see what kind of fruit they bear, but suspect it would be very sour. However, in late spring, the grape leaves are just beautiful, large and free of the disgusting skeletonizer moth larvae that infest home grown vines. So, we picked some to make grape leaf rolls filled with ground beef+pork, then grilled. Wash that down with some red wine, and you have enjoyed all that the vine has to offer. Yummy!

Sorry to be absent here for a while, but this is foraging season you know, and, as I've always said, "A squirrel waits for no man."

Seriously, got some tasty fiddle head ferns, wild onions, and Mr. Gibbon's favorite - wild asparagus - this spring. PLUS - drum roll please - a handful of morel mushrooms.

Long time no post, my fellow forum member. Welcome back.

Pictures of your home-grown bamboo shoots, please?

Or have you eaten them all? :)

So, "Is that a bamboo shoot, or are you just happy to see me again?"

Let me see if I can post a picture.

Back
Top Bottom