Long haul and jet lag - how you handle this?

Long ago I was told that they turn down the oxygen and temperature on airplanes at night in an effort to encourage passengers to sleep (less work for the flight crew that way). Don't know if that is true or not, but it is what it is. Maybe you could tuck one of those fleece truckers' blankets in your carry-on to provide a little added warmth to what you can get from the flight blankets. They don't take much space.

In my past few trips, I have resorted to taking along a thin down feather jacket which is really comfy. Also, it can be folded to a small square and easy to carry plus light.

Long ago I was told that they turn down the oxygen and temperature on airplanes at night in an effort to encourage passengers to sleep (less work for the flight crew that way). Don't know if that is true or not....

It is not true. The amount of oxygen is based on what the pressurized cabin altitude is, normally 5-8,000 feet and that system is run automatically based on what altitude the aircraft is at the time.

On older aircraft, the temperature is controlled in the cockpit. There are gauges that tell the temp in various cabin zones. The pilots set it based on what they "think" the temperature should be until the flight attendants tell them to turn it up or down.

If you are cold or hot TELL the flight attendants. On the newer aircraft like the Airbus 330, the flt atts can control the temp from a panel in their galley.

Back
Top Bottom