Looking for that elusive PURPOSE in retirement

rkser

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am fairly satisfied with my retirement with -

- Regular Exercise - mostly walk daily
- Money will outlive us, at least on paper
- Lovely family, 3 wonderful grandchildren
- Volunteer at 2 places- Free Clinic & County Garden Extension (& till recently at Meals on Wheels, DW still does)
- Socially fairly involved with friends & at place of worship

But I do not have (still searching) any major purpose in my life, which I keep reading about, like people Retire to a special purpose in their lives.

My retirement is the garden variety, no major purpose just do my above regular activities.

Do you have a Purpose in your retired life ?

or is that talk about purpose just unreal & some Hot Air .

Last edited:
Your retirement sounds pretty good. Similar to mine. You say you are happy with it. Why ruin it with a search for some nebulous purpose?
I believe the things you listed are quite sufficient purposes in their own right. Serving in your church, helping with grandies, etc.
Relax, live, and enjoy what God has blessed you with!

Your retirement sounds pretty good. Similar to mine. You say you are happy with it. Why ruin it with a search for some nebulous purpose?
I believe the things you listed are quite sufficient purposes in their own right. Serving in your church, helping with grandies, etc.
Relax, live, and enjoy what God has blessed you with!

+1
Not sure what you are expecting in addition to what you are doing. The vast majority of folks don't have what you have.
For me not having a job ever again is a daily blessing and I loved my career.

My only purpose in retirement is to enjoy my freedom and my time to do what I want. Sounds like you have achieved that. All the rest is just hot air.

Sounds like a full life already. Obviously purpose means something different to each of us. Some search for a purpose, for others it’s revealed to them, some don’t care. Lots of discussion online already, e.g. https://www.nextavenue.org/retirement-purpose/

I think my purpose is to never stop learning, but that’s been true my entire life, didn’t change when I retired. What I’m learning about constantly evolves, so it never gets boring - been true for over 68 year so far. I got my curiosity and interest in learning from my parents. I want to know everything there is to know, while knowing full well I'll never even come close, but its fun trying.

Last edited:
I think it's easy to get discouraged when you don't think you have a defined purpose in life. The more I consider it, but the less I -worry- about it, the happier I am. I used to think a lot in absolute terms, but now I think more like "I used to think that, and now I think this...for now."

My current purpose in life? To gain a better understanding without trying to have an opinion about things. It's not nearly as easy as it sounds. If I say "Taxes" or "Racism" or "Trans people" or "God" it's hard not to immediately have a reaction to it. But now that I've read several books and researched a lot on a couple of these topics, I realize the more I learn the more I realize I didn't know squat. THAT excites me! Like most people, I thought I had most of these topics all figured out. I did not. I still don't, but I'm getting closer. And if I can share a little bit of that understanding (sans opinion and attitude), I consider my current life purpose to be fulfilled.

“The Perfect Way is only difficult for those who pick and choose;
Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear.
Make a hairbreadth difference, and Heaven and Earth are set apart;
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against.
The struggle between 'for' and 'against' is the mind's worst disease;”
― Jianzhi Sengcan

You're taking care of yourself. You're taking care of your family. You're volunteering at two sites. I'd say that's purpose enough.

Something to do
Something to love
Something to look forward to

I ran a business for 24 years - 24 hour, 7 day a week job. In retirement I really don’t mind not being so driven. I am over it. If we travel, great. If we go for a hike, great. If we hang out with friends, great. If I read a book, great. If I fall asleep at 2 in the afternoon, great.

- Volunteer at 2 places- Free Clinic & County Garden Extension (& till recently at Meals on Wheels, DW still does)

But I do not have (still searching) any major purpose in my life, which I keep reading about, like people Retire to a special purpose in their lives.

My retirement is the garden variety, no major purpose just do my above regular activities.

Set goals for yourself! I can't speak enough to the innate joy and satisfaction that I derive from setting a goal, working to obtain it, and then basking in the glow of a job well done. And ultimately, the achievement of that goal leads to another without even trying.

Some ideas from my own life, substitute as pertinent for you:

- Trained for three months recently, in order to walk across Spain. In the process, joined a local Camino group, experienced local Spanish cuisine with them, studied Spanish, and will become a trail volunteer with same local Camino group upon our return.

- Began taking sailing lessons, which led to joining a sailing club (no boat required!), which led to philanthropic opportunities to introduce economically disadvantaged youth to the joys of being out on the water.

- Took guitar lessons which led to joining an amateur group of seniors that perform at non-demanding venues (Ha!)

And so on, and so on, and so on.

I'd also recommend that you obtain a copy of the book The Joy of Not Working by Ernie Zelinski as soon as you can. His entire book is based on exactly this premise. My favorite take away from his book is that when you only do that which you define as easy, life can become difficult. Conversely, when you decide to do that which is hard, life unfolds in an entirely different and satisfying direction.

Last edited:
I have never felt the need to have a purpose in retirement.

My purpose is to wake up each day. I've been 100% successful.
:D

I have a hobby job in retirement that is a continuation of something that I've done since college which is setting up and running small sound systems for bands. I average 1 - 2 gigs per week and I only take gigs that I think will be fun. I surf audio forums and watch YouTube channels to try an improve my mixing and system optimization skills. The money I make is spent on improving my gear and I do that by surfing used equipment sites daily. Without this hobby, I think I would be bored in retirement. But it gives me just enough structure fill up my days while at the same time not requiring me to be somewhere per someone else's schedule. I feel fortunate to have something to do that I really enjoy, yet at the same time I can control how much I work.

I don't think of this as my life's purpose though. I guess I see that as just trying to live each day well which is why I don't take gigs that I suspect will not be any fun. I don't need the money, so I can turn down work and that is one of most powerful aspects of being FI!

My goal/purpose each day is to enjoy it fully, be thankful for all I have in my life. Same now as it was while working.

In my last few years of work, I felt very little purpose from it. Being retired gives me more time for volunteer work. This week I'll weed whack the mile of the AT that I maintain. Maybe it'll save a hiker from a lot of misery with Lyme disease from a tick bite.

My goal/purpose each day is to enjoy it fully, be thankful for all I have in my life. Same now as it was while working.

I think these are goals/purposes that we should all strive for. If I can add one more that ties into these, it is to be more present in everything that I do as well.

“The Perfect Way is only difficult for those who pick and choose;
Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear.
Make a hairbreadth difference, and Heaven and Earth are set apart;
If you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against.
The struggle between 'for' and 'against' is the mind's worst disease;”
― Jianzhi Sengcan

This. I've been practicing formal meditation for 17 years and it's shown me how the mind filters and colors our perceptions according to the limited information stored in our brains. The thoughts created by that processing are necessary for our survival of course―they're tools we need for day-to-day life. But to be able to set those tools down and experience the now without using them is quite a revelation.

Never understood the "purpose" thing. IMO there is no purpose in life or retirement other than to enjoy what you have and not hurt anyone else. Always thought it a bit presumptuous to think we’re here for some grand, reason of the universe.

The Universe doesn't need you. Go find a nice beach to sit on. Get a drink. Have a nice meal. Sleep late.

Last edited:
Purpose? If I wake up in the morning, know it, then smile

It's nothing but hot air :LOL:

No offense, but I suggest you throw away whatever you're reading about that mumbo jumbo stuff and just go and enjoy your retirement.

When I retired, I was DONE working. In search of purpose, I don't consider than at option. With that said, maybe you are missing a challenge. I'm pursuing the following items. Exercise: increase exertion and duration. Backpacking - learning this hobby and prepping for hiking 70 miles in 12 days. Golf - always opportunity to improve handicap and I'm also trying to increase swing speed fighting against age. DIY - Working on 1,000 sq feet of deck using IPE, picture frame layout. Feeds my desire to achieve goals and feel productive each day.

Your question has been asked for thousands of years. Well over 2000 years ago there was a very wise king who had everything in the world one could possibly want except for one thing and that was purpose. He wrote a book about his search for purpose and after a complete examination of himself and his life he still was unable to come up with a good answer. The only thing he could come with was that he should enjoy life as best he could knowing that one day he would stand before God and answer for what he had done in his lifetime and to fear God and obey his commandments. The book, Ecclesiastes, by King Solomon is a short read. I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
...Do you have a Purpose in your retired life ?

I think that after a life of working with incredible focus, it is hard to feel that passion or sense of purpose at our ages or in our retirement. We've been so fortunate. But maybe it's time to reinvent your retirement? I remember a sage discussion here (which I can't seem to find) that said that every so often you need to reinvent your retirement. It's really stuck with me.

This year I volunteered to birthday cakes for kids that might not otherwise get then since they are in foster care or are homeless. Trust me, this is completely out of character! I can count on one hand the number of cakes I made before signing up. But I can't tell you how much satisfaction I get from doing this.

Can you change up what you have been doing, add a new pursuit or drop something for which you are just going through the motions? It doesn't need to be cosmic, but maybe this is your way of telling yourself that it's time to do something different.

BR

Last edited by a moderator:
Your question has been asked for thousands of years. Well over 2000 years ago there was a very wise king who had everything in the world one could possibly want except for one thing and that was purpose. He wrote a book about his search for purpose and after a complete examination of himself and his life he still was unable to come up with a good answer. The only thing he could come with was that he should enjoy life as best he could knowing that one day he would stand before God and answer for what he had done in his lifetime and to fear God and obey his commandments. The book, Ecclesiastes, by King Solomon is a short read. I highly recommend it.

+1

Ecclesiastes:
[13] Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. [14] For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Timely question for me as well. One of the great things about this place is there is always someone with similar questions/concerns to help crystalize my thoughts :)

I retired 8+ years ago to raise two young kids after their mom died. And boy, did I have a purpose, and I ended my professional life to have time to devote to it. Oldest just graduated from college, youngest heading that way in a few months. The end of that journey is a few years over the horizon, but the house will be empty except for me in a few months.

My purpose/goal has been met - the kids can survive on their own now with what they have learned, what I would leave behind, and the advisors they personally know.

So, what's next for me? I have thought about that a lot since the oldest left for college 4 years ago. All I have come up with is a whole lot of "I don't really know". Had to punt on ready companionship as the second marriage didn't last. Based on what I enjoy, it's likely to include some regional auto travel, bicycling, motorcycle trips and cold beer at beach bars.

Maybe something will light me up, but after a rewarding and satisfying career, burying the first wife, raising kids, getting married again and having that fall apart, I think I'm going to content for a while to wake up in the morning, have my signature homemade latte and see what I feel like doing. It will be something, and I'll end the day glad to have had another one to fill as I like.

The purpose of Kindergarden-12th grade is to do well so you can go to College (or out on your own)

The purpose of College is to get a good job

The purpose of the Job is to feed and take care of your family

The purpose of the job is also to set you up for retirement

It is easy to get so use to having a purpose that we feel it is just the way things are.

The purpose for me now is to have the freedom to do what I want when I want it without having to have a purpose. Sure projects come up that you need a purpose to complete them so you know when you are done.

Purpose drives a plan that needs to be followed, which to me is the opposite of retirement.

Everyone has a different perspective and some need a purpose. You have to ask yourself if you really need a purpose or are just trained over a lifetime of hard work to have one.

Life without a defined purpose isn't a waste. That are a lot of things that enrich your lives and you can do to enrich others lives. For me, I spend a lot of timing with my grandkids. I go offroading with my friends. I lead trail runs on national off road events. I do projects around the house to make it how I want it.

No defined purpose, but a Life rich with rewards earned over a lifetime of hard work with the purpose to get here.

Just one persons perspective

Back
Top Bottom