Lucky to ER?

I attributed my ER success as
1/3 pure luck, born smart, and right time, right place.
1/3 Earned luck: Worked to get my lottery tickets (aka stock options) but being at Intel as opposed a bunch of other companies.
1/3 Skill and judgement.

I attributed my ER success as
1/3 pure luck, born smart, and right time, right place.
1/3 Earned luck: Worked to get my lottery tickets (aka stock options) but being at Intel as opposed a bunch of other companies.
1/3 Skill and judgement.

That seems about right for the average person, whether that's the allocation of good luck or bad luck :p

In a some what related study from UC Berkeley -

"In a Monopoly game rigged to give a randomly selected player extra starting cash and dice rolls, the player who had that advantage was more likely to say he deserved to win based on his skills (rather than his luck in a coin toss at the start)."

The game was rigged so that the player losing the coin toss had no way of ever winning.

Reminds me of the TED talk about the monkey inequality experiment: Two Monkeys Were Paid Unequally: Excerpt from Frans de Waal's TED Talk - YouTube

Reminds me of the TED talk about the monkey inequality experiment: Two Monkeys Were Paid Unequally: Excerpt from Frans de Waal's TED Talk - YouTube

Hmmm...

When humans see the capuchin monkeys receiving unequal pay, and the one getting cucumbers instead of grapes protests, the humans laugh.

When humans see other humans getting unequal pay, and the poorly paid humans protesting, then the human observers rationalize why this is a good thing.

Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Back
Top Bottom