Malta + Sicily and/or Tunisia?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've always been interested in seeing Malta. It would seem to make sense to combine a tour there with either Sicily or Tunisia or perhaps both. I'm thinking maybe 10-15 days. Would be leaving form US East Coast. I've Googled these locations and there are indeed tours available. Anyone had any experience with these locations they'd care to share?

We were in Malta 9 months ago, and it was a lovely place. It's only something like 65 miles south of Sicily, and both would be great to see on the same trip. They're also traveler friendly.

Been to Malta & Sicily (twice) as cruise ship stops. Enjoyed both a lot & would have liked to spend more time. Much history & unique architecture in Malta. Could see 3-4 days without going to beach as many do. Could take a 7-10 days tour of Sicily if what I saw is at all representative. Only thing Tunisia does for me is Carthage ruins. Presume there's more as enough tourists go.

Only thing Tunisia does for me is Carthage ruins. Presume there's more as enough tourists go.

Mostly it's beach stuff.....I was on Djerba, (purportedly Odysseus's 'Land of the Lotus Eaters'), in 1969........probably just more hotels since then.

We did ten days in Malta then flew to Sicily for three plus weeks.

Both were very good experiences. We used public transport in Malta. In Sicily we did car rentals, trains, and a ferry to get to the outer islands. Very easy and we were so glad that we did independent travel. Absolutely no language issues.

We flew to To Catania from Malta on Air Malta. $50. We could have taken a ferry. At the end we flew from Palarmo to Rome for $38 (Veuling)to grab a late booking cruise to Barcelona. Air to Rome was much less expensive, faster, and less hassle than the train.

We highly recommend both islands.

I love Sicily. Not just because my husband has extended family there... but because it is so rich in greek ruins, great food, and super friendly people. Plus eastern Sicily has the same climate as San Diego - so it's comfortable for me.

I haven't been to Tunisia or Malta but my parents went to Malta on a Road Scholars tour (then called elderhostels) and really enjoyed it. My sister has been to Tunisia several times visiting a friend who lives there on her way to/from volunteering in refugee camps in Uganda. She loves it there. Both Malta and Tunisia are on my "to do" list.

Sicily is great, we had a great time staying Taormina for 3 nights at the end of last month. Also, be sure to climb Mt Etna. We did that on our last day, and it was a highlight of the trip. The tour guide had a degree in geology, and was very good. they gave us snowshoes to use, which was an experience itself. PM me if you want the name of our company.

I went to Tunisia about 15 years ago. It was pretty dumpy, and I wouldn't recommend it. Germans used to like Tunisian beaches in the summer, but less so recently, due to terrorist activities.

Last edited:
A while back, I even entertained the idea of spending a few years of retirement in Malta. They welcome retirees who can prove financial self-support. It would make a good spot from which to visit other Mediterranean places.

Needless to say, I never did it, and still have not visited this little country.

We have friends who made Malta their tax haven and rented a 3BR condo. They offered it to us because they never use it. Instead we went to Sicily and enjoyed it immensely. Taormina in fantastic. And touring around the island.

We got to Catania via Vueling from Rome.

Thanks very much to those who provided insights, both on this forum and by PM. We're evaluating such a trip vs a few other options. So many places to visit, so little time (and $)!

I'm late to this discussion, but would recommend Tunisia. I have been there many times on business. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, and there is a lot of Roman history to visit. I actually wish I had done more touring when I was there.

As you sail into the harbor in Malta, the whole hillside is one giant fortress made of huge gold colored slabs of rock. It's hard to believe that all that rock was quarried from the Nile River valley in Egypt and brought over piece by piece by sailing ships.

I cannot imagine how they'd move one of those huge slabs--much less assemble thousands and thousands of rock slabs together into a city.

It's really something to see.

We had a day trip to Tunis.

Morocco is on my bucket list big time...up there with Philippines. Maybe late 2017 depending on convincing DW. Usually a stop in Italy, expecially Sicily, is enough to seal the deal. We are in Valparaiso, Chile for a few days. First impressions...it is wonderful and so very different. The cab is so far so good..looking forward to the wine valley areas.

Back
Top Bottom