Mark Cuban launches Prescription drug site

This looks good on the surface, but I wonder what the actual dollar savings are for the most commonly prescribed drugs. I mean, it's pretty eye-catching to see that this new service is charging, say, 50% less for a drug than you could get using GoodRx. But if that means paying $5/month instead of $10, it's hardly life changing. Hopefully, the list will grow over time to include drugs that typically cost $100+ per month.
Although the goal of the original table was to be a quick, clear idea about the pricing on the MC site, I see that I've failed in that regard :) I think you are astute in your observation about relative vs absolute dollars. Only in a few cases were the examples that I picked save more than $100/yr.

The value in the table is the ANNUAL SAVINGS you'd get buying on the MC site. So if it's negative, the local store was cheaper. If it's positive and you bought from the MC site, the value is what you'd save over the span of a year.
Drug|Costco|C V S|Grocery
Amlodipine (Generic for Norvasc)|
-$150​
|
$3529​
|
-$160​
|
Ropinirole (Generic for Requip)|
-$16​
|
$65​
|
-$1​
|
Ezetimibe (Generic for Zetia)|
$97​
|
$105​
|
$23​
|
Paroxetine (Generic for Paxil)|
$115​
|
$239​
|
$46​
|
Furosemide (Generic for Lasix)|
$25​
|
$128​
|
$62​
|
Levetiracetam Extended Release (ER) (Generic for Keppra XR)|
$186​
|
$259​
|
$83​
|
Nifedipine Extended Release (ER) (Generic for Procardia XL)|
-$15​
|
$47​
|
-$8​
|
Mirtazapine (Generic for Remeron SolTab)|
$36​
|
$154​
|
$9​
|
Trazodone (Generic for Desyrel)|
$65​
|
$340​
|
$85​
|
Cyclobenzaprine Extended Release (ER) (Generic for Amrix)|
$98​
|
$927​
|
$113​
|

Then comes the promise. Someday soon they will be making their own drugs in Texas.

I really hope this is the case - I'm taking a delayed release drug now that most pharmacies are getting from China and it doesn't work as intended, i.e. the drug is released over the first 4-6 hours not 24.

The same generic from a US or Indian manufacturer works well, so I now have to hunt for pharmacies that carry one of them. And that list is shrinking.

This sure seems like a great business opportunity, filling a niche for that population without insurance, presumably competing with GoodRx. I suspect the current somewhat limited list of available drugs will increase as the business grows.

Looks like he's just copying what GeniusRX has been doing for years. Quick research shows CostPlus has slightly higher prices, with less of a selection and a website that isn't as good. Not sure why anyone would want to switch to CostPlus from GeniusRX. GeniusRX has no fill fees and no shipping or delivery fees.

Last edited:
I looked prices for my heart meds (Metoprolol, Atorvastatin, Losartan) and they were way cheaper than what Genius Rx offers. Losartan is even less at my local ACME but only by $1.50

don't overlook walmart's $4 prescriptions

https://www.kff.org/wp-content/uplo...ercial-pharmaceutical-supply-chain-report.pdf

This article is approaching 20 years old, but it does a good job of explaining the insanity of drug pricing. I think what it says still holds true to a large degree. Ultimately they keep adding layers and layers to try to control costs but the more layers you add the more expensive it gets.

You have manufacturers, distributors, pharmacy benefit managers, pharmacies and insurance companies then health care providers. To the extent you could go directly from manufacturers and purchase generics that are very cheap to manufacture perhaps in selective cases you can cut out costs. The question is how much leverage the big guys have such that they can squeeze out new entrants into the system.

This is very informative. At first glance, Atorvastatin (Lipitor generic) is $5.07 for 20mg, 90 tabs (get a pill splitter and you have a 6 month supply at 10mg). Only issue is Costco has this same prescription for FREE VIA a promo with Caremark. But still, WAY cheaper than the $350+ I used to spend on Lipitor when I was working and on a group plan. A step in the right direction for sure.

Back
Top Bottom