Mattresses

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
Our 25 year old Select Comfort pump died, and it is too old to get a replacement pump.I could pump it up with an air compressor as needed, but that seems like a pita.

So we are going mattress shopping. There is an old thread on this, but I'd like to get recent recommendations.

My niece and her husband just got a Dream Cloud. They get good ratings. Anyone here have a Dream Cloud?

Last edited:
We converted over to firm foam mattresses.
Now we don’t ever want to go back to spring mattresses (or hybrids). There are so many options now - from firm to soft - with different layers by different manufacturers.

It’s practically an individual choice now

We've purchased 3 of these from Amazon over the past few years. It is wonderful and the price is right. No box spring needed. We've purchased 1 king, 1 queen, 1 full. They do put it on sale periodically - we paid $425 (in 2020) for the king, and it's currently $306. The queen is currently $275 and we paid $217 (in 2018 with Deal of the Day). Comes compressed and rolled up. Unbox, toss it on the frame (or on top of existing box spring), cut the wrapping, let it unroll, wait 24 hours, then it's good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GO33I0

I am on my second sleep number and I wouldn’t have anything else. My ex got the original one that’s 18 years old. Mine pumps up around me when I lay down. It’s a feature you can turn off if you want.

We purchased a Live and Sleep mattress. DW loves it. I am not as particular but I think it is very good. We are planning to move and we’re discussing if we should pass the mattress to a family member given it is only 4 years old. If we do, DW knows it will be replaced with the same brand, newer version. Saving money on another brand was not a discussion we were going to have.

While looking at this, b4 I realized my options, I found this link you might find helpful https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/sleep/mattresses/

I had a sleep number for over a decade but we switched to purple about a year ago and it is the best mattress on the planet IMHO

I got a Helix, the Midnight Luxe firmer one of their line. It's very supportive, but it feels like I'm sleeping on a marshmallow and I love it. I've had issues with back pain in the past, often on even good hotel beds when travelling after a few days. Not this.

Like all the online-try-for-100 nights places, they do make it easy if you don't love it, and will pick it up, refund you, and donate it to charity.

Mattresses are obviously very personal. We bought the Saatva recently. It’s pretty similar to our old mattress but I’m not sure we’ll keep it. It’s a bit too firm. DW just put a new bed (twin) in her office and it’s a foam mattress. We’re going to take some naps on that and see if we like the full foam mattress better than the hybrid innerspring that we got.

Saatva also sells the Loom and Leaf memory foam mattress. We may try that next. Unfortunately, the trial period only applies to one mattress so they essentially encourage you to go somewhere else if you don’t like the first one you select. I’ll talk to them if we end up returning the one we just bought.

We've purchased 3 of these from Amazon over the past few years. It is wonderful and the price is right. No box spring needed. We've purchased 1 king, 1 queen, 1 full. They do put it on sale periodically - we paid $425 (in 2020) for the king, and it's currently $306. The queen is currently $275 and we paid $217 (in 2018 with Deal of the Day). Comes compressed and rolled up. Unbox, toss it on the frame (or on top of existing box spring), cut the wrapping, let it unroll, wait 24 hours, then it's good to go.

Howie, that is an amazing price! I would be suspicious of buying a mattress that cheap ($300 for a KING!). How is the firmness? It says "medium plush" on the description. Is there a "# of nights to try it" guarantee that you like it? How would you even return it if you didn't?

We're actually having Raymour and Flanigan come to our condo (where we only stay part-time) tomorrow to inspect our 6 year old inner spring mattress that we bought from them. It has developed a "cove" on one side that makes it terrible to sleep on. I'm not sure what they will be able to offer to do to repair or replace it but are hoping we can buy elsewhere.
We've owned a Charles B. Rogers Innerspring mattress for years that we love and would consider another one. But now that you and others have mentioned these foam mattress, we may have to check them out. what a great price!

If you have access to Consumer Reports, they test a lot of mattresses. We didn't go by their overall recommendations but instead looked at those whose ratings were highest for our particular needs e.g. if you are both tall back sleepers, you don't need a high rating for petite side-sleepers. Anyway, we ended up with a Tuft and Needle mattress that we're very pleased with. Since a mattress is something you spend a lot of time on for may years, cost should be a lesser concern IMHO.

We went from a 10+ year old tempurpedic to a new purple. It's much cooler and way cheaper than a new tempurpedic. I think this is one of those things that you need to try in the store. Good luck.

Howie, that is an amazing price! I would be suspicious of buying a mattress that cheap ($300 for a KING!). How is the firmness? It says "medium plush" on the description. Is there a "# of nights to try it" guarantee that you like it? How would you even return it if you didn't?

Just another data point, I bought this full size compressed mattress on Amazon a year and a half ago -

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07DD7P933/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was a black Friday sale for $259, now it's around $400.

Still very pleased with it, would buy it again. What's cool about this one is that it can be flipped, though one side is softer than the other.

At the time, I figured if I got a couple of years out of it, I'd be happy. No signs of wear, etc. so far. YMMV

Mattresses are obviously very personal. We bought the Saatva recently. It’s pretty similar to our old mattress but I’m not sure we’ll keep it. It’s a bit too firm. DW just put a new bed (twin) in her office and it’s a foam mattress. We’re going to take some naps on that and see if we like the full foam mattress better than the hybrid innerspring that we got.

Saatva also sells the Loom and Leaf memory foam mattress. We may try that next. Unfortunately, the trial period only applies to one mattress so they essentially encourage you to go somewhere else if you don’t like the first one you select. I’ll talk to them if we end up returning the one we just bought.
We've had a Stearns & Foster extra firm, a Sleep Number, natural Latex tally/dunlop and didn't get along with any of them. We decided we needed to go back to basics and bought a top of the line Saatva innerspring, although I put a 3" layer of TemperPedic foam on top - so it's essentially a hybrid. It's been the best for us, but I am a side sleeper. What's best for anyone depends on how you sleep among other things. Best of luck.

We've had a Stearns & Foster extra firm, a Sleep Number, natural Latex tally/dunlop and didn't get along with any of them. We decided we needed to go back to basics and bought a top of the line Saatva innerspring, although I put a 3" layer of TemperPedic foam on top - so it's essentially a hybrid. It's been the best for us, but I am a side sleeper. What's best for anyone depends on how you sleep among other things. Best of luck.

We bought the Saatva Classic. Also a side sleeper as is DW. I was thinking about buying a topper. I might look into that further before my test period ends. However, it's a little disappointing to spend over $2K on a mattress and have to augment it with a topper. Though probably less trouble than sending the mattress back and having to re-shop.

Ii want one of these in this price range that is very plush and very soft..For reference I now sleep on a Number bed set at 55..Any suggestions?

We had a Sleep Number bed years ago bought at DW request. We ditched it as she learned she is chemically sensitive and latex is a no no.

Four years ago we got a purple mattress which I think is fantastic! Super comfortable. But she decided her side is "sagging". I do not detect that myself but I could sleep just about anywhere, though I sleep better due to our ongoing mattress quest.

So this week, we just bought the Purple Mattress 3. $4400 USD. That's with a 10 percent discount we negotiated. Do I win some kind of prize?

My prayer is that it is comfortable for her and count my blessings that I do not have any major sleep issues.

Was not sure whether to put this here or BTD.

No mention of Sealy posturepedic? I was thinking of buying a $600 twin from Raymond & Flanigan for my stepdad.

On your Select Comfort bed, we bought a new set of foam components for ours from this aftermarket company last year, and they have worked well. Last I looked, they also sold a replacement pump.

https://airbedrepair.com/

^ I really didn’t need to see this. Select Comfort told us that they no longer make a pump that would work with our bed. The one in the above link looks like it would work.

It may be to late for us - DW has started putting the old bed out for garbage. She said that she deserved a new bed after 25 years with the select comfort. It was a good bed.

I’ve since ordered a Dream Cloud online. We’ll see how that goes.

Honestly, from all the reading I did when mattress shopping last year, if you feel you need a new mattress and your existing one is more than a few years old, almost any mattress will be an improvement.

I know it's easy to balk at the prices, but considering the 10 year life and time you spend on them, it's one place to easily justify spending a little more.

It may be to late for us - DW has started putting the old bed out for garbage. She said that she deserved a new bed after 25 years with the select comfort.
At 25 years, your bed may simply have had too many old parts for it to make sense, ours is about 12 years old.

Back
Top Bottom