Mattresses

We're actually having Raymour and Flanigan come to our condo (where we only stay part-time) tomorrow to inspect our 6 year old inner spring mattress that we bought from them. It has developed a "cove" on one side that makes it terrible to sleep on. I'm not sure what they will be able to offer to do to repair or replace it but are hoping we can buy elsewhere.

An update. Raymour & Flanagan came today to inspect the mattress. Although the serviceman acknowledged that there was an issue with the wear of our mattress, he said he would submit his report and we would hear back from Customer Service. They called us and told us that there was nothing they could do for us as the measurements taken doesn't meet their criteria for adjustment/ replacement.

So much for Raymour & Flanagan standing behind their products! I don't care how many months of "interest free financing" they offer us (60 months on the most recent promotion), we won't be buying anything from them again.

.... Is there a "# of nights to try it" guarantee that you like it? How would you even return it if you didn't? ....

I have not read every word of this thread, but that "how would you return it" caught my eye.

We just replaced our mattress, and based on what I read (horror stories) of the process of actually returning a mattress bought on-line, we decided to order from Costco, because they say you can return it to any of their stores. The horror stories were mostly about how the heck can you get the mattress back in the shipping box, arranging pick up, etc.

The good news is we seem to be happy with our choice, the bad news is I can't add anything useful about the actual return process back to Costco (but I assume if I could manage to get it a few miles strapped to the SUV, that they'd accept it).

-ERD50

From the Saatva website:

If you aren't completely happy with your Saatva mattress during your 365-night home trial, just give us a call at 1-877-672-2882. We’ll schedule a pick up of your mattress and issue a refund for the purchase price (taxes included) to your original method of payment.

You’ll only pay a $99 processing fee and we’ll take care of the rest!
We never resell returned mattresses. Instead, we donate them to veterans' shelters or offer them to employees and associates across our network of more than 150 delivery centers.

From the Saatva website:

If you aren't completely happy with your Saatva mattress during your 365-night home trial, just give us a call at 1-877-672-2882. We’ll schedule a pick up of your mattress and issue a refund for the purchase price (taxes included) to your original method of payment.

You’ll only pay a $99 processing fee and we’ll take care of the rest!
We never resell returned mattresses. Instead, we donate them to veterans' shelters or offer them to employees and associates across our network of more than 150 delivery centers.

Ahhh, good to know. Thanks - ERD50

No mention of Sealy posturepedic? I was thinking of buying a $600 twin from Raymond & Flanigan for my stepdad.

We bought 2 of them at Mancini's after much testing at the store. They are medium firmness, coil spring and work well for us, both not small side sleepers - :)

We bought a sleep number in February. It will be delivered on Friday. It was ridiculously expensive so it better be worth it.

We’ve been sleeping on an 11 yr old beauty rest that developed an awful sag maybe 4-5 yrs in. Though I measured it at over an inch, they wouldn’t replace it under warranty.

I’ve been having horrible allergies that seem to be related to our bedroom, so hoping a new mattress will help with that too.

We are looking to upgrade. I'm interested in a bed with the adjustable base so you can raise your head (and feet?). I'm think we would want to get one of those split ones that can move independently. It can get crazy expensive though

We are looking to upgrade. I'm interested in a bed with the adjustable base so you can raise your head (and feet?). I'm think we would want to get one of those split ones that can move independently. It can get crazy expensive though

qwerty, I would recommend NOT getting an adjustable base, regardless of the type of mattress. We had one a few years ago and hated it. The issue was, that in order for the mechanism to work, the head of the frame needed to be set back from the headboard a few inches. We were constantly finding that our pillows would fall into this gap. It drove us nuts and there was nothing that could be done to fix it.

The benefits of adjusting the bed position isn't worth the hassle/ inconvenience (and possible mechanical breakdowns) IMO.

I bought a adjustable bed and in a year my pillow has never once fell through. The thing I love about sleep number is that you don’t need to replace them as long as you can get the parts. My chiropractor has one that’s 25 years old. The mattress can’t wear out.

We bought a BeautyRest Black mattress about 6 years ago and its been great. I believe they come in different firmness levels. The mattress store we went to had a bed setup with sensors and a computer that provides recommendations of best mattresses based on how it senses your pressure points.

We have a Serta I Comfort Foam firm mattress we purchased 2 years ago and are happy with it.

I'm a Bed in a Bag guy. Their mattresses are made of American elastomeric foam that don't have any Chinese air in them. BASF superior foam, specifically.

And they were the cheapest source for Leggett and Platt adjustable bed frames--delivered. My queen bed frame (with Magic Fingers) only weighed 200 lbs.--dropped at the curb.

The company is out of Johnson City, TN, and they're an exemplary operation.

I should have gone a different route than Dream Cloud. They get great reviews online and my niece likes hers, but I'm having some problems.

Ours was supposed to be delivered by Fedex last Friday. Didn't get it. Then Fedex.com, an email and text said Monday. Didn't come in. Then supposed to be today. Didn't come in. I called Fedex and they said that it went to the wrong distribution center. They think its on a truck between Chicago dist center and suburban dist center.

Oh - and the frame Dream Cloud sent me does not have mounting holes to attach a headboard. And we have a headboard that DW wants to use.

We have had a sleep number bed for about 17 years. My wife still loves it but I would not buy another one. I like the concept but not the execution. Before we bought it, I was concerned about the mechanical reliability of the parts. And my experience validated this concern.

I have had to replace leaking hose connectors 4 or 5 times, and an entire air chamber once. The LCD readouts on the pump controllers are losing segments, and the one on my side is no longer readable. Is this reasonable for a bed this old? Maybe, but each repair is an annoyance and an extra expense, and I have had to sleep in the guest room several times for a few days until the repair parts arrive and allow reinflating the air chamber.

Back when the bed was under warranty, the company's customer service to get warranty parts was excellent.

I recommend the ZINUS 12 or 13 inch Euro Top Pocket mattress off Amazon. Had them in my vacation rentals and got many compliments on them. Some of our guests actually bought them to replace their current home mattress. We also have the same mattress for our own home.

We bought a DreamCloud Premier a few weeks ago. I was having a lot of hip and ribcage pain when I slept on my side. That pain is mostly gone now. I don't know how much is due to the new mattress vs the having an adjustable frame for the first time. My old mattress was 1) really old, and 2) too firm for a side sleeper. The new mattress is a medium firmness which is better for side sleepers. However the adjustable frame has me sleeping on my back all night which is probably what is helping with the pain as much as anything. I don't know if the DreamCloud Premier is the best mattress for us, but I think we will probably keep it, although we have a year to decide whether to keep it. I suppose we could order something else to compare it to and then pick one to keep and return the other, but that seems like a PITA. I kinda wish we would have got a split king, but my wife wanted a regular king. That is my only regret. The king DreamCloud Premier mattress was $1700 and included a bunch of free stuff like pillows and sheets that we haven't even opened yet. The adjustable bed was around $700 (Classic Brands from Amazon). We spent a lot less on bother mattress and adjustable bed than just the mattresses ($4300-$4800) that were pushed on us at Mattress Firm and Big Sandy.

Also, my sister has our parents old king sleep number/select comfort at her house in Bel Air, MD that she would like to get rid off. If someone is interested I might be able to hook you up. It has been in storage for 8 years or so.

After purchasing in February, we finally had our new sleep number bed delivered and set up last week. So far, it’s been an adjustment, to say the least. We bought one with an adjustable frame with lots of bells and whistles. That part we love. DH is breathing so much better at night just being slightly elevated and my sinuses have improved significantly. Not sure if it’s new mattress or the elevation. No issues with pillows falling behind the bed frame. Overall, this part is great.

But the mattress I’m not sold on yet. The cons—it stinks. Literally. We have the sheets off and the windows open during the day trying to air it out, but there is still a noticeable smell. Much better than when it first arrived, so I’m hopeful it will go away.

The smell will I think go away, but so far, the mattress just isn’t that comfortable. It’s much firmer than what we had before. I thought we would be able to decrease the firmness, but then you really feel the air mattress inside. It’s the same feeling you get from a camping mattress as it adjusts beneath you.

And more annoying, every time we move there’s a plastic rustling sound. I think it’s coming from the sheets interfacing with the mattress itself. But I have no idea why it sounds like plastic instead of fabric.

We ordered a couple of mattress toppers to help cushion the mattress a bit. My hope is that will give it a more plush feel while also giving us the solid support we need. In spite of my negatives, DH is getting much more restful sleep and his back feels much better. I think when I’m actually able to get a decent nights sleep and not be distracted by all the rustling and the too firm feeling I’ll feel the same way.

What’s interesting is that I remember the mattress in the store as being very soft. When I looked at our original sales quote, the salesperson had added a topper in the quote, which I removed. Now I’m wondering if the bed we slept on in store had a topper on it.

Last edited:
The good news is we seem to be happy with our choice, the bad news is I can't add anything useful about the actual return process back to Costco (but I assume if I could manage to get it a few miles strapped to the SUV, that they'd accept it).

-ERD50

I just returned a 2 year old Sealy Posturepedic to Costco due to sagging. They came and picked it up!

Ronstar: The only thing I can add here is I've add several cheaper $600 memory foam mattresses over the years that were "fine", thinking they were very similar to a Tempur-Pedic. . I just got a $1700 Tempur-Pedic. They are NOT the same :) The first time I got on it I thought "Oh my, this is...waaaay different." One month in and my wife and I agree it's the best mattress (for us) that we've ever owned. Good luck with the search!

Back
Top Bottom