Meditation, Yoga?

I regularly do the yoga flexibility excercises. It really helps keep the joints lubricated.
Practice asanas on and off and meditation very seldom due to the hectic work life but am making changes in daily work schedule to add breathing excercises and meditation to bring the stress level down.

Recommend all beginners should learn the basics of yoga asanas from an experienced teacher to get the most benefit...just mho.

I've been doing weekly yoga classes for most of the last 13 years - it's a lunchtime class at the office where I used to w*rk. I quit when I ER'd but asked a few months later if I could come back, and now another ER'd friend also joined the class.

I second all of the advice that if you are new to yoga and can find an instructor, take a few classes before trying it on your own. I still remember how it took me a couple of months to get the right position for downward dog with the instructor helping me.

Also any good instructor will tell you to listen to your body and not do poses that cause pain, and they should be able to help you modify any pose to accommodate your particular physical condition. If not, find another instructor.

I second all of the advice that if you are new to yoga and can find an instructor, take a few classes before trying it on your own. I still remember how it took me a couple of months to get the right position for downward dog with the instructor helping me.

Also any good instructor will tell you to listen to your body and not do poses that cause pain, and they should be able to help you modify any pose to accommodate your particular physical condition. If not, find another instructor.

I went to my first, in 10 years, Yoga class yesterday. I have a painful shoulder from an injury, some chronic low back issues, and am generally as un-limber as one can be. The instructor was great, patient, and gave me some good advice - which included using those Yoga blocks to make some of the poses a lot easier. I'm definitely going to continue with this.

I go to an over 50 yoga class at a Senior Center (gasp) and I'm only 63. The last 15 minutes are a relaxing meditation.

I've been meditating on and off since 1976. It got me through medical school and residency. My meditation room was turned back into a bedroom a couple of weeks ago for purposes of selling my house so I miss it.

I spent many years doing qigong. It is easier to remember the moves than tai chi and easier on the joints/muscles than both tai chi and yoga. I still practice a little daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have been to yoga classes and have many books and DVDs. Personally I didn't get much from the classes. Most of the poses are not rocket science. I think I can tailor the poses better to my particular alignment and pain issues myself than with a one size fits all group class.

I go to a mixed class of yoga students, and I am the oldest(65) among the male students. There's a few women older women but they have been doing it for years.
At first I felt lost and frustrated, seeing all the young women in their 20's doing all these poses. After reading a book on yoga, I realized that I do not have to be like them and just do whatever I can do. Even people with disability can have personalized techniques to do it.
I do it 2X a week down from almost daily. I think Yoga is not mystical and not a complete answer to all exercise needs. In my case, the core part is aerobics, on ellipticals and walking on treadmills. Yoga help with flexibility, mobility,
and stretching.

O2, the weekend retreats sound interesting to me, as someone who'd like to have a meditation practice, but have only done it a handful of times, though I've read a ton of books about it.
Any resources for choosing something like that, suitable for beginners? I was thinking that it might give me the push I need to make the commitment to doing it more often.

I suppose that most retreats are done with Buddhist groups, as are the ones I've done, so you might look for a Buddhist center in your area. Such retreats typically come with a dose of rituals, such as chanting and bowing, of course.

Another option might be meditation classes at a local community college or community center.

Either way, sitting with a group is good, especially when you're starting out, because it keeps you on the cushion for longer that you might otherwise stay. That's best way to arouse commitment, to meditate with a correct form for long enough to get an inspiring result. Sitting with a group can help you reach that point.

I'm retired. I have 24 hours per day to meditate. The trouble is getting 2 grandkids to leave me alone long enough to get my wits.

My wife got into yoga and hot water aerobics at our local YMCA for therapy for a bad back. It was the best thing she ever did for her health--other than losing 20 pounds.

I suppose that most retreats are done with Buddhist groups, as are the ones I've done, so you might look for a Buddhist center in your area. Such retreats typically come with a dose of rituals, such as chanting and bowing, of course.

Another option might be meditation classes at a local community college or community center.

Either way, sitting with a group is good, especially when you're starting out, because it keeps you on the cushion for longer that you might otherwise stay. That's best way to arouse commitment, to meditate with a correct form for long enough to get an inspiring result. Sitting with a group can help you reach that point.

Thanks, O2. I've been looking around at some places that offer retreats, and there is a Tibetan center in our town, that offers classes that my husband attended a few times a few years ago. Our roommate is sometime practitioner as well, but I feel awkward thinking about trying meditation with others present. Weird, I know.
We didn't get to go up to Shambala when we traveled in Colorado last year (roads were iffy, early summer) and I'd love to go to a retreat out there for a long weekend. That way no one would know me and I'd feel less awkward.

Our roommate is sometime practitioner as well, but I feel awkward thinking about trying meditation with others present. Weird, I know.

Oh yes, I know what you mean! The senior students I know all say the same thing about this: Everyone else has their own sh*t to deal with, so they're not dwelling on you. If they are, then they're doing the practice wrong.

Also, when you make a mistake or do something embarrassing, say you break the dead-silence of the meditation hall with a fart, you have to just let it go and move on. That's very good practice!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom