Mini stroke - TIA anyone?

chris2008

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Last weekend DH probably had a mini stroke (TIA).
Fortunately it all happened in front of a fire station and he was in a stroke unit asap.
At first he was almost paralysed on the left side, but all symptoms went away within 90 minutes.
So far no reasons could be found. He has none of the risk factors, other than some uncles and aunts had strokes - in their 80s.
He is still in hospital for complete check up.

Is anyone familiar with that?
If so, are you under medication like macromar / aspirin?
Wikipedia says that there is some risk for having a bigger stroke within the year after a TIA - how are you adapting to this (new) risk in your life?

Chris, sorry to hear about your husband's TIA, but fortunate that help was nearby.

I'm sure you have learned all this by now, but current thinking really favors getting evaluated in the first hour, much like a heart attack. These can be caused by narrowing of the carotids, bits of clot breaking loose from the heart or aorta, atrial fibrillation causing sluggish blood flow in the upper chambers of the heart, and even migraine with spasm of the blood vessels. Treatment depends on the cause, but often involves good old aspirin, sometimes warfarin and, infrequently, surgery. Definitely not a doc-in-a-box situation ;).

It's good that the symptoms resolved quickly and I wish you and him all the best.

Rich

Me too Chris. Hope it goes really well. My Doctor had this years ago, and has been fine ever since.

And Rich- you are a real asset to this board, and a super nice guy to boot. I hope you won't tire of us. :)

Ha

Thanks to you both. It all happened 500 miles away from home on a weekend trip. It was not a good feeling to leave him there in the hospital but I was more help here than there.
I hope to pick him up at the end of the week.

My mother had a couple mini-strokes - then within a year she had a major hemorragic stroke. Fortunately she did a 95% recovery.

You are doing the right thing in taking this very seriously. Mom's was 5 years ago - so I can't remember anything about preventative possibilities after mini-stroke. Do remember the doctor saying "exercise, exercise, and exercise" are the 3 best preventative measures for strokes.

I hate the term "mini-stroke" - because of the name, I think some people think these things can be ignored.

Good luck to you. I'm not trying to scare or sensationalize.

Delawaredave said:
My mother had a couple mini-strokes - then within a year she had a major hemorragic stroke. Fortunately she did a 95% recovery.

Yes, this is complicated and serious stuff. Ironically, sometimes the hemorrhagic stroke is caused by the treatment of a prior non-hemorrhagic TIA (for example, one caused by blood clots). The initial treatment decision is a calculated risk, carefully discussed, understood, and accepted by the patient. Fortunately the vast majority do well.

Chris,

I had a TIA three years ago. They put me in the stroke unit and ran a bunch of tests but fortunately there was no permanent damage.

One week after I got out of the hospital they took Vioxx off the market due to increased risk of heart attacks and strokes. This got my attention as I had been taking Vioxx for over three years for arthritis pain.

2soon

Chris,

I forgot to mention that I had exercised regularly and taken low dose aspirin for several years before the TIA, otherwise my outcome might have been much more severe. My neurologist wants me to continue taking the blood thinner Plavix as a precaution due to the TIA and my family history.

Good luck to your husband and his recovery.

2soon

I had a TIA about 14 years ago. Probably due to migraine, but no one is certain. It was over in about a minute (and well before I got to the hospital). It's pretty scary because I remember my arm flopping around without any control from me and also trying to speak but only slurring coming out. We had to wait for the on-call neurologist to show up. Based on his breath, his alcohol content meant he was driving drunk to the hospital.

Never had another episode since.

Thanks for all your replies and good wishes!
It seems to have been a severe case of migraine without headache, at least that was the final conclusion of all the doctors he has seen.
They are quite sure that it was not a TIA.
I take this as good news - but if it ever returns I will get him asap to the next stroke unit again.

And it happened again, last weekend.
Again while on a short trip, far from home.

Yesterday he had a MRI done and some very small spots were visible. The neurologist will tell us this afternoon what it means for future life.
We are planning our first post-retirement trip, to Namibia.
Not a place where I would like to be in case of another TIA or stroke.
I am scared.

Sorry to hear this Chris, I hope the tests give positive news. I would also be very nervous going on a long trip in the current circumstances.

Is he on blood thinners? Rich mentioned atrial fibrillation. I have paroxysmal AF, which means I am in sinus rhythm most of the time, with infrequent bouts of AF. Even though I am currently in sinus rhythm, my cardiologist is keeping me on warfarin as a precaution to reduce the possibility of stroke. According to him, the most risky time for a stroke is when one goes from AF back into sinus rhythm, since the heartbeats become stronger and can pump blood clots that may have been formed while in AF to the brain.

My best to you and him.

Thanks for your replies and good wishes.
He is not yet on blood thinners. After the first event the experts advised not to take.
This might change now.

My Mom had several. She was put on blood thinners. In her case it did not seriously impact her quality of life.

Best wishes for you and spouse.

MRG

The neurologist said that there are some indicators that it was a TIA but others are not typical. The spots on the MRI are so small that they are almost non-existent.

He said that DH could take aspirin as blood thinner if he feels more comfortable than without. He saw no reason not to travel, even to remote areas.

So we decided to turn off the scaring mode and enjoy ER to the fullest.
As a dear great aunt told me (before dementia and Alzheimer's came into public focus): "Your memories are the only thing that cannot be taken away from you".
DH left school last month and I reduced work to 3 days and will ER in September.

Thanks so much to you all. It was really helpful to read about your experiences.

That's great news. Enjoy your upcoming adventure.

Hi, sorry to butt in and not even sure if this is relevant

I had a TIA at 39 ( literally just turned 41 ... well 31 minutes ago :) ) and the research I did suggested taking the asprin at night before bedtime with a large glass of water, I can't fully remember why ( cognitive function not being as good as it was pre TIA) but I think it was something to do with more heart attacks and strokes happen through the night, so the water reduces the potassium levels and the asprin thins the blood when it's most needed

Please do your own research obviously ... But this was one of the many things I learned

All the best

Last edited:
Happy birthday, Elathan!

Thank you for taking the time to let me have your recommendation.
DH decided to try taking the Aspirin during our trip. 5 more weeks till take off...

And another TIA today.
Fortunately at home. I called the ambulance and he went to a stroke unit. All symptoms went away within 4 hours.
I guess now he will take a blood thinner. So far half of the Drs he had advised to take and the other half not to take.
Any TIA news from other participants?
I hope you all are still ok.

Good that the TIA has passed. :)

I wasn't on the original thread, but have had the TIA experience with my DW some 23 years ago. I'll defer to Rich on the thoughts and recommendations posted here in 2013. Sounded very knowledgeable.

I would go back to our own situation, to try and explain my thoughts on the subject. i think the term "transient" ischemic attack can be misleading, as it sounds as if it's something that comes and goes.

First off, we, at our age, we have a number of friends who have suffered from this, always recovering, and hoping it won't happen again. I'm a little more reluctant to leave it like that, and more inclined to want to know the specific reason for the attack.

In our case, it happened when she was line dancing, and suddenly had trouble speaking. We were in FL at the time, and went to the localhospital, where they diagnosed it as a TIA... It so happened that the chief surgeon for the greater Tampa area was in the hospital at the time, and was called in to the ER... He immediately ordered a CT or MRA scan and found a blockage in the carotid artery, below the jawline, on the neck. Other than this immediate diagnosis, we probably would have lost her. Quickly into the OR where the Dr. performed a very difficult surgery... opening up the carotid artery and delicately extracting a clot.. a four inch incision. Afterwards, he came in to see us, and showed a picture of the clot. The major part of the clot was on the way up to the brain, which might have been the end. Instead, the tail end of the clot, was still stuck to the wall of the artery, and was able to be removed. The Dr. kept a picture of the clot he removed, to show at his lectures, as an example of difficult surgery. We were forever grateful, an no recurrence since that scary day.

My reason for posting, is to highlight the concept of diagnosing the cause, if possible, and not to dismiss the attacks as something that just comes and goes. While this is not always possible, my thinking is that if the attack is in progress, rather than just treating it as being transitory, to attempt a diagnosis. In our case, it was definitely the difference between life and death.

Here's a link to Mayo, that presents the different means of diagnosis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/transient-ischemic-attack/diagnosis-treatment/diagnosis/dxc-20314631

I am not a doctor, and this experience may not be pertinent to other cases, but thought to pass it along, as a case where we dodged the bullet.

As to anti clotting drugs... A subject all by itself, and an exercise in understanding the different approaches that are in the process of developing the best drugs. Definitely not cut and dried, and not a simple process for the patient. Warfarin is probably most prescribed, but requires considerable follow up and testing. I have AFIB, and have been prescribed Xarelto, which doesn't require as much follow up testing, but which present its' own downsides, not the least of which is cost. Learning about the pluses and minuses is a major study in itself.

Just a personal experience and not intended to give medical advice.:flowers:

Last edited:
Quickly into the OR where the Dr. performed a very difficult surgery... opening up the carotid artery and delicately extracting a clot.. a four inch incision. Afterwards, he came in to see us, and showed a picture of the clot. The major part of the clot was on the way up to the brain, which might have been the end. Instead, the tail end of the clot, was still stuck to the wall of the artery, and was able to be removed. The Dr. kept a picture of the clot he removed, to show at his lectures, as an example of difficult surgery. We were forever grateful, an no recurrence since that scary day.
It is always good to be lucky. Congratulations.

(I have always said it is more important to be lucky than right!)

First of all, it is absolutely irrelevant what anyone tells you on a board like this. You need to work with your doctors to get the right answer for your husband. If the ones you've got are resistant to your respectful involvement then get new doctors.

That said, I had a right vertebral dissection, which caused a series of strokes twenty years ago. In my particular case, my vision and balance was affected. This occurred as a consequence of a skiing accident.

In my case, no surgery was necessary (surgery in the neck is tricky stuff). I was initially on Coumadin, which lasted for approximately 3 years. Since then I have taken an adult aspirin a day. No recurring event. Always loved how the neurologist referred to stroke as an "event". Based upon my research at the time (20 years ago) I learned that in 10% of the cases involving strokes there is 100% recovery, with no lingering side effects. Thankfully, I fell into that category.

Thank you all for your input.
He will come home tomorrow.
The MRI and all other investigations showed no issues so far.
Sometimes xxx just happens.
Best wishes to you all.

Back
Top Bottom