Museums, great and small

While it's fairly new and nowhere near as expansive as the ones on the list, The Broad in Los Angeles has an impressive collection... https://www.thebroad.org

Tickets to the main collection are free and the waiting list is weeks long. The trick is to buy tickets to one of the special exhibits and admission to the general museum is included with the ticket.

A couple of interesting small museums in the fly over states not yet mentioned are the Auburn Cord Deusenburg museum in Auburn Indiana and the First Division museum (military) at Cantigny in Winfield IL.

Kiev is a beautiful city and if you are there one should also go to the Great Patriotic War Museum. The one in Moscow is spectacular as well. No one does WW2 museums quite like the Russians.

I went to the one in Moscow from a river cruise. The downside, of course, of cruises is that if you are taken someplace you really like and want to spend more time you can't. This is a place I could have easily spent the whole day.

And you are right about the Russians and WW2. Although I knew what a big role they had played, I never really understood the profound impact the Great Patriotic War had on their history, their sense of what it is to be Russian.

We were walking in Lisbon a few years ago and came across a museum for state carriages (horse drawn). We almost did not go in.

But we did and we were so glad that we did. It was not big but it was very interesting. Enjoyed our time as much as we have in other more traditional museums.

The other was the British Museum. So far we have only done Eqypt and timepieces/clocks. We could spend several weeks in that place.

DD and I went to a quirky museum in Amsterdam when we couldn't get into the Anne Frank house--Museum of Bags and Purses!

We walked by it.

An "off the beaten track" museum in Amsterdam that I found extremely interesting is the Resistance Museum. It tells the story of the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation during WW2. Doesn't belong on a list of the greatest in the world but I really enjoyed it.

Went to MoMA yesterday, Metropolitan (5th Ave) today. Great walk through Central Park but my feets are tired.

Fantastic museums, but I agree they're best taken in smaller doses.

If you see any sidewalk vendors with little paper bags of roasted chestnuts, do not pass them up. Might be just a bit early in the season, but you could see them if you're in that part of the city. One of my favorite NYC treats.

We walked by it.

An "off the beaten track" museum in Amsterdam that I found extremely interesting is the Resistance Museum. It tells the story of the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation during WW2. Doesn't belong on a list of the greatest in the world but I really enjoyed it.

We enjoyed it too. We were planning on an hour. We spent 3.

Great list. Of those on the list I have been to the Vatican Museum and it is pretty phenomenal.

As mentioned, I think the biggest "miss" is the British Museum - a major bucket list place for me (next to the American Museum of Natural History in NYC).

As a Chicagoan, I totally agree the Museum of Science and Industry is a must see -- along with the Field Museum, the Art Institute, and the Adler Planetarium.

Here is the U505 being moved to its new digs at the Museum of Science and Industry in 2004.
csm_U505_U505_Move0785_dd0bc51748.jpg

I found the World Erotic Art Museum in Miami Beach to be quite entertaining, although you have to like that sort of stuff. it's pretty graphic.

Larry

On a recent trip, we visited the Vatican, Louvre, and Orsay. Wasn’t going to Rome or Paris without seeing them. But never again!

Would like to revisit the Museum of Science and Industry and the Smithsonian. Have been to both, 45 years or more ago...

Recently in Ireland and really enjoyed the Country Living Museum in Westport and Dublina in Dublin. Also enjoyed the museum in Scotland with the millenium clock--what a work of art!

Back
Top Bottom