Netflix "Instant to your TV"

I have a Mac Mini as part of my entertainment center with several USB HD tuners plugged in for recording.

Since Netflix released the instant watch software for the Mac we have watched a few shows and it generally works well. I have ran into a few movies where the audio and the video are out of sync by several seconds which makes the movie unwatchable. Coming back days later the movie is still out of sync so I assume it is a problem at the source.

Jeb

I have ran into a few movies where the audio and the video are out of sync by several seconds which makes the movie unwatchable. Coming back days later the movie is still out of sync so I assume it is a problem at the source.

You sure those aren't just old dubbed kung-fu movies?

You sure those aren't just old dubbed kung-fu movies?

Nope, no dubbed movies. I was trying to watch some movies that were going off of Instant Watch the end of the year. The only one still available, if you want to try, is Tootsie. I just checked it and it is still out of sync. This is the 4th time I have tried it over the last month or so. I have watched movies that are in sync so I don't think it is a system problem.

Jeb

Grave digging this old thread.

A couple of weeks ago, I got myself a Samsung Blu-Ray player that also does the streaming Netflix thing. For the most part, it has been great! We just finished watching all 29 episodes of Jericho, which was a very good show. However, 3-4 of the episodes had the sound get disconnected from the pictures. Sometimes it would be a good 3 seconds or more off. Reminded us of Singin' in the rain (No, no, no! ... Yes, yes, yes!). Jeb, still having that problem?

Overall, the streaming thing is really cool. We've got 30 or so items in the Instant Queue, so it'll take us quite a while to get through that list.

I actually have two Netflix accounts - one for us, one for the kids. When the kids have friends over, they can watch the instant movies in the family room using Xbox live, and we watch a movie in the living room using the Roku. They both go to big screen HD TVs. It works great!

I actually like the fact that you have to pick the movies out on the PC first because that way I can check the ratings for the movies the kids watch before I put anything in the instant queue.

The instant movies even include things like yoga and exercise videos.

The Netflix instant movie selection isn't nearly as wide as their mail out DVD selection, but they do rotate in some newer movies regularly and I have found many really good, slightly older movies I never saw the first time around.

Roku Update

Thought I'd update after a couple of months with Roku. We eliminated the comcast HD, reduced the subscription to a "basic digital" package not listed on their website and rescanned the plasma for local HD signals. The result - we are watching fewer netflix dvds, still get most of comcast digital programming (no hd or premium), get broadcast HD OTA - but spend most of our (limited) TV time watching netflix "instant to tv" or comedy channel.

Roku programming is still a bit thin but well worth the cost. In fact, it's already paid for :LOL::LOL::LOL: Highly recommended.

I need to get a DVD player, I'm POed at Mediacom, and I'm thinking about Netflix. I was thinking about getting a Samsung Blu Ray player that could stream Netflix. So I thought I would ask here.

Kronk, if you don't mind me asking, which model did you get? The Netflix site gives 4 models (1600, 2500, 3600, and 4600), but when I follow the link to the Samsung site for more info I get a page not found error. Also, has the out-of-sync issue been resolved?

I don't need the hottest and newest, so I'm thinking of the P1600. If anybody has any info or advice on these things, I'd appreciate it. Since I already need the DVD player, and wouldn't mind the Blu Ray, I don't see a need to get an extra box (Roku). But I've got an open (and often empty) mind. Thanks.

harley,

I'm seriously considering the Samsung 1590 myself after a great deal of shopping. (This seems to basically be the Sam's wholesale version of the 1600.) Sam's has it for around $220 including an HDMI cable; and, these players seem to get very good reviews. But, they require a proprietary Samsung wireless network adapter (part #WIS09ABGN) which seems to run about $75 if you don't want to string CAT5 cable across your house.

All,

Can anyone talk me out of this kind of foolish waste of money before I pull the trigger?

Can anyone talk me out of this kind of foolish waste of money before I pull the trigger?

Take a deep breath. Do a little gardening and enjoy the flowers and chirping of birds for a few hours. Then shower, change, and go out to dinner at a favorite restaurant.

That may not help but at least you won't be shopping! :2funny:

My wife started watching the Netflix instant viewing stuff on her laptop. With headphones on, and that super-clear screen so close, she says she feels much more "immersed" in the movie than watching a screen across the room.

No added expenditure.

-ERD50

harley,

I'm seriously considering the Samsung 1590 myself after a great deal of shopping. (This seems to basically be the Sam's wholesale version of the 1600.) Sam's has it for around $220 including an HDMI cable; and, these players seem to get very good reviews. But, they require a proprietary Samsung wireless network adapter (part #WIS09ABGN) which seems to run about $75 if you don't want to string CAT5 cable across your house.

All,

Excellent, thanks. Of course, I let my Sam's Club account expire when they built a BJs nearby. I'll have to see if they have a version. I've also got the advantage of having run cat5e to all the rooms in my house when we built it. In my case I need a DVD player anyway, but far be it from me to enable anyone else's materialistic impulses. :flowers:

My wife started watching the Netflix instant viewing stuff on her laptop. With headphones on, and that super-clear screen so close, she says she feels much more "immersed" in the movie than watching a screen across the room.

No added expenditure.

-ERD50

Is the Silverlight client working OK for you? I heard a lot of bad things about it 6 months or so ago. Have the got it cleaned up now?

This is what I get for not reading the forum more often.

We do have the 1600. Works like a charm ... almost. Twice, the remote stopped working and we had to unplug it for a bit before it reset. It also doesn't seem to always remember where you stopped a DVD if you turn the unit off -- that might just be with Blu-Ray discs, though. The manual controls on the front panel are also a bit irksome, since they aren't raised buttons.

Other than those minor annoyances, it is good. I've watched a number of movies on it, and haven't had any additional issues with the sound. Shawkshank Redemption was definitely the best movie I watched on it. Oh, and I enjoyed watching Harper's Island series (13 episode TV series) on it as well. My list of instant Netflix movies is running a bit bare now. They do change up what is available, but the selection is still not great. Some of their movies are letterbox rather than widescreen.

Might sound like a negative review, but it isn't. I'm really glad we got it, and it has been worth it.

Is the Silverlight client working OK for you? I heard a lot of bad things about it 6 months or so ago. Have the got it cleaned up now?

No problems on two different computers here. Those are intel Macs, the other computers are old PPC, and they did not release a version for those - probably too slow anyway.

IIRC, it directs you to the download, and away we went. No issues at all. I need to check if they have a Linux version yet.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom