New internet & t.v. Service

... I'm hoping the installer can get me going or hopefully I can hire someone to make that happen..
I think you'd be wise to find someone locally for a couple of reasons: First, IMO networks are relatively inexpensive to overdesign, but if they are underdesigned any needed upgrades are expensive. And even if your TV demands don't change, web sites are on a one-way trajectory towards larger and larger amounts of data. This puts increasing demands on both browsers and networks.

Second, you will probably need a little help from time to time with a crashed computer, a network problem, or a virus. It's probably bBetter to have someone "on deck" that you know and trust than to have to go looking when things get a little desperate. While you're at it, have that person show you how to use cell phone hotspots, preparing for the inevitable day that your home wifi or your ISP goes down.

I think you'd be wise to find someone locally for a couple of reasons: First, IMO networks are relatively inexpensive to overdesign, but if they are underdesigned any needed upgrades are expensive. And even if your TV demands don't change, web sites are on a one-way trajectory towards larger and larger amounts of data. This puts increasing demands on both browsers and networks.

Second, you will probably need a little help from time to time with a crashed computer, a network problem, or a virus. It's probably bBetter to have someone "on deck" that you know and trust than to have to go looking when things get a little desperate. While you're at it, have that person show you how to use cell phone hotspots, preparing for the inevitable day that your home wifi or your ISP goes down.

I think so..

So will I be able to watch live local channels on my t.v. or not? I wil subscribe to AT&T T.V. which is my provider

Run wires for an antenna to each room so you can get OTA channels for free. We do YouTube TV for streaming and each TV has its own HD antenna. A whole house antenna would be very convenient.

Can't I just put the modem in the attic and connect every room to the modem?

My attic is kept at moderate temperature because my house is foam insulated.

Will you have convenient access to the modem if you put it in the attic and you need to reboot it? In both of our homes the modem is easily accessible. In fact, in our Florida condo it happens to be on an outlet that is controlled by a wall switch so to reboot I just flick the switch off, wait 10 seconds and then turn it on.

Given that wi-fi is so good these days IMO there is no need for wiring to each room. You probably won't use it anyway.

Can someone tell me how You T.V. works? Would I need a firestick for each t.v.? If my modem is in my detached garage would I be able to watch t.v. at the opposite end of the house?
Would I have to operate it from my computer?

Can someone tell me how You T.V. works? Would I need a firestick for each t.v.? If my modem is in my detached garage would I be able to watch t.v. at the opposite end of the house?
Would I have to operate it from my computer?

Do you mean YouTube TV?

YouTube TV is an app. You can either run it directly on a smart TV that has apps built in, or you can run it on some other device that plugs into an HDMI port on your TV. That device could be a Firestick, Roku, Chromecast, XBox, etc. You can use your computer for some things, but mostly you use the remote control that comes with the TV or Firestick or whatever when you're actually watching TV.

The device running the YouTube TV App needs to connect to the Internet. A Firestick uses WiFi to connect to the Internet, so you need to have an access point close enough for it to get a good signal. If your modem is providing your WiFi network, then whether or not this will work depends on how far your detached garage is from your TV and what kind of walls are in between.

First - a caveat - I didn't read 100% of the previous posts.

I worked developing settop boxes for cable and telco companies for a few decades... so I know a bit about this.

Where the fiber or coax comes into your house it needs to be split to serve two masters.... Internet and video.

One side of the split goes to your modem. Your modem will need a power supply.

Your modem converts the coax into ethernet and wifi. If you need a more ethernet connections than you have on the modem you can split extra signals with an ethernet port splitter. This device will also need a power source.

You can have a seperate broadband modem from your main router/wifi router. The first connection after the split is to the broadband modem - from there it feeds the household router.

For video signal you need coax to your settop boxes or dvrs. Or you'll need firesticks, chromecasts, roku's etc. Assume you need coax - the other side of the splitter mentioned above goes to an ACTIVE splitter that has enough coax taps to feed your tvs. Unless you only need 1 or 2 (then you can use a passive coax splitter.) The active coax splitter will need a power source.

Our setup is in a soffet (access through a grill panel.) It has coax going up to the attic, then down to the various points we need ethernet and coax cable. It has a power strip. It is easy to powercycle the whole thing if we're not sure if our issue is the cable modem or the main router... (Our cable operator is less than perfect). I like having the main router seperate from the broadband modem because they can be replaced separately. I've chosen to purchase my surfboard cable modem to save $10/month rent. My wifi /ethernet router can be replaced seperate from the cable modem, as speeds and technology improve.

As mentioned by a previous poster the WAP wifi extenders are a good way to have wifi throughout the house. They also need a power source - but often can just plug into a wall socket.

So will I be able to watch live local channels on my t.v. or not? I wil subscribe to AT&T T.V. which is my provider

We have YouTube TV (YTTV) and it has all our local stations. If I travel and watch it on a tablet or my phone, it updates to the local stations in that area. YTTV also has unlimited cloud DVR. The monthly cost is $50. Our total comes to $56 with taxes. Well worth it.

We watch other local over the air (OTA) channels with an HD antenna. Lots of old shows. Perry Mason was one of my favorites as a kid. Never watched MASH when it was on but enjoying it now.

Back
Top Bottom