New Jeopardy Host Named

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he wanted it desperately but he was found to be a poor fit in terms of demeanor.

I'm sorry to hear that. I enjoyed the week Ken Jennings hosted and thought he was a natural.

Last edited:
Mike Richards has stepped down as the new host.

The saga continues!

This doesn't bother me. I don't think he was a great choice in the first place. This would be a GREAT time to go ahead and announce Mayim Bialik as the permanent FULL TIME host.

I'm a toss up for Aaron Rodgers or Levar Burton.

The thing about Burton is younger viewers. A lot of under 40's grew up watching his Reading Rainbow series on PBS, so it ties in with learning, and might help bring in a new viewers, so if I was a producer, that's where the money is.

Just finished watching some of the Jennings episodes on DVR. What my wife and I noticed is that they rarely showed him on screen during the actually playing of the round. I assume that might imply a lot of post-editing, rereading questions, etc. Pay attention to that stuff, like how often is the host in the shot, even the contestant interviews at intermission.

FYI, my wife was an actual Jeopardy contestant about 5 years ago. We have watched a lot of the shows over the years.

I'm a toss up for Aaron Rodgers or Levar Burton.

The thing about Burton is younger viewers. A lot of under 40's grew up watching his Reading Rainbow series on PBS, so it ties in with learning, and might help bring in a new viewers, so if I was a producer, that's where the money is.

I think Levar is also a good choice but I can't help but think that Mayim Bialik would bring in more viewers. I think a lot of people who watched "Big Bang Theory" would tune in.

I think Levar is also a good choice but I can't help but think that Mayim Bialik would bring in more viewers. I think a lot of people who watched "Big Bang Theory" would tune in.
Sounds like the reason Mayim Bialik is only doing special episodes is because she has other commitments that won't allow her to host full-time. I thought she did an excellent job, was completely engaged with the contestants, and really was interested in how they answered the solution, sharing her knowledge of the subject.

- Rita

Sounds like the reason Mayim Bialik is only doing special episodes is because she has other commitments that won't allow her to host full-time. I thought she did an excellent job, was completely engaged with the contestants, and really was interested in how they answered the solution, sharing her knowledge of the subject.

- Rita

That would make sense. Doing the show full time would probably pigeon hole her for a long time.

This doesn't bother me. I don't think he was a great choice in the first place. This would be a GREAT time to go ahead and announce Mayim Bialik as the permanent FULL TIME host.

I assume they could just void her current contract and offer her the main show contract if she wants to do it full time. She is the best choice IMO.

Mayim Bialek may have been a good choice, but she has issues that have surfaced that would not be PC for a show such as Jeopardy.

Just finished watching some of the Jennings episodes on DVR. What my wife and I noticed is that they rarely showed him on screen during the actually playing of the round. I assume that might imply a lot of post-editing, rereading questions, etc. Pay attention to that stuff, like how often is the host in the shot, even the contestant interviews at intermission.

FYI, my wife was an actual Jeopardy contestant about 5 years ago. We have watched a lot of the shows over the years.

wow..neat! how'd she do? what was the selection process like up to and including the taping?

wow..neat! how'd she do? what was the selection process like up to and including the taping?

She lost on Jeopardy!

She did have a blast and loved the whole experience. It took sort of 3 years to get onto the show from when I convinced her to try.

First attempt: Online test, then invited to an audition near us. Then she was in the contestant pool for 18 months. Never got a call.

After a year or two, I convinced her to try again.
Second attempt: Another online test, another audition, then into the contestant pool again. This time got a call after about a year.

She competed and then you have to keep your mouth shut for about 6 weeks till the episode airs. Our friends/family arranged a viewing party at a restaurant. Hard for the 2 of us to go through all this knowing she lost, but everyone else loved the process, I think they felt like they were sort of participating also and knew a celebrity.

(She was in the lead after the first round, if that matters.)

An interesting thing:
To prepare, others suggest playing the game realistically at home to the show. Keep score, say stuff in the form of a question, do not answer to soon, etc.
So we would compete, we played hundreds of shows like this. Her scoring was accurate (points for correct answers, points off for incorrect, had to wait before saying the answer). My scoring was looser, (no points off for incorrect answers, could blurt out answer at any time, did not have to phrase it like a question, etc).
In all the games we played, I only beat her once. I have that scoresheet framed.

Mayim Bialek may have been a good choice, but she has issues that have surfaced that would not be PC for a show such as Jeopardy.

Yep, she's out of the running for main host given her past behavior.

Bring back Geordi!

He was a little rough but watching his other shows I'm sure he would quickly grow into the role.

I don’t really care but it seemed too self servings for Mike Richards to get the gig. My instant first impression of Buzzy Cohen was not good, but I actually thought he was great after all and I’d root for him. The only one I couldn’t stand was Oz. There were only a few who I assume even wanted a full time gig, e.g. not Rodgers, Guthrie or Anderson among others who already have lucrative gigs.

Last edited:
I think it is sad that something that you said in a moment of stupidity and in jest but also in poor taste almost a decade ago can come back to haunt you today.... there wasn't a brouhaha back when he said it... times have changed and he has probably also changed and would never say what he said today. Sad.

Mike said: "It is humbling to confront a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, thoughtlessness, and insensitivity from nearly a decade ago. Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry."

The new host added: "The podcast was intended to be a series of irreverent conversations between longtime friends who had a history of joking around. Even with the passage of time, it’s more than clear that my attempts to be funny and provocative were not acceptable, and I have removed the episodes."

What's fascinating is how much of a "thing" selecting a new Jeopardy! host is.

It has everything! Narcissism, intrigue, suspense, cancel culture. People's tendencies to want to comment and weigh in publicly about every aspect of US culture is making it very hard. I imagine Alex Trebek probably would be disqualified for something in his past were he under consideration now as the new host.

I never watched the show that much but do enjoy it when I do.

Why not a new show? Just call it "Who wants to host Jeopardy?"

I think it is sad that something that you said in a moment of stupidity and in jest but also in poor taste almost a decade ago can come back to haunt you today.... there wasn't a brouhaha back when he said it... times have changed and he has probably also changed and would never say what he said today. Sad.
DW and I were commenting we’d hate to have to defend every single word we’ve ever said in our lives. We certainly don’t have all the same beliefs now that we held in our 20’s - 40 years ago. Fame and celebrity are a different world, especially these days…

There are other good reasons Richards shouldn’t be the new host, aside from his old remarks. So a good development regardless IMO.

I think there's a bit of a difference between:

"something someone said a almost a decade ago" (or longer, or in their 20's)

and

"Something someone said, quite a few times, as a host of their own recorded program, which they published online and left for all to hear, for years afterwards, and lacked the common sense to take it down 6 years later when they started pursuing a super-high-profile job in front of the whole country, for over a year"

If you want to be the next Alex Trebec, the smart move is to clean up your recent earlier efforts where you were tried to be the next Howard Stern.

I guess that we'll agree to disagree.... I think it was pretty obvious that the comments were in jest... distasteful jest, yes.... disqualifying jest almost a decade later, nah.

I would agree that he probably should have taken them down earlier.

I’m still trying to figure out what Mayim Bialek did to get disqualified from being the new full time host, especially since she had the part time gig already. Is she going to lose her contract too?

Last edited:
Agree that Jennings doesn't have the right vibe. I actually thought Art Fleming was better than Trebek. Remember Art Fleming? And I am very relieved it's not Anderson Cooper, although I don't think he wanted to be host, anyway.

I tend to agree on Art Fleming. It might be too soon but I don't see where Trebek was anything special and at times seemed condescending. It's easy when you have the answers in your hand. He was there a long time, people got used to him, the same will happen with the new host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom