New Monitor Cable Question

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Just got a new monitor. I’m trying to understand my cable options. It’s a 4K monitor with three inputs - HDMI, Display Port and USB-C. I have an HDMI cable with HDMI on both ends. I have a Display Port cable but it has DP on one end and HDMI on the other. I have a USB-C cable but it has USB-A on one end and USB-C on the other (basically just a charging cable).

My computer does output 4K and has all three ports (HDMI, DP and USB-C).

My thought is that in order to get the best resolution I’ll have to either get a cable with DP on both ends or USB-C on both ends and use one of those. If it doesn’t matter, even better since in my current setup I use the HDMI and the DP out and those go to two monitors with HDMI in. So, I’d be all set.

New set up will just be the new monitor. I may plug in the small second monitor, but it’s old and I’d prefer to just have one monitor if it all works out. FWIW, this is DW’s computer (I’m the system admin) and her main function is viewing photographs.

Help with using the right setup output/input connections would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I just went thru this with my new MacBook Pro and new Dell 4k monitor. Luckily, my monitor came with a USB-C to USB-C cable (in addition to an HDMI cable). I use the USB-C one. It fully supports the highest definition that both the monitor and MacBook support. It also supplies the power to my laptop from the monitor. So I only have one cable going into my laptop. I’m very happy with that choice.

... Help with using the right setup output/input connections would be appreciated. ...
An ounce of data trumps a bushel of theory. Try all three and see what you think. You may not see any differences at all.

Edit: My go-to is monoprice.com for good, inexpensive cables.

Well, I just opened the box and there is actually cables included. Who would have thought? Anyway, there's a USB-C and a HDMI cable so I guess I'll try the USB-C cable first.

Well, I just opened the box and there is actually cables included. Who would have thought? Anyway, there's a USB-C and a HDMI cable so I guess I'll try the USB-C cable first.

How old is your computer? If it is more than 3 years old it might not support video over USB-C cable, which is called a Thunderbolt port.

How old is your computer? If it is more than 3 years old it might not support video over USB-C cable, which is called a Thunderbolt port.

it’s pretty new. I don’t think it’s more than two years old. There’s a chance that the C port won’t work but then I’ll get a display port cable. I’m sure the HDMI will work, but in reading now I’m believing that the C and the DP will do better than the HDMI for 4K. My main goal is to match the computer with the monitor at the highest possible resolution and see what that looks like. No sense in paying for it and not using it. Even if I can’t really see a difference. DW has to clear off her desk so this is a tomorrow project.

It's funny how a decades old technology coaxial cable is good enough all the way from the original source to your cable box or dvr, but for the next 3 feet you need something different :LOL:

It's funny how a decades old technology coaxial cable is good enough all the way from the original source to your cable box or dvr, but for the next 3 feet you need something different :LOL:
Yes and sad, really, that a huge number of hucksters have convinced a segment of the population that they must use magical cables that only the hucksters can create.

it’s pretty new. I don’t think it’s more than two years old. There’s a chance that the C port won’t work but then I’ll get a display port cable. I’m sure the HDMI will work, but in reading now I’m believing that the C and the DP will do better than the HDMI for 4K. My main goal is to match the computer with the monitor at the highest possible resolution and see what that looks like. No sense in paying for it and not using it. Even if I can’t really see a difference. DW has to clear off her desk so this is a tomorrow project.

So I confirmed with the guys who built my machine that the USB-C is just for data and will not handle video. They also confirmed that the HDMI port will only display 4K at 30Hz. If I want to get up to 60Hz I’ll have to use the Display Port.

I’m not sure it matters for DW’s main use of viewing photographs. She does watch some videos also, but I don’t think any of them were taken at a higher rate than HD. So, I don’t really think the higher Hz will matter there either. I might hook up the Display Port just because and call it a day.

The good news is that DW was very impressed with the monitor. We pulled up a couple pictures a zoomed in and they were just okay. But then we pulled one up that was very well focused and high resolution from her camera (not her phone) and she literally said “wow”. We zoomed in on granddaughter’s face and it was very clear all the way in. I’m happy with that.

Anyway, I’m gonna call this one a success. I got a nice LG 32 inch 4K monitor for under $600 and DW said “wow”. That’s what I wanted.

Thanks for the help.

Yes and sad, really, that a huge number of hucksters have convinced a segment of the population that they must use magical cables that only the hucksters can create.

I know that some speaker cable manufacturers use that myth. HDMI doesn't improve the signal but it is necessary for digital rights management.

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a newer form of digital rights management. Intel created the original technology to make sure that digital content followed the guidelines set by the Digital Content Protection group.

HDMI can use HDCP to encrypt the signal if required by the source device.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Content_protection_(HDCP)

I just went thru this with my new MacBook Pro and new Dell 4k monitor. Luckily, my monitor came with a USB-C to USB-C cable (in addition to an HDMI cable). I use the USB-C one. It fully supports the highest definition that both the monitor and MacBook support. It also supplies the power to my laptop from the monitor. So I only have one cable going into my laptop. I’m very happy with that choice.

This is what I do too. I have a Dell XPS laptop going to a 27 inch Dell 4K monitor.

If I want to take my laptop mobile I just have the one cable to disconnect - no docking station needed. I love the simplicity of this setup.

Cables and monitor resolution

Just like with HDMI cables, there’s no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.2 or 1.4 cable. For DisplayPort 1.2 devices, you’ll need a DisplayPort cable that’s rated for 21.6 Gbps and HBR2 bit rate class.

For DisplayPort 1.4, look for a cable rated for 32.4 Gbps and HBR3 bit rate class. DisplayPort cables are backward-compatible as well. If you need a cable longer than 33ft (15 meters), you’ll need to look for an active cable.

DisplayPort Cable 1.4, iVANKY 8K DP Cable 10ft [8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz, 1080P@240Hz], Support HBR3, 32.4Gbps, HDCP 2.2, HDR
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F5B6BV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable 10 ft [4K@60Hz,1440p@144Hz], Sweguard HDMI 2.0 Cable High Speed 18Gbps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D67DY22/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DisplayPort versions support different resolutions @ 144Hz
Version 1.2 up to 2560 x 1440
Version 1.4 up to 3840 x 2160
Version 2.0 Dual monitor up to 3840 x 2160

The DisplayPort 1.2 can output 1080p and 1440p resolutions at 144Hz

DisplayPort 1.2
This standard allows for up to 21.6Gbps of bandwidth. This means the max supported refresh rate for each display type is:

240Hz at 1080p
144Hz at 1440p
60Hz at 4K

My graphics card has Displayport 1.2 so can run at 144hz

You have to check all of these: PC, graphics card, monitor and cable to determine what screen resolution and refresh rate can be. Make sure your graphics card can handle 4k or even 8k resolution.

My computer motherboard shows in the manual:
The maximum supported resolution is 4096 x 2160 @24Hz or 2560 x 1600 @60Hz, but the actual resolutions supported are dependent on the monitor being used.

I have a separate graphics card that supports higher screen resolutions and it has a HDMI and a Displayport connection as does my monitor.

DisplayPort versions support different resolutions @ 144Hz
Version 1.2 up to 2560 x 1440
Version 1.4 up to 3840 x 2160
Version 2.0 Dual monitor up to 3840 x 2160

The DisplayPort 1.2 can output 1080p and 1440p resolutions at 144Hz, while DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 increased bandwidth to manage up to 240Hz at those same resolutions and up to 120Hz at 4K.

Confusing ain't it? : )

Also if you plug in the wrong cable your computer will be blowed up real good....

Back
Top Bottom