New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Given it's one ear only, could be coincidental or caused onset of Meniere's Disease though you don't mention dizziness.

Curious why the ENT isn't planning on getting Shingrix shots.
Yes, it could be coincidental, but that would be one helluva coincidence. I see absolutely no reason why my hearing loss being in just one ear makes it any more or less likely to be a result of the Shingrix vaccine. My symptoms began within 24 hours of getting the shot, and I have no other known risk factors for hearing loss. The ENT doctor spent 90 minutes with me on my first visit. He spent a great deal of time questioning me about my health background, my family health background, and past exposure to noise. Of course, he asked me about dizziness, and I have had none. After my symptoms began, I read other reports of hearing loss and tinnitus in one ear happening within 24 hours of getting the Shingrix shot. The descriptions were remarkably similar to my experience. It is not helpful to suggest or imply that someone's hearing lost after getting the Shingrix vaccine is a mere coincidence.

I am not attempting to convince anyone to get, or not get the Shingrix vaccine. I am simply describing what I experienced after getting the shot, as others have done in this thread. If I had merely had pain in my arm or flu-like symptoms for 2 to 3 days (among the more common Shingrix side-effects), I would almost certainly get the 2nd Shingrix shot.

I am definitely not an anti-vaxxer. (I'm dismayed at the foolish parents who have chosen to not have their children vaccinated against measles.) I will continue to get an annual flu shot and other required or recommended vaccines. It's still too early to know how things are going to ultimately play out as far as my hearing is concerned. But I may already have some permanent hearing loss as well as permanently suffer from tinnitus in the wake of getting the vaccine. Before I got my 1st Shingrix shot, the odds were that it would overall, be beneficial for me. I have concluded that the risk/reward odds are no longer in my favor as far as the 2nd shot is concerned. I'm not going to play Russian Roulette with my hearing.

Yes, it could be coincidental, but that would be one helluva coincidence. I see absolutely no reason why my hearing loss being in just one ear makes it any more or less likely to be a result of the Shingrix vaccine. My symptoms began within 24 hours of getting the shot, and I have no other known risk factors for hearing loss. The ENT doctor spent 90 minutes with me on my first visit. He spent a great deal of time questioning me about my health background, my family health background, and past exposure to noise. Of course, he asked me about dizziness, and I have had none. After my symptoms began, I read other reports of hearing loss and tinnitus in one ear happening within 24 hours of getting the Shingrix shot. The descriptions were remarkably similar to my experience. It is not helpful to suggest or imply that someone's hearing lost after getting the Shingrix vaccine is a mere coincidence.

I am not attempting to convince anyone to get, or not get the Shingrix vaccine. I am simply describing what I experienced after getting the shot, as others have done in this thread. If I had merely had pain in my arm or flu-like symptoms for 2 to 3 days (among the more common Shingrix side-effects), I would almost certainly get the 2nd Shingrix shot.

I am definitely not an anti-vaxxer. (I'm dismayed at the foolish parents who have chosen to not have their children vaccinated against measles.) I will continue to get an annual flu shot and other required or recommended vaccines. It's still too early to know how things are going to ultimately play out as far as my hearing is concerned. But I may already have some permanent hearing loss as well as permanently suffer from tinnitus in the wake of getting the vaccine. Before I got my 1st Shingrix shot, the odds were that it would overall, be beneficial for me. I have concluded that the risk/reward odds are no longer in my favor as far as the 2nd shot is concerned. I'm not going to play Russian Roulette with my hearing.

Have you talked to your ENT about reporting this issue to the CDC along with date, time and place of your vaccination?

Yes, it could be coincidental, but that would be one helluva coincidence. I see absolutely no reason why my hearing loss being in just one ear makes it any more or less likely to be a result of the Shingrix vaccine.

Think of it this way: millions of people get the vaccine. Of those, thousands were going to exhibit symptoms of many different maladies within 24 anyway, with or without the shot.

Lots of coincidences like the one you experienced are not only possible, they are statistically inevitable.

I am not attempting to convince anyone to get, or not get the Shingrix vaccine. I am simply describing what I experienced after getting the shot, as others have done in this thread.

No, you're being totally level-headed.

But that's not how your story is going to be received. The dozens of people on here who've had no problem with the vaccine, and all those who've mentioned how horrible shingles can be, are going to be discounted because of your one experience.

It's not your fault. It's human nature. It's confirmation bias; believe only what I want to believe, especially when that's the easiest way out.

I had the first shot last week. Just some soreness around the area for a few days. I really think there should be a way for them to guarantee your second shot at the right time, like sell both doses and hold the other for you. I've heard of a few people who couldn't find a second dose in the recommended time, I don't know how much getting it months late will affect it's efficacy.

I really think there should be a way for them to guarantee your second shot at the right time, like sell both doses and hold the other for you.

What a great, common-sense solution. I'm waiting till I get reports of second doses being readily available. I had the ShingRx vaccine a few years ago so I figure I can afford to wait.

Wow. I must say I am now conflicted. DH and I were planning on getting the new Shingrix vaccine as early as this week, assuming we can find a vendor with inventory. I had shingles in my 40's, mildly annoying as I recall. I consulted by GP in my early 60's about getting the Zostorax vaccine and he recommended against it as I had already had shingles and was therefore protected. Three short weeks later, I came down with shingles on my face, and around my eyes, while in a foreign country. I was lucky in that there were no lasting effects, but I did suffer terribly for a week. I had a 7 day migraine that kept me in bed writhing in pain, until the virus finally dissipated. I assume that the meds I took, prevented the attack from causing lasting damage, although I am not certain if this is true. My GP's reaction after hearing this was, well then the immunity you received from having had shingles in your forties clearly wore off earlier than expected. He suggested that I have the shingles shot in my early 80's to prevent a third recurrence. The Shingrix vaccine had not been developed at that point. When I visited the same GP in January, and asked about the Shingrix, he supported my getting the vaccine now, although he was not adamant about it at all.

So after reading about this latest experience by Anethum, I am really torn.

Wow. I must say I am now conflicted. DH and I were planning on getting the new Shingrix vaccine as early as this week, assuming we can find a vendor with inventory. I had shingles in my 40's, mildly annoying as I recall. I consulted by GP in my early 60's about getting the Zostorax vaccine and he recommended against it as I had already had shingles and was therefore protected. Three short weeks later, I came down with shingles on my face, and around my eyes, while in a foreign country. I was lucky in that there were no lasting effects, but I did suffer terribly for a week. I had a 7 day migraine that kept me in bed writhing in pain, until the virus finally dissipated. I assume that the meds I took, prevented the attack from causing lasting damage, although I am not certain if this is true. My GP's reaction after hearing this was, well then the immunity you received from having had shingles in your forties clearly wore off earlier than expected. He suggested that I have the shingles shot in my early 80's to prevent a third recurrence. The Shingrix vaccine had not been developed at that point. When I visited the same GP in January, and asked about the Shingrix, he supported my getting the vaccine now, although he was not adamant about it at all.

So one possible, not confirmed, (highly) negative side affect in millions of doses of a treatment can affect your health care decision? Mind boggling to me.

So one possible, not confirmed, (highly) negative side affect in millions of doses of a treatment can affect your health care decision? Mind boggling to me.

Well it certainly makes me stop and think. That and the fact that my GP has been wary of any shingles vaccine, seeing that I have had shingles twice.

Have you talked to your ENT about reporting this issue to the CDC along with date, time and place of your vaccination?

From the Shingrix.com website...

You are encouraged to report vaccine adverse events to the US Department of Health and Human Services. Visit www.vaers.hhs.gov to file a report, or call 1-800-822-7967.

My M.D. friend suggested that I report it. (Both doctors and patients can report adverse events.) I decided that I would wait until I see the audiologist next week, so I can report whether or not I have any permanent hearing loss. I will also discuss reporting it with my ENT doctor when I see him following the audiometry.

I have been on the CDC VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) website and wanted to search the database myself. However, I did not see the Shingrix vaccine among the long list of "Vaccine Products" to search on.

Guess what, your GP gave you poor advice. In fact for Zostorax it clearly states you can/should have the vaccine, even if you have had shingles.. This is a clear example of not taking on blind faith everything your medical providers tell you. There was no downside to your taking a Zostorax shot and the upside would have been no shingles or hopefully a much lighter case. Get a new GP...

Guess what, your GP gave you poor advice. In fact for Zostorax it clearly states you can/should have the vaccine, even if you have had shingles.. This is a clear example of not taking on blind faith everything your medical providers tell you. There was no downside to your taking a Zostorax shot and the upside would have been no shingles or hopefully a much lighter case. Get a new GP...

This is all info that I have mulled over in my head for years. His concern though did relate to the potential side effects of having the vaccine vs the actual illness. He insisted that my husband, who has not had shingles have the old vaccine. Given I was supposed to have immunity from having had shingles, he felt and still feels that the immunities provided tipped the scale in favor of not have the vaccine. I'm sure that he is not the only physician who would advise the same path.

Having said that I am inclined to have the Shingrix vaccine, as it is supposed to provide a much higher and longer level of immunity than the previous vaccine. On balance we will probably have it.

Oh and by the way, for all of those on a waiting list or waiting for availability of the vaccine but not on a list, I found out this morning, that while CVS pharmacies do not have the vaccine, the Minute Clinics do have the vaccine- At least in my area. Go figure. Minute Clinic is located within some CVS facilities. And they do guarantee that you can get the second vaccine, once you have had the first. It will be reserved for you. Google minuteclinic.com. So we will likely have the vaccine next week, after visiting our GP next week for DH's annual and quizzing him one more time.

Last edited:
This is all info that I have mulled over in my head for years. His concern though did relate to the potential side effects of having the vaccine vs the actual illness. He insisted that my husband, who has not had shingles have the old vaccine. Given I was supposed to have immunity from having had shingles, he felt and still feels that the immunities provided tipped the scale in favor of not have the vaccine. I'm sure that he is not the only physician who would advise the same path.

Having said that I am inclined to have the Shingrix vaccine, as it is supposed to provide a much higher and longer level of immunity than the previous vaccine. On balance we will probably have it.

Oh and by the way, for all of those on a waiting list or waiting for availability of the vaccine but not on a list, I found out this morning, that while CVS pharmacies do not have the vaccine, the Minute Clinics do have the vaccine- At least in my area. Go figure. Minute Clinic is located within some CVS facilities. Google minuteclinic.com. So we will likely have the vaccine next week, after visiting our GP next week for DH's annual and quizzing him one more time.

There are so many unknowns to shingles, IMO this is enough to come down on the side of getting the vaccine. Will you get a mild case or have a severe migraine for over a week? Will you have a small spot of blisters or breakout over half your body and have horrible residual nerve pain?

I have a close friend who got shingles before she had a Z vaccine, got the vaccine, and then over the last 8 years gets Shingles at least one a year. Some of outbreaks are mild and some are more severe. She goes immediately to her doctor to get antivirals so it all documented and diagnosed.Her worse scare was when she got Shingles in her ear canal. .So painful and the DR was very concerned. She obviously has some immune system issues and her doctors are concerned about what might happen with a dose of the new vaccine. Believe me she'd do everything in her power to stop this pattern and feels pretty helpless.

The Zostavax vaccine was still recommended if you had shingles. People do get multiple shingles attacks as you well know so I don't know about any of this "protected" business.

The Zostavax vaccine was still recommended if you had shingles. People do get multiple shingles attacks as you well know so I don't know about any of this "protected" business.

The "protected business" relates to the effect that the illness itself affords the person who contracts it. Vaccines inject a tiny amount of the illness itself in order to innoculate a person. Having had the illness affords the same or greater protection. Or so says medical science. In my case, the protection wore off.

The "protected business" relates to the effect that the illness itself affords the person who contracts it. Vaccines inject a tiny amount of the illness itself in order to innoculate a person. Having had the illness affords the same or greater protection. Or so says medical science. In my case, the protection wore off.

Yes and the big failing of the old vaccines was that the protection gradually decreased and at the 10 year mark is virtually non-existent.

My M.D. friend suggested that I report it. (Both doctors and patients can report adverse events.) I decided that I would wait until I see the audiologist next week, so I can report whether or not I have any permanent hearing loss. I will also discuss reporting it with my ENT doctor when I see him following the audiometry.

I have been on the CDC VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System) website and wanted to search the database myself. However, I did not see the Shingrix vaccine among the long list of "Vaccine Products" to search on.

Terrible that sudden hearing loss has happened to you.

I know of one other person, not from a vaccine, where sudden hearing loss occurred, just randomly happened one day. It's pretty scary and ended up permanent.

Probably why they call it sudden hearing loss, as nobody knows why it happens.

My DH had a bad case of the flu this past winter (even though he had the flu vaccine) and as a side effect of the flu he got sudden hearing loss and tinnitus. It has been 2 months and his hearing has come back and the tinnitus is fading so there is hope that anethem's hearing loss and tinnitus is reversible too. Sudden hearing loss can be caused by many things.

Last edited:
I got the first Shingrix shot a few weeks ago. The pharmacist said he does not give the first one unless he already has the second one to go with it. I had a little soreness for a couple of days on the first one. My hearing and tinnitus are so bad that I probably would not know if it got worse. I'll get the second one in about a month. I certainly hope your hearing recovers. Hearing loss and tinnitus are not fun.

I know of one other person, not from a vaccine, where sudden hearing loss occurred, just randomly happened one day. It's pretty scary and ended up permanent.

Probably why they call it sudden hearing loss, as nobody knows why it happens.

But happen it does. And, through the laws of chance, it's bound to happen within 24 hours of something. If you had chicken the day before, you might blame the chicken. If you had too much to drink the night before, you might blame the drink. And if you had a vaccine the day before...

Well, you get the picture.

Update to hearing loss following Shingrix vaccine

I'm happy to report that my hearing has been fully restored following the hearing loss in one ear that I began to experience the morning after receiving the Shingrix vaccine. The full hearing loss happened 3 days later. My hearing began to return 2 days after starting the course of oral steroid. BTW, I was given the vaccine at about 5:30pm and the symptoms were present the following morning.

After completing the 11 day steroid course, I had a complete audiometry this week conducted by an audiologist, and returned to see the otolaryngologist (ENT) today. The audiometry showed that both ears have excellent and equivalent hearing with only minor age-related hearing loss at high frequencies in each ear. The tinnitus has mostly gone away, but reappears infrequently. The ENT warned me today that this may continue.

I have discussed this with 3 doctors. One, the ENT, believes my hearing loss within hours of receiving the Shingrix vaccine is coincidental. The two others believe it is indeed likely a reaction to the vaccine. One stated that it is too closely linked temporally not to be related, despite what the ENT said.

As I said before, I do not plan on getting the 2nd Shingrix shot. I'll have to be content with whatever protection I have received from my single dose. I won't hesitate to get other vaccines, however.

I've read several interesting factoids about the Shingrix vaccine, and learned a new word, adjuvant. An adjuvant apparently improves a body's immune response, and the Shingrix vaccine uses a new one derived from a tree, Quillaja saponaria, native to Chile. This adjuvant has never been used in a human vaccine before, and this new adjuvant is thought to be an important reason for the apparent efficacy of the Shingrix vaccine.

After seeing shingles, I’d get the second shot - I understand I would be taking a risk, but I would do so vice living in dread of shingles for the rest of my life.

I am recovering from my 2nd bout of shingles. My episode wasn't a problem but my PCP insisted that I come to her office for assessment. My blisters were on my back, along my spine. She was concerned that I protect that as it could surface on my face, even around my eyes. Nothing to brush off for a person in their late 70s. I will get the Shingrx vaccine once this has cleared and the vaccine is available.

For those who don't know me well, I am concerned about the risk of shedded virus. My SIL, who I will see this weekend, is immune suppressed from an organ transplant. Luckily all that is evident today is a pink spot on my back.

I'm happy to report that my hearing has been fully restored following the hearing loss in one ear that I began to experience the morning after receiving the Shingrix vaccine........

After completing the 11 day steroid course, I had a complete audiometry this week conducted by an audiologist, and returned to see the otolaryngologist (ENT) today. The audiometry showed that both ears have excellent and equivalent hearing with only minor age-related hearing loss at high frequencies in each ear. The tinnitus has mostly gone away, but reappears infrequently. The ENT warned me today that this may continue.

That's excellent news, and must be a huge relief to you!!

I hope the tinnitus also clears up completely with time.

I posted earlier that I'd received the 2nd Shingrx shot a couple of weeks ago. Thought I'd report that, aside from a mild soreness for the first 24 hours at the injection site, I experienced no side effects.

Back
Top Bottom