New Shingrx Shingles Vaccine

Great news,anethum...

Interesting thread. I just had my first Medicare visit with my new primary and she Rxd the Shingrix vaccine for me (I'm 65, have never had shingles, but did have chicken pox as a kid). Generally I shy away from these types of vaccines ( I don't get flu shots, nor had I had the pneumonia vaccine, which she also talked me into), but I decided to get the Shingrix.
Her office called it in to Walmart.
Nobody has said anything to me about a waiting list for the vaccine. I guess I'll find out. She called in some other Rx for me to pick up so I'm heading there anyway.

Just called Walmart...i'm on the waiting list. One year. and no Rx is required.

After several months of being on a waiting list to no avail, I started calling around and found a pharmacy with the vaccine.

Got the first shot last Friday afternoon. Saturday was sick all day. Basically felt like the flu without any stomach issues.

Can't wait for the next shot!!!

I called around and found a supermarket pharmacy (Safeway) that had a well run waiting list and what I thought was a fair policy. Now they are my goto for vaccines. My GP has told me that the practice wants to get out of the vaccine business entirely.

FWIW, the Safeway estimated waiting time was 90 days, but I got the shot within a month. It seems that others ahead of me didn't bother to show up. Seven days after the phone call, they go on the next person. I suspect there are a number of people on multiple lists.

I got the first shot (Shingrix) two days ago. The entire day following the shot, my arm was sore and I felt very fatigued. The second day, I'm back to being the energetic curmudgeon that my friends have grown to love.

As soon as I can get it I will. Had shingles several years ago and it was absolute misery. Got the Zostovax shot already...

VAERS data for hearing loss from all vaccines

I reported my hearing loss experience to VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System of the CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the USA) after getting the Shingrix vaccine, and tried again to do a search on the VAERS database. While they neglected to add the relatively new Shingrix vaccine to the pull-down list of 91 other specific vaccines you can individually search on, it turns out that the "adverse events" connected to the Shingrix vaccine are in the database. So if you search on "All" vaccines and display the search results by vaccine, you can easily see adverse events attributed to the Shingrix vaccine.

https://wonder.cdc.gov/vaers.html

The search tool on the website allows you to do detailed searches, though it's a bit clunky. There is a list of hundreds of symptoms you can search for. I selected for "Deafness", "Deafness Bilateral", & "Deafness Unilateral". The Shingrix vaccine was approved by the FDA in October, 2017. Therefore I restricted my search for adverse events reported for any vaccine administered between Oct. 2017 and the present (the database has data thru March 14, 2019, as of today). I believe it gets updated monthly, so my entry isn't included yet.

The results of my search were extremely interesting. First of all, reported deafness following a vaccine is a very rare event. During the 18 most recent months of data I searched on, there were a total of 39 events reported in the "Deafness" category of which 8 were reported for Shingrix. There were 4 events reported for the "Deafness Bilateral" symptom, of which 1 was reported for Shingrix. There were 40 events reported under the "Deafness Unilateral" sympton of which 10 were reported for Shingrix. Shingrix was by far, the vaccine with the highest number of deafness events reported to VAERS, 19 out of these 83 reported events (23%). Given that many of the 91 other vaccine products were likely administered far more times than the Shingrix vaccine during the past 18 months. I would suspect that if all of the vaccines administered in the USA during this time period were totaled, that the Shingrix vaccine would account for a very small fraction.

I think that the statistical evidence that my (fortunately temporary) deafness was connected to the Shingrix vaccine is very compelling. I already believed that it was connected, but I am even more convinced now. I intend to notify all 3 doctors I've communicated with about my findings in the VAERS database. I'll be curious to hear the response from my ENT, the only one who didn't think there was a connection.

I read through the individual event accounts. Some were obviously written by doctors, some were obviously written by patients. One account stood out to me. The patient experienced deafness after their 1st Shingrix shot but their hearing recovered. They went ahead and got the 2nd Shingrix shot and lost their hearing again. This time, however, their hearing did not recover.

Last edited:
I got my first Shingrx shot last spring. Arm was VERY sore for days. Could barely move it. When I finally looked, I realized it was because I had a baseball sized red lump on it. Eventually went away...but man it hurt!

When it was time to get the second shot, we were traveling around the country, so I stopped in to any cvs or walgreen etc we passed and inquired. Most didn’t have, those that did we’re giving it only to their customers (which made sense). Finally I walked into a cvs in downtown Seattle one day:
Me - I’m assuming you don’t have the shingrx vaccine available?
Them - sure do
Me - can I get it?
Them - of course!
Me - [emoji15]

Had no side effects from second shot.

So when DH decided to get the vaccine I suggested he wait until the shortage was over. Of course he ignored me [emoji14]. He walked into our local cvs....got the shot, no wait. Three months later he walked in again and got his booster. No wait. And no side effects whatsoever.

Man lives right....?

Anethum,

Perhaps there are docs on this thread who can comment.

While I am not a statistician, nor mathematician, your conclusion may be a bit, well, too pointed.

However, it’s your choice!

It's really interesting how much variability there is in supply of the vaccine.

I got #1 back in October at the local VA clinic. After four months had gone by, I stopped in and asked about getting #2 and they couldn't even guess at when it might be available.

So I drove over to the pharmacy at my local Kroger supermarket and asked. They looked in the computer and said "Yes, we just got in 20 doses a few days ago. Would you like it now?"

So it was simple, but you do have to cast your net wider than you might expect.

Just got my second shot this morning at a Meijer store in the Midwest. Chatted with the pharmacist a bit--he said they've had the vaccine all along and couldn't understand all of the reports of shortages.

Didn't have much of a reaction after receiving the first shot in December--guess I'll see how things go with this one.

Lumpy

Anethum,

Perhaps there are docs on this thread who can comment.

While I am not a statistician, nor mathematician, your conclusion may be a bit, well, too pointed.

However, it’s your choice!
"too pointed" ? What does that mean?

I realized after my previous post that although the Shingrix vaccine was approved in October, 2017, it didn't become available for several months. As far as I could determine, it became available in early 2018. Therefore, my search in the VAERS database shouldn't have included the final months of 2017. I did a new search for the period of 1/2018 - 3/2019 for deafness-related "Adverse Events" reported for all vaccines administered in the US. There were 50 reported deafness events, of which 19 were reported to have occurred after the Shingrix shot. That's 38% of all reported cases.

I also viewed and read the report from ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices) when they were discussing and debating the Shingrix vaccine recommendations in October, 2017. There, I finally found some information regarding a single dosage of the Shingrix vaccine. For reasons which were never explained, Shingrix was not tested with a single dose. However, the ACIP meeting notes had a table for VE (Vaccine Effectiveness) for Shingrix, by age brackets. The table states that a single dose of Shingrix has a VE of 85%-95% in the 1st year for people between 50-69. For those people 70+, the VE is 64%-74% in the 1st year. The source for these values is listed in the table as "Unpublished post hoc analysis by GSK from ZOE 50/70". (GSK is GlaxoSmithKline)

It was stated at the ACIP meeting that both the high Shingrix VE as well as the high percentage (17%) of "grade 3" reactions (serious side effects) to the vaccine are believed to be attributed to the new adjuvant used in the Shingrix vaccine.

The vast majority of people won't have severe reactions to the Shingrix vaccine. However, given my personal experience with the 1st Shingrix shot, I would be a damn fool to risk getting the 2nd.

My wife and I got our second dose yesterday, exactly two months after the first. Our local pharmacy called us (they have kept a list and prioritized those who had the first shot).

Neither of us had much of a reaction to the first shot, but both of us developed muscle aches and a dull head ache over night after the second one. Additionally, I developed a low grade fever. I'm still not feeling great, but it's not slowing me down much. My wife seems to be doing much better.

-Wino

Just got my second shot this morning at a Meijer store in the Midwest. Chatted with the pharmacist a bit--he said they've had the vaccine all along and couldn't understand all of the reports of shortages.

Didn't have much of a reaction after receiving the first shot in December--guess I'll see how things go with this one.
We got our second shots this week. Shortages must be local, but we had to call and drive around to find our first shots in Jan, and again this past week. We didn't have to drive too far, but it took 3-6 pharmacies to find each time.

I had the available shingles vax in 2014 but our GP told us Shingrx was much better and recommended we do it (even though he didn't offer it, so no $ to him). The two people I know who had shingles would say they'd do anything to avoid it - that painful.

Went to the pharmacy to pick up a med and saw a sign saying they had the Shingrx vaccine in stock. I already have had both shots, but I asked about it anyway and they said they had "plenty." This was yesterday (Wednesday). So, if anyone is interested, try: Pavilions (Von's) in West Hollywood.

Went to the pharmacy to pick up a med and saw a sign saying they had the Shingrx vaccine in stock. I already have had both shots, but I asked about it anyway and they said they had "plenty." This was yesterday (Wednesday). So, if anyone is interested, try: Pavilions (Von's) in West Hollywood.

I am in Woodland Hills, so a little far. I asked few CVS, Costco, Ride Aid around here. None has available and no one has waiting list either. Just said keep calling once a week.

I am in Woodland Hills, so a little far. I asked few CVS, Costco, Ride Aid around here. None has available and no one has waiting list either. Just said keep calling once a week.

You might want to consider (if you already haven't) calling the grocery stores (with pharmacies) in your area to see if they have the vaccine.

If you decide to drive to West Hollywood, it would be a good idea to call first and make sure they have "plenty" of the vaccine in stock.

Anyhow, your post could be an inspiration for a poll: HOW FAR (EITHER IN TIME OR MILES) WOULD YOU DRIVE TO GET A SHINGRX SHOT?

You might want to consider (if you already haven't) calling the grocery stores (with pharmacies) in your area to see if they have the vaccine.

If you decide to drive to West Hollywood, it would be a good idea to call first and make sure they have "plenty" of the vaccine in stock.

Anyhow, your post could be an inspiration for a poll: HOW FAR (EITHER IN TIME OR MILES) WOULD YOU DRIVE TO GET A SHINGRX SHOT?

Finally, a Walgreens pharmacy has one in stock. 4 miles away. Not bad. I quickly went there and got the shot. I will now wait 2 months for the 2nd dose.

Finally, a Walgreens pharmacy has one in stock. 4 miles away. Not bad. I quickly went there and got the shot. I will now wait 2 months for the 2nd dose.

See? Nothing to it! We (I) will be looking forward to an update in about two months. :)

"too pointed" ? What does that mean?

I realized after my previous post that although the Shingrix vaccine was approved in October, 2017, it didn't become available for several months. As far as I could determine, it became available in early 2018. Therefore, my search in the VAERS database shouldn't have included the final months of 2017. I did a new search for the period of 1/2018 - 3/2019 for deafness-related "Adverse Events" reported for all vaccines administered in the US. There were 50 reported deafness events, of which 19 were reported to have occurred after the Shingrix shot. That's 38% of all reported cases.

I also viewed and read the report from ACIP (Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices) when they were discussing and debating the Shingrix vaccine recommendations in October, 2017. There, I finally found some information regarding a single dosage of the Shingrix vaccine. For reasons which were never explained, Shingrix was not tested with a single dose. However, the ACIP meeting notes had a table for VE (Vaccine Effectiveness) for Shingrix, by age brackets. The table states that a single dose of Shingrix has a VE of 85%-95% in the 1st year for people between 50-69. For those people 70+, the VE is 64%-74% in the 1st year. The source for these values is listed in the table as "Unpublished post hoc analysis by GSK from ZOE 50/70". (GSK is GlaxoSmithKline)

It was stated at the ACIP meeting that both the high Shingrix VE as well as the high percentage (17%) of "grade 3" reactions (serious side effects) to the vaccine are believed to be attributed to the new adjuvant used in the Shingrix vaccine.

The vast majority of people won't have severe reactions to the Shingrix vaccine. However, given my personal experience with the 1st Shingrix shot, I would be a damn fool to risk getting the 2nd.

Given your experience, I think you're being very smart. I had a miserable day or two after each shot, but nothing adverse long-term. With luck, the one shot will give you some degree of resistance to shingles or at least diminish the severity if you do get shingles.

Glad you reported the vaccine side-effect.

Apparently our local pharmacies finally have it in sufficient quantity now, since my wife got the first one today. (She just happened to be refilling a prescription and she saw a sign about it and they had it, so she did it.) We are leaving for a week-long Alaska cruise this Saturday, so I figure I'll wait until we return since I don't want to chance the side effects on the ship. But it is on my to-do list now!

They say they will contact her in about 3 months for the second shot. After hearing the horror stories about the short supply of that one, I can only hope they do.

I had the first shot several months ago and having been diligently searching for the second shot, none to be found where I live in the middle of North Carolina. Last week I went to the mountains of North Carolina and the Walgreens there had 30 doses so I was able to get the second shot. No side effects other than a slightly sore arm and a mild headache. YAH!! So the shortages seem to vary widely from place to place to place.

I would do most anything to avoid shingles. I had a really bad case when I was age 50 and now 17 years later I still have pain around my waist where the outbreak was. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me, I was out of work a month. At age 60 I had the old shingles shot and still got shingles a second time couple of years later although not nearly as badly as the first time. I am hoping for the advertised 95% effectiveness on the new shot.

Back
Top Bottom