New Variant Vaccine

I'd like to know when we get some data on how effective this one is. I mean I am likely to get it either way but curious. I probably will do it when I get the flu shot next month.

Had an appt. today at CVS for bivalent. Got there and they were all out. The pharmacist said to call tomorrow and see if more comes in.

I chose a store, selected a time slot on Wednesday, and only stopped when I reached the page where one fills in name, etc, all of the personal details beyond birth date. Nothing looked different than it did to me before. No words that they had the Bivalent shot.

A local hospital sent an email that they are not allowed to give the original versions as boosters, only for the "primary series." If so, all boosters are the updated version.

I'd like to know when we get some data on how effective this one is. I mean I am likely to get it either way but curious. I probably will do it when I get the flu shot next month.

It's got to be a couple of months, right? I find it interesting that the protection from death vs unvaccinated status is holding up over time. I wonder if the important factor is time since last vaccination vs number of doses.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-14 9.32.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-14 9.32.11 AM.png
    69 KB · Views: 89
It's got to be a couple of months, right? I find it interesting that the protection from death vs unvaccinated status is holding up over time. I wonder if the important factor is time since last vaccination vs number of doses.
Interesting chart. Thanks for sharing.

Your theory on "time since last vaccination vs number of boosters", does make me wonder if some folks (e.g. folks over 80 years old, immune compromised, etc.) might need more than an annual booster each fall. I would prefer if DM and DMIL, both in their mid to late 80s, could get a booster a couple of times a year for the rest of their life's. Antibodies wane over time, and a year is a long time.

Interesting chart. Thanks for sharing.

Your theory on "time since last vaccination vs number of boosters", does make me wonder if some folks (e.g. folks over 80 years old, immune compromised, etc.) might need more than an annual booster each fall. I would prefer if DM and DMIL, both in their mid to late 80s, could get a booster a couple of times a year for the rest of their life's. Antibodies wane over time, and a year is a long time.

I hope my DH age 71 with compromised immune system will be able to get a Covid booster every 6 months plus the Evusheld Covid antibodies every 6 months.

A local hospital sent an email that they are not allowed to give the original versions as boosters, only for the "primary series." If so, all boosters are the updated version.

When I asked at the Walgreens if what I was getting was the new bivalent booster they said yes, that was the only kind of booster they are allowed to give now.

So if a person recently contracted the current variant and you recovered, would you wait to get a booster or after a certain period of time elapsed?

Got Moderna yesterday. Slight arm soreness. Maybe a little "off" feeling, but nothing like the previous shots. This one was easy. I even did my swim this morning and was only a few seconds slower (for 2000 yds) than normal.

Just curious, for those who have been mixing and matching their shots, are you just going to alternate from now on? We had Moderna for vaccination and first booster then Pfizer for second booster. Considering going back to Moderna now and then alternating unless another option materializes in the future.

Just curious, for those who have been mixing and matching their shots, are you just going to alternate from now on? We had Moderna for vaccination and first booster then Pfizer for second booster. Considering going back to Moderna now and then alternating unless another option materializes in the future.
I changed it up for shot #4 because I had read a study that showed a slight possible benefit to having a combination of Pfizer/Moderna vs. only one, but also because it was convenient. Now that I've had both, I'll probably continue to just schedule whichever seems more convenient. (CVS and Walgreens both seem to only offer one mRNA vaccine at each location, at least around here.)

I changed it up for shot #4 because I had read a study that showed a slight possible benefit to having a combination of Pfizer/Moderna vs. only one, but also because it was convenient. Now that I've had both, I'll probably continue to just schedule whichever seems more convenient. (CVS and Walgreens both seem to only offer one mRNA vaccine at each location, at least around here.)

Same.

"Diet Coke please"

Ma'am, we only have Pepsi...

"Ok fine..."

All my previous shots were Moderna but the local pharmacy only has Pfizer now so I got one the other day. They actually apologized for only having the one! While I was there I got a flu shot as well.

I've been vaccinated against so many things, so many times (military) over my lifetime that it's pure routine and I never give it a second thought.

I had Moderna for first 3 and got the Pfizer Wednesday morning (all that was available in our area). Felt achy that afternoon and didn’t sleep well so was tired Thursday. Slept good last night and played two hours of Pickleball this morning with no issues. I flu shot at same time, same arm. Just a little sore today. Wife was a little more achy but is fine today

The young wife and I walked to our local pharmacy this morning and got the Covid bivalent vaccine and a flu shot. All of our five Covid shots have been Pfizer.

H and I are getting our Covid bivalent vaccine and flu shot this afternoon. We had a booster back in November and then got Covid in the first wave of Omicron after the new year. We had the 2 initial vaccines and 1 booster so far.

Moderna booster and flue shot this afternoon. Spouse got the booster on Wed. We didn't want to both be wiped out if we happened to have bad side effects. So far all either of us have had has been sore arms.

From everyone I am talking to, side effects are less with the Bivalent shot than previous shots. Maybe immune systems are getting use to the shots?

From everyone I am talking to, side effects are less with the Bivalent shot than previous shots. Maybe immune systems are getting use to the shots?

If I press directly on the place where I got the injection today, I can feel a little soreness. But I would expect that, as someone just injected liquid into my arm muscle where it doesn't belong. The content of that liquid is irrelevant. Which is why I think "soreness at the injection site" is a stupid listed side effect. That would happen with any intramuscular injection.

Other than that, I have zero side effects from my bivalent Covid vaccine.

To mix or not to mix for the bivalent? That is the question.

As far as I know, I haven't got covid yet and been on Pfizer all the way. 4 jabs thus far, need #5.

If I press directly on the place where I got the injection today, I can feel a little soreness. But I would expect that, as someone just injected liquid into my arm muscle where it doesn't belong. The content of that liquid is irrelevant. Which is why I think "soreness at the injection site" is a stupid listed side effect. That would happen with any intramuscular injection.

Other than that, I have zero side effects from my bivalent Covid vaccine.

Well there's "soreness" and then there's my-arm's-falling-off soreness.

Shots 2 and 3 of Moderna really were a pain. My arm throbbed and it hurt when I lifted it. This was way beyond pushing on the injection site. It was enough to disrupt sleep.

For this bivalent shot? That was transitory. Felt it a bit for a few hours when lifting my arm, then done. Next day I had to press on it like Gumby describes.

If I were interviewed by a researcher who only asked "did you have soreness at the injection site?" I would answer yes. Unless they delved deeper into the severity of it, the data would be useless since this instance was trivial and the earlier instances were not.

Got my fifth Moderna jab (bivalent variety) yesterday, no issues whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom