NFL: 2019 Season

Yes. Notice that Flowers grabbed the shoulder pads and pushed. He didn't yank.
He's been doing that for years.

Okay. Just watched again. I agree with you that he didn't yank. I didn't know grabbing the shoulder pads was allowed.

Yes, there were bad calls, but they didn't give GB the win. And I couldn't have cared less who won. I was actually hoping at the end GB would have lost. I thought it was BS that the RB sat down before scoring the touchdown. At that point, it would have been awesome if they missed the FG.

But, the game is 60-minutes long. There has always been human error and always will be. Taking the human decision out of it would probably make the games unwatchable and have its own set of unintended consequences.

The Lions had plenty of opportunities to score or score a TD and they didn't. They could have put the game in the bag.

Who knows how many calls were missed? TV only focuses on the "obvious" ones. It is easy to see the mistakes with today's camera's that are everywhere. The Refs don't have that advantage, and I think if they somehow did, the game again would be unwatchable.

cd :O)

I know it's not the same judge, but they all come from the same group, and they're unlikely to say one of their brethren was wrong. It's like asking a cop to investigate another cop or ticket another cop. We all know that's not exactly unbiased.

Biased or not, decisions get overturned on appeal all the time.

Huh? It's BS that he made the correct football play?

Agree. Sitting down before the goal line was brilliant.
Keeps control in your hands knowing you have a chip shot field goal to make with a solid veteran kicker. Never puts the ball back in Detroit’s hands. Unselfish play on his part.

Yes sitting down was a great play. The Lions let him go and if they where smart they would have tried a bit harder and then picked him up and carried him in to the end zone. And of course the Lions would have been better off if they had scored three touchdowns instead of field goals but it that doesn't really excuse the officiating.

Yes sitting down was a great play. The Lions let him go and if they where smart they would have tried a bit harder and then picked him up and carried him in to the end zone. And of course the Lions would have been better off if they had scored three touchdowns instead of field goals but it that doesn't really excuse the officiating.

Or having 12 men on the field....

Biased or not, decisions get overturned on appeal all the time.

I guess that depends on your definition of 'all the time.' The new pass interference challenge rule has been a disaster. The officials haven't been overturning many obvious calls. It's bad. Actually just plain awful. I'm not convinced they would have overturned the missed call on the Saints last year that prompted the rule change, given the absolute blundering job they've done this season.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...-challenges-call-on-the-field-not-overturned/

"We should have all seen this coming. That’s a problem for the league. Either they are going to review pass interference by the letter of the law, or they just aren’t going to overturn anything. Coaches are 1-21 since Week 3 when challenging for pass interference. There have been seven successful challenges in 40 attempts. That’s a 17.5 percent hit rate on that type of challenge. Is it really worth it to give up a timeout for 17 percent chance at getting things right? Probably not."

The officials have basically sided with themselves the vast majority of the time, despite being obviously wrong on many occasions. Right now it's a broken system that is enraging fans, players, and coaches, and rightfully so.

Every team has injuries. Some are deep enough to compensate, others are not.

It would be nice that both teams are completely healthy when they meet, but that seems unlikely.

"depth is good until you have to use it" -Marv Levy

Every year I expect the Cowboys to get better, may be win playoff games, or pie in the sky, get to the super bowl. Not gonna happen. Now They have excellent players. But their coaching staff is not particularly good. Somewhere Jimmy Johnson is laughing. I saw Rex Ryan on ESPN this a.m. laughing at the team. He called the new offense coach "Boy Wonder". Garrett should be gone already. The team should have been fired up, playing at home after a disappointing loss in New Orleans. That's on Garrett. And Dak needs to produce. After all this is his 4th year. I root for The boys every year, but even eventually get smart. Change the channel.

I am shocked Garrett has been head coach of same team for 10? years.

"depth is good until you have to use it" -Marv Levy

Then depth is bad if you have to use it?
As far as I can recall, you still have to play the game.

I liked Marv.

...The new pass interference challenge rule has been a disaster. The officials haven't been overturning many obvious calls. It's bad. Actually just plain awful. I'm not convinced they would have overturned the missed call on the Saints last year that prompted the rule change, given the absolute blundering job they've done this season.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...-challenges-call-on-the-field-not-overturned/

"We should have all seen this coming. That’s a problem for the league. Either they are going to review pass interference by the letter of the law, or they just aren’t going to overturn anything. Coaches are 1-21 since Week 3 when challenging for pass interference. There have been seven successful challenges in 40 attempts. That’s a 17.5 percent hit rate on that type of challenge. Is it really worth it to give up a timeout for 17 percent chance at getting things right? Probably not."

The officials have basically sided with themselves the vast majority of the time, despite being obviously wrong on many occasions. Right now it's a broken system that is enraging fans, players, and coaches, and rightfully so.

I view it very differently... I think that the mindset is that they will overturn only if the original call was flagarantly wrong... "make you want to puke" wrong... like we saw in the NFC championship game last year....they use the term clearly and obviously wrong... if it isn't "make you want to puke" wrong then the original call was plausably right and won't be overturned.

Well darn, I was looking forward to Rodgers v Mahomes next week. Hope this doesn’t turn into one of those chronic injuries for Mahomes.

Was Denver just that bad offensively or was the Chiefs defense actually pretty good tonight?

I view it very differently... I think that the mindset is that they will overturn only if the original call was flagarantly wrong... "make you want to puke" wrong... like we saw in the NFC championship game last year....they use the term clearly and obviously wrong... if it isn't "make you want to puke" wrong then the original call was plausably right and won't be overturned.

Okay, so how did so many 'make you want to puke' missed/incorrectly called plays not get reversed this year?

And they should use the same scrutiny that they use for challenged plays as they use for challenged calls.

Mahomes got hurt on a QB sneak play last night. Getting an MRI today. Looks like minimum of 3 weeks out, worst case is possible end of season.

Mahomes got hurt on a QB sneak play last night. Getting an MRI today. Looks like minimum of 3 weeks out, worst case is possible end of season.

Watching the replay, looked like a pretty bad bend of the knee. Hope the Chiefs don't do an RGIII and rush him back too soon.

There always will be the question, is having a really good backup QB a necessity or luxury? One injury to a star staring QB and that could be the end of the season without a decent backup. Yet, most backups are a backup for a reason.

There are always worse cases than just ending a season. Some mobile quarterbacks never make it back to their former self after an injury.

I think Mahomes is pretty special and could be very good without all the mobility. But we'll see.

Only :( ... Ouch!
As a Chief's fan I'm disappointed but.... Henne was out before the season and the only thing thet did is get Matt Moore? Mahomes is a great QB but he's human, humans get hurt.

Was Denver just that bad offensively or was the Chiefs defense actually pretty good tonight?

Denver was absolutely that bad offensively. Flacco's passing was mediocre, he couldn't hit anything down field. And the offensive line couldn't seem to block for either runs or passes. Very sad.

As a Chief's fan I'm disappointed but.... Henne was out before the season and the only thing thet did is get Matt Moore? Mahomes is a great QB but he's human, humans get hurt.

Yes, sorry to see Mahomes get hurt.... he is so fun to watch the way he improvises plays.

I'm continually thankful and impressed by Tom Brady's durability over the years... just out that one season with the knee injury as I recall.

Yes, sorry to see Mahomes get hurt.... he is so fun to watch the way he improvises plays.

I'm continually thankful and impressed by Tom Brady's durability over the years... just out that one season with the knee injury as I recall.

Just saw this... I guess that I wasn't the only one thinking about TB12's impressive durability:

When you think of Tom Brady, the top things that come to mind are his ability to perform in the clutch, his quick-release and his accuracy. But, what it really should be is his toughness and durability. Over Brady’s 20-year NFL career, the quarterback has two of the longest consecutive start streaks in NFL history among quarterbacks. He started 111 straight regular-season games before tearing his ACL in 2008, and then 112 straight regular-season games until he was suspended four games for his role in Deflategate in 2016. The streaks are the 10th and 11th-longest among QBs in NFL history. Obviously, his last streak ended due to suspension, not injury, so if that did not happen, Monday would be Brady’s 167th straight start, and that would be fifth-longest all-time among QBs. Over Brady's entire career, he's only missed 15 games due to injury, and those all came in one season. “That is part of the reason why he’s the GOAT,” Julian Edelman said Friday on The Greg Hill Show. “The guy has played in a lot of football games and takes care of his body. It definitely is a reason why he’s at where he’s at because he can do it for such a long time. That is part of the TB12 philosophy.” Of course, this comes up following Patrick Mahomes suffering a knee injury Thursday night that will have him miss several weeks. So, what’s Brady’s secret? “Pliability, man,” he said. “That’s what I work on every day.”

Back
Top Bottom