Nutrition / Calorie Tracking Software

This is interesting. I'm more interested in tracking my daily activity level. I ordered a fitbit yesterday after seeing them in Costco and thinking about it for a while. I already have an HRM that I use when I do my combo aerobic/weights workouts at home. And when I go out for a long run or bike ride I carry my Bad Elf GPS which does a tidy track that I can upload into my iPad which shows a map plus start stop, average speed, max speed, etc.

Right now I'm working on not sitting for more than 55 mins without getting up and doing something. I don't think the fitbit has a X minutes without moving alarm? Seems like it would be an easy added function. For now I can just start a timer on my iPad whenever I sit down.

Once I get the fitbit there will be even more data to record and collect! So I'll have to start looking at these tracking apps. I'm mainly just trying to get the daily activity level up.

Which Fitbit did you get? I currently have a One (had a Force but returned it when recalled last year). DH has a Flex. I have on order a Charge HR. THis has the HRM built it. From what I've read it is fairly worthless for measuring HR during actual exercise, but does reasonably well measuring it just during your day to day activity. I want it to get better calorie burn info during that time. During exercise with my one (and with my Charge HR when I get it), I wear a heart rate monitor chest strap. That talks to Digifit on my phone which then tells Fitbit how many calories I've burned during the activity.

As for things to remind you take a break (yes it would be great if Fitbit did that), there are a number of apps you can get for your computer that will remind you to get up and take a break and I use one of those.

Which Fitbit did you get? I currently have a One (had a Force but returned it when recalled last year). DH has a Flex. I have on order a Charge HR. THis has the HRM built it. From what I've read it is fairly worthless for measuring HR during actual exercise, but does reasonably well measuring it just during your day to day activity. I want it to get better calorie burn info during that time. During exercise with my one (and with my Charge HR when I get it), I wear a heart rate monitor chest strap. That talks to Digifit on my phone which then tells Fitbit how many calories I've burned during the activity.

As for things to remind you take a break (yes it would be great if Fitbit did that), there are a number of apps you can get for your computer that will remind you to get up and take a break and I use one of those.
Thanks.

I have a polar chest band type HRM that I wear sometimes when I am doing a combo aerobics/weights type exercise. And I can use it for riding and walking too if I wanted. It estimates calories burned as well as providing the times and heart stats for the session.

The timer thing - the built in timer for the iPad is fine so far.. I usually have it nearby when I'm at home.

Seems like the easiest thing in the world for Fitbit to add.

I ordered the Fitbit flex. I'm fine with it mostly tracking steps me letting me know if I'm behind for the day.

Oh - my timer just went off. I need to go out back and look at butterflies for a while.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom