Online Computer Repair

JustMeUC

Recycles dryer sheets
I normally just buy cheapest computer I can find and when something goes seriously wrong, I toss it and buy another. However, last summer I bought a nicer Lenovo I5 laptop to do video editing and hate to just throw it away. It was over $600 new (double what I normally pay) and I really liked it. However, it has the blue screen of death and keeps rebooting. I had been working on a video edit for hours and lost everything.... I don't have a clue where the original papers, or the CD's that came with it are at. I was told that I should have kept all of that because I might have to reload Windows or something. Is this vital for repairing it? I don't want to pay to have it repaired then not be able to due to the fact I don't have these CD's..

I just got a Chromebook thinking I could use that instead but it is very limiting and while fine for surfing the net, it can't do any real photo or video editing. I really like it and will probably keep it since I understand it won't get any viruses but would really like a computer for video editing.

I was thinking of using one of those online computer repair services but since I don't have the original discs will I be wasting my money? I would be willing to pay up to maybe $100 if I was sure they could fix it back to like new. But I am not sure who to use....

What to do?

Yes you absolutely need to keep the CDs ( not sure if lenovo even ships CDs anymore ). Most lenovos, as soon as you boot it up first time you need to run their image tools to make a reinstall CD set. You can order the CDs from lenovo

How can I get a Product Recovery CD or DVD?

Also lenovo comes with a factory recovery partition you can use to reinstall

How to use the pre-boot service partition to recover your software

What version of windows. When does the BSOD happen. May not be anything wrong with the hardware, device drivers are a big source of BSOD. A shop willy typically just wipe the HD and reinstall windows as it is too time consuming and expensive to track down and fix unless it's something obvious.

Can you boot it up in so-called "safe mode"? google it.

I know our old computer cannot boot normally, because the video card is bad, but does boot up in safe mode.

Thanks guys, but I don't understand all that stuff... I went and tried to read those links but there is no way I could do that myself, I would just like to have someone get on my computer remotely and fix it. :)

Is this possible even if I threw away those discs or am I out of luck?

Will the computer run long enough for someone to log in and repair it? I have repaired thousands of computers but if you keep getting the blue screen it is going to be almost impossible for someone to do this online. I assume by the timeframe that you purchased the laptop you are running windows 7? Did the blue screen start after installing something? Blue screen problems can be hardware or software. What does the STOP error say? It will list it when you get the blue screen. That would let me know if you are dealing with a virus problem or hardware problem, at least we could maybe narrow it down. Most all computers built in the last few years have a hidden partition on the hard drive with the operating system on it. They no longer ship the DVD with the systems anymore. Tell me how long the laptop runs before the blue screen shows up? . It could be as simple as a fan not working and the laptop heating up. I will check back tomorrow night and see what you find out. Oldtrig

Try to start it up in safe mode and then do a system restore to a date preceding the BSOD. This will undo problems arising from program updates. If that doesn't work, I suggest calling a computer technician who can do a house call or see your PC in the ER, so to speak. Been there, done that, and had a successful resolution, on a PC much older than yours, with the technician's discs. I now have a Mac as well and Ye Olde PC is the backup.

Last edited:
It is a G570 with I5 750 GB and is running windows 7 home premium.

It sometimes runs for hours, other times for an hour or so. Most of the time several hours, and most of the time as long as I am doing something on it, it works fine, it seems to have problems when it is just sitting.

I tried to run some kind of pc fix that I read about but it downloaded AVG crap where each time I try to go online it replaced chrome with AVG search. I uninstalled it but it didn't go away.

I can hear a fan running, at least I think it is a fan.

I don't know what the error message is. I will leave the computer on for now then write it down once it happens.

Thanks, I don't want to spend money to have someone get on the computer only to tell me that they can't do anything.

Try to start it up in safe mode and then do a system restore to a date preceding the BSOD. This will undo problems arising from program updates. If that doesn't work, I suggest calling a computer technician who can do a house call or see your PC in the ER, so to speak. Been tree, done that, and had a successful resolution, on a PC much older than yours, with the technician's discs. I now have a Mac as well and Ye Olde PC is the backup.

Remember my other post.... the one where you kindly responded?

honestly, I can't concentrate enough to do something even that basic. It's absolutely pathetic ... I know that even a few years ago I would have tackled this with no problems. :(

Remember my other post.... the one where you kindly responded?

honestly, I can't concentrate enough to do something even that basic. It's absolutely pathetic ... I know that even a few years ago I would have tackled this with no problems. :(

Not to worry. It's OK to delegate, and it's not your fault. :flowers:

Buy a Mac (15 Ads in 1 Pack) HQ - YouTube

Call your local computer repair place, they'll be able to sort you out. Is there a reason you want do it online instead of local? The local place will be able to swap out any faulty hardware (if there is any) and will have Windows discs so they can reinstall the OS from scratch if needed. Online won't be able to do either of those.

I normally just buy cheapest computer I can find and when something goes seriously wrong, I toss it and buy another. However, last summer I bought a nicer Lenovo I5 laptop to do video editing and hate to just throw it away. It was over $600 new (double what I normally pay) and I really liked it. However, it has the blue screen of death and keeps rebooting. I had been working on a video edit for hours and lost everything.... I don't have a clue where the original papers, or the CD's that came with it are at. I was told that I should have kept all of that because I might have to reload Windows or something. Is this vital for repairing it? I don't want to pay to have it repaired then not be able to due to the fact I don't have these CD's..

I just got a Chromebook thinking I could use that instead but it is very limiting and while fine for surfing the net, it can't do any real photo or video editing. I really like it and will probably keep it since I understand it won't get any viruses but would really like a computer for video editing.

I was thinking of using one of those online computer repair services but since I don't have the original discs will I be wasting my money? I would be willing to pay up to maybe $100 if I was sure they could fix it back to like new. But I am not sure who to use....

What to do?
You need the same version of Windows 7 on a DVD, so that you can restore to that version.

First I'd try safe mode. You tap F8 key after booting the system.

Since there is a blue screen and you mentioned AVG, I'd suggest that is the culprit. If you can get to safe mode, you'll be able to turn off the offending hardware or software, and reboot. Blue screens identify a specific device problem. If you take the time to type that info in here, I may be able to help.

Honestly, from your responses it sounds like you need to ship it back to where you bought it, or take to a local shop. The bad news is that you will probably pay more than half the original cost for the PC repair. Part of that is due to the fact you can't find the installation DVD. If the Lenovo DVD is $50 or less, I would buy it. Actually, I would go through my pile of "stuff" and find the DVD. That is worth an hour of my time.

Honestly, from your responses it sounds like you need to ship it back to where you bought it, or take to a local shop. The bad news is that you will probably pay more than half the original cost for the PC repair. Part of that is due to the fact you can't find the installation DVD. If the Lenovo DVD is $50 or less, I would buy it. Actually, I would go through my pile of "stuff" and find the DVD. That is worth an hour of my time.

I bought it at one of those big electronic stores in Panama when my last one broke down. I probably left the box and discs down there. Next time I will save the discs at least.

Take it to your local repair shop and they'll be able to fix it. Don't worry about not having the disks - they should have them or be able to download what they need.

Since they can access your computer (ie. you have a working computer), they can get the license codes they need if they have to reinstall from scratch.

All the best.

Thanks, I don't want to spend money to have someone get on the computer only to tell me that they can't do anything.

This type of problem doesn't lend it self to remote ( online repair ). I would need to lay hands on it. Do you not know any local computer geeks ? I fix many for friends , don't charge as I do it just for fun now.

Best bet as has been mentioned is to try a system restore ( this won't fix things if it's a hardware problem like a fan causing it to overheat )

Step by step for a win7 system restore

How to do a System Restore from Safe Mode (Windows 7) - YouTube

All the above are good suggestions.

Please know however that if you get fully into the Google world via Chromebook, you can edit photos through Google+. I"ve been using nothing but Google for six months now (spreadsheets, documents, photos, music, calendar, email) without problem but you really do have to jump in fully.

Don't try online repair. Take it to Geek Squad or something along those lines. Or see if the Lenovo warranty is any good.

All the above are good suggestions.

Please know however that if you get fully into the Google world via Chromebook, you can edit photos through Google+. I"ve been using nothing but Google for six months now (spreadsheets, documents, photos, music, calendar, email) without problem but you really do have to jump in fully.

I am at the mall on my tablet now so not in front of my chromebook... but can I hook up my monitor to it? I have a 27" I like to do my photo and video editing on. I like every thing Google, perhaps I will have to look more into what my chromebook can really do.

I sent you a PM. Read and let me know what you think. oldtrig

I am at the mall on my tablet now so not in front of my chromebook... but can I hook up my monitor to it? I have a 27" I like to do my photo and video editing on. I like every thing Google, perhaps I will have to look more into what my chromebook can really do.

If you look at the Chromebook you should see a monitor port as well as an HDMI port. If you do a lot of photo and video, get Google+ upload some photos and play with them before jumping...I do photo editing but not for any great amount...this used to be "Picasa".

Back
Top Bottom