Organic

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Can't remember if this is bacon flavored subject, but today when we were shopping, jeanie found a good deal on organic bed sheets. For me, the ultimate!

So, if the subject passes the smell test, would love to hear thoughts on organic whatevers.

:cool:

Can't remember if this is bacon flavored subject, but today when we were shopping, jeanie found a good deal on organic bed sheets. For me, the ultimate!

So, if the subject passes the smell test, would love to hear thoughts on organic whatevers.

:cool:
How can you tell if a whatever is organic?

OMG...
just got around to a google search for organic sheets... Wait 'til you see.

The ones we were looking at were in Goodwill... brand new, and marked down from $99 to $24....

We'll go back in the AM...
:LOL:

Organic sheets...
Why would anyone want sheets made from organs? eew... But if they are bacon flavored, they can't be all that bad. Anything like edible underwear? Good thing you are doing a 'smell' test. Especially if buying from Goodwill.

Last edited:
I thought "sheet" is what organic farmers used for fertilizer? :hide:

-ERD50

Aah me!
Was hoping someone would explain "organic". Wonder why we must pay the extra 25%.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/rules-regulations/organic/labeling

Many questions, like who verifies the certification?

Also, wondered how the change from tainted growth soils to the purity required by the standards could take place in so many products in just a few years.

Who does the checking? How many companies have been cited for violating the standards?

And... at your age, what do you believe about the improvement in health that organic products offer?

I'm a skeptic... but have an open mind... :blush: maybe too open, eh?

Aah me!
Was hoping someone would explain "organic". Wonder why we must pay the extra 25%.

Also, wondered how the change from tainted growth soils to the purity required by the standards could take place in so many products in just a few years.

Who does the checking? How many companies have been cited for violating the standards?

And... at your age, what do you believe about the improvement in health that organic products offer?

This! Same with farmers market. Folks busted reselling produce from the grocery stores down the street in Alexandria VA if i recall cirrectly. And if Your farm is organic, but the water that runs through it comes via your neighbors lawn which is Not organic, then what are you growing? Same question with overspray. No one is regulating. "Buy my organic honey and you'll come back for more. My secret is the cocaine I use in it for tge special zip!"

If you believe that chemical fertilizer is "bad", and you're buying a product that is, or is made from a plant, and you don't mind paying a premium, then by all means, buy the organic version.

This is the free market at work.

If you believe that chemical fertilizer is "bad", and you're buying a product that is, or is made from a plant, and you don't mind paying a premium, then by all means, buy the organic version.

This is the free market at work.

I would add “if you think the chemicals used in organic farming as less harmful”, because organic does NOT mean no fertilizer/herbicide/pesticide...

I would add “if you think the chemicals used in organic farming as less harmful”, because organic does NOT mean no fertilizer/herbicide/pesticide...

+1

This is one of my 'beefs' with 'organic'.

Organic farmers absolutely do use use "chemicals". Sometimes, a LOT of them. But those' chemicals' must be plant/animal based ("natural"), not synthesized.

That just seems like such a meaningless, arbitrary distinction. Obviously, many 'natural' things are harmful to us, e-coli, botulism, lead, mercury, poisonous mushrooms, arsenic. So 'natural' is no guarantee of safety.

Plus, that leaves us stuck with these products. In the lab, they can synthesize better, more environmentally friendly 'chemicals'. But no, organic farmers can't use them.

I think you'll find that since organic farmers are limited to these products, that they sometimes have to use large amounts of them - far more than their synthetic equivalents.

What's the point? I actually actively try to avoid organic, as I think so much of it is a scam. I just don't want to support it.

-ERD50

I only buy 100% gluten-free, paleo, low-carb, free-range, cage-free, vegan sheets.

That makes me better than all of you! :p

Our friends daughter had to buy "organic" sand for the kids sandbox. Seemed like a strange attribute of sand to me, but maybe there was more to it.

I only buy 100% gluten-free, paleo, low-carb, free-range, cage-free, vegan sheets.

That makes me better than all of you! :p

You forgot low fat.

Food fads and buzzwords come and go. Major ones in recent memory include low fat, sugar free, organic, and now we have gluten free, free trade, and sustainable.

They all make for great marketing pitches. Just saying...

Organic? I'd say anything that rots, sooner or later.

Aah me!

Who verifies the product depends on who the Certifier is.

I am active with MOFGA, they originated Certified Organic in 1970. Most organic farms in my area [Maine] use MOFGA. Recently the USDA got into certifying organics [led by a Monsanto exec]. So now it really depends on who the regional certifier is that USDA entrusts to do the certifying.

My wife recently retired from working in a grocery store where she was the Produce Manager. Her surveys documented that on average fresh produce costs 15% more when it is Certified Organic.

Q: Do you know what they used to call "organic food"?

A: Food.

You forgot low fat.

Low-fat? That's sooooo passé! I'm way too hip to go for last year's fads!

Food fads and buzzwords come and go. Major ones in recent memory include low fat, sugar free, organic, and now we have gluten free, free trade, and sustainable.

Darn! Now I have to throw out all my sheets and find free-trade, sustainably-harvested ones.

I use this to make all my food organic

FoodPack_05_1.png

Am reposting the "organic" website.

Incredibly complex, but a brush through of some of the links (to me) was doubletalk. Finding out about the actual certification process, involves dozens of videos that don't describe any actual checking of the items being classified... i.e. testing of the soil in which a crop is grown, is not a part of the process. In short, the certification rests on the affirmation of the farmer/grower that the described process (no introduction of unapproved materials) has been followed.

FWIW, the latest count was 3.2 million Farmers in the US.

After spending a few hours on the website, I can't see any way of guaranteeing that the government has control of the standards that have been established.

As to products like meats, the oversight is even more questionable... again, based on the producers statement that he/she has followed the guidelines.

Not to get too far into the weeds, my thinking is that what was good enough for my folks is good enough for me. My suspicion is that generally, the extra price of going organic is not worth it. Frankly, it was seeing the organic sheets that led me into digging deeper.

As they say, trust, but verify. :flowers:

Last edited:
Wait'll the neighborhood cats get in there. They'll leave organic deposits everywhere.

That was the only time, as a little girl, when I did not love cats. Finding they'd been in my sandbox again.

Our friends daughter had to buy "organic" sand for the kids sandbox. Seemed like a strange attribute of sand to me, but maybe there was more to it.

What about "organic" "free range" or "pasture raised" eggs?

I see moms with those im their cart, paying 3-5X what regular eggs cost. Obviously, they perceive value.

OTOH I do not.

Back
Top Bottom