Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Did not like/hated it

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Have not seen but plan too

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • Never plan to see

Votes: 137 61.4%

• Total voters
I thought I remember a time many years ago when there were lots women saying the whole Barbie concept should be banned because the body proportions of the doll were unrealistic and led to depression and other issues with girls. Now it's a thing again?
They do address that in the movie. It's an odd "film " Too many Adult themes for young kids ( anyone for "beaching each other off")and too mind- numbing for adults. No idea why it's so popular. I went as a concession to SO.

Just saw it today - it is slow to start - a tedious first 30 or 40 mins. Didn't like the lift from 2001 either. But the latter half with Gosling somewhat makes up for the beginning. His musical number was fantastic.

Aspects of it reminded me of Pleasantville, PeeWee Herman's Big Adventure, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I kinda liked the movie but can only give it a fair rating. The Mattel and chase subplot was superfluous and detracting coupled with the slow start needed rework. Could have used better focus and editing. Overall Mixed.

I originally answered that I hadn't seen Barbie but planned to see it. We did go see it recently. I actually loved the movie. Was it perfect? No. But to me it sort of did a good job and showing the appeal of Barbie (the doll), while talking about how unrealistic this is compared to the real world, addressing Mattel shortcomings (surprised Mattel allowed so much honestly), and explaining why the real world is preferable to Barbieland.

I originally answered that I hadn't seen Barbie but planned to see it. We did go see it recently. I actually loved the movie. Was it perfect? No. But to me it sort of did a good job and showing the appeal of Barbie (the doll), while talking about how unrealistic this is compared to the real world, addressing Mattel shortcomings (surprised Mattel allowed so much honestly), and explaining why the real world is preferable to Barbieland.

In the real world the real Mattel has women on the BOD. It’s not all idiot white guys with a token minority as in the movie. But, Mattel did poke a lot of fun at themselves, and I am sure they will laugh about it all the way to the bank.

I liked the movie. It was fun to watch with lots of funny satire comparing Barbieland to the real world.

They handled the inventor of Barbie, Ruth Handler, very well.

https://www.famous-entrepreneurs.com/ruth-handler

Gal wanted to see Barbie, and it was National Movie day on August 27th, so $4 tickets. Very few people in the small town theater for the 2PM showing, no stylers in pink. There were a few funny bits, and it did give us something to talk about: Gal is no stranger to sexist behavior. Don't think either of us bought in to the seeming battle of the sexes bit; we both think we're stronger together than as two individuals. At $4 a much better value than Oppenheimer at $13.25 back in May and probably more enjoyable.

on the what?

I think he meant Board of Directors, but it could be Bad Old Days, Belgian Opera Divas, Blades of Damnation, Blood of Diamonds, Bicycles on Demand or something else entirely.

Last edited:
Plenty of laughs. I walked away thinking, "Surface fluff, with a lot more underneath - unlike Barbie herself."

My date wondered whether there'd be a sequel, but I think the ending pretty much puts paid to that idea.

Ryan Gosling is not my favorite actor - I feel like he phones in his performances - but as Ken, his bland face was just right.

I agree about the need for better editing.

Just saw it today - it is slow to start - a tedious first 30 or 40 mins. Didn't like the lift from 2001 either. But the latter half with Gosling somewhat makes up for the beginning. His musical number was fantastic.

Aspects of it reminded me of Pleasantville, PeeWee Herman's Big Adventure, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I kinda liked the movie but can only give it a fair rating. The Mattel and chase subplot was superfluous and detracting coupled with the slow start needed rework. Could have used better focus and editing. Overall Mixed.

I think he meant Board of Directors, but it could be Bad Old Days, Belgian Opera Divas, Blades of Damnation, Blood of Diamonds, Bicycles on Demand or something else entirely.

When I was in college, BOD = Body. "She has a nice BOD" comes to mind, but YMMV.

Returning you now...

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't see it on our list of acronyms & when I googled it, all I found was Biochemical Oxygen Demand.

Moral: If you're not sure it will be recognized, spell it out.

Come on, ya'll.

When you think "Barbie," you typically don't think of a bunch of people sitting around a conference table doing business as a Board Of Directors.

You think of the shape, the bod(y).

Oh, never mind...:LOL:

Come on, ya'll.

When you think "Barbie," you typically don't think of a bunch of people sitting around a conference table doing business as a Board Of Directors.

You think of the shape, the bod(y).

Oh, never mind...:LOL:

I still think of all those Barbies - with their heads and legs pulled off. YMMV

"Barbie" is now streaming on MAX

Barbie is streaming on MAX as of about a week ago.

We get MAX as part of a grandfathered deal of AT&T internet. So DW and I figured, why not? Let's watch. I originally answered "no plans," but this is free to me. I'm still waiting for Openheimer to drop somewhere, but apparently the movie makers are not budging on that yet. No Barbenheimer for us yet.

As someone with conservative leanings, I'm supposed to hate this, right? No, I enjoyed the movie, probably more than DW. Best movie ever? No. But it had its moments. It was great to see color in a movie again. Gerwig's direction was good, her director of photography even better. Wow, DP's still exist that know how to use lighting and post production properly.

And of course there is eye candy for everyone. :)

I was actually hooked in the first 2 minutes with the 2001 reference. I'm a huge Kubrick fan and loved that scene. Upthread it appears others disagree. That's fine. It turns out since this is a Warner Bros. production, Gerwig was free to use the original film backgrounds as is with the girls and dolls transferred in. Nice job!

The board room is a joke, ya'll. I've read elsewhere of the many people who turned it off in a huff once the board room is shown. Jeez, it is over-the-top stereotyping, made for laughs with a poke at a message. Relax. This board room is also another Kubrick nod to the "War Room" in Dr. Strangelove, which is just as absurd and made for a joke.

Other fun old movie references: The Matrix, Being There, The Shining and inspiration from grand dance movies of the 30s and 40s. There are others I missed.

Everyone gets a chance to get poked at, whether it be dumb blonds, beer guzzling guys, sullen teens who dress like hobos, and so on. In the end, the point is made with the term "patriarchy" used way too many times. We got it the first time, OK? You over-did it and bored us out of our minds in the last 10 minutes. So yeah, I found something to dislike, but it isn't a killer for me. I'm a man, I can handle it. :LOL:

Last edited:
Barbie is streaming on MAX as of about a week ago.
Everyone gets a chance to get poked at, whether it be dumb blonds, beer guzzling guys, sullen teens who dress like hobos, and so on. In the end, the point is made with the term "patriarchy" used way too many times. We got it the first time, OK? You over-did it and bored us out of our minds in the last 10 minutes. So yeah, I found something to dislike, but it isn't a killer for me. I'm a man, I can handle it. :LOL:

Yeah there were some very funny parts. This isn't the sort of thing I would usually watch but I don't understand the folks that are afraid of the movie.

Yeah, there are so many good movies I still need to watch, hate to waste my time watching crap like Barbie. Maybe if the mood just hits me out of curiosity.

I watched Barbie on my return flight to the US from Munich on this week. I couldn't find anything else that I wanted to watch, so I thought I'd check it out.

My opinion: It was better than it should have been. But I won't need to see it a second time.

Plenty of movies I don't want to watch that others love. Plenty I would watch a dozen times that many others think are silly.

But what I wouldn't do is come into a thread trashing something I've no intention of watching, as if to pass judgment on the content and that that want to see it.

You have your fun, I have mine. But I don't come and dump on yours. You clicked this thread just to dump? Isn't that a waste of time...

Back
Top Bottom