Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Did not like/hated it

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Have not seen but plan too

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • Never plan to see

Votes: 137 61.4%

• Total voters
I doubt we’re the target audience and your poll seems to agree. I can’t imagine why you went. Did you go see Taylor Swift too, even more hype…

I just don't understand the hype for this type of entertainment unless you have young kids in the house?

So this reminded me, Tyra Banks did a made for TV movie (had to look it up), in 2000 "Life Size", where she is a Barbie-type doll that comes to life. The kids were watching it, and I multi-tasked while on the computer. One line I remember, really cracked me up:

She's at a party, and someone asks her what she does for a living, and she responds: "It depends what I'm wearing." :)

"She's Everything...": Here's A List Of Every Single Job Barbie Has Ever Had

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexalisitza/list-every-job-barbie-had

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200809/characters/nm0004723

life_size_tyra_banks.jpg

-ERD50

Not yet but I’ll see it. Come on Barbie, let’s go party. I can use my points from Drop app and get a free pass to the AMC movies. I always watch movies for free.

DW and I saw Oppenheimer , and enjoyed it. I read it's earned $500 million so far. My son-in-law just saw Barbie............with my 9 year old granddaughter. I haven't asked him, yet, his opinion but granddaughter loved it. Barbie has topped $1 billon earnings so far.

The Barbie movie seems to have brought out a lot of glamorous young women dressed in well fitting pink clothing, lots of well applied make-up and platform high heals. Socks, hair items, and even work out bands accent the pink. Not that I have noticed.

Last edited:
Watched them on successive nights last week. Barbie seems to be bringing out the chick in females. Sort of women's lib without the butches. But very over-hyped.

Oppenheimer was a drudge. Long, tedious, and inaccurate.

I would not recommend either to this audience.

I went to the Barbie movie. I enjoyed it and plan to go see it again. It had a number of hilarious moments, but it also addressed super-serious issues that women face, not in a way to cause despair, but also not glossing over them or pretending they don't exist.

I'm not sure about the guy parts of it, whether they touched real issues for men or not. OTOH Ken was so hot. ha ha

DW wants to go . . . I'm a good husband, so I'll probably go. I'm not wearing pink though.

That was me a couple weeks ago. I thought it was mostly silly, with a few funny bits.
A few weeks before that, we saw the new Indiana Jones movie which many reviewers panned. That one was great!
Probably our first time in a couple decades that we watched two movies within a month in the theaters.

Important edit: When I said that was me a couple weeks ago, I was referring to the good husband bit. I didn’t wear pink.

Last edited:
I had a bunch of my daughter's old Barbie stuff listed for sale on eBay several months ago. Probably had 12 different listings of items.

Only sold one item over 4 months. All of a sudden I sold 6 items in about 2 weeks. [emoji848]

Then my wife said she had tickets to go see the Barbie movie with our daughter.

That's when the light bulb went off. [emoji1787]

Last edited:
I always thought Ryan Gosling who plays Ken is a hoot, so I will eventually watch Barbie, probably at home. I did go to the IMAX theatre to see Oppenheimer, but the seats were so uncomfortable for a short person that the head rest bent my head forward in a painful position. I spent the first hour squirming to get comfortable, failed miserably, and eventually curled up in a ball and fell asleep. DH kept looking at me 3 times in disbelief that I was sleeping. I have always enjoyed Nolan’s movies, but I couldn’t tolerate the seats for a 3 hour movie.

So what about the theory that Sasha and her friends are a reference to the Bratz dolls?

The 25 minutes of previews was PAINFUL. That alone will keep me out of a theater for a long while.
Barbie was ok....some of the message rings true, but a bit too harsh on the guys for me. My DH got some good laughs, he's pretty easy going.

We just watched it at the matinee today. I thought it was clever and amusing. And the Kens all got to do a really great dance number.

Last edited:
i LOVED IT! I got the point of it, and enjoyed the happy, bright, fake visual atmosphere of it. I'm the in the exact demographics of it, as I am someone who was totally addicted to playing with Barbies. So, I got it...I loved it...

Our youngest was into Barbie dolls. Most of them ended up with the arms, legs and head pulled off. We were slightly disturbed at first, but the little one explained that it was much easier to dress her Barbie dolls with the arms and legs removed - to be attached later.

Okay...

I always thought Ryan Gosling who plays Ken is a hoot, so I will eventually watch Barbie, probably at home. I did go to the IMAX theatre to see Oppenheimer, but the seats were so uncomfortable for a short person that the head rest bent my head forward in a painful position. I spent the first hour squirming to get comfortable, failed miserably, and eventually curled up in a ball and fell asleep. DH kept looking at me 3 times in disbelief that I was sleeping. I have always enjoyed Nolan’s movies, but I couldn’t tolerate the seats for a 3 hour movie.

Any 2.5 hour or more movie, we pay extra to see it at the theater with the almost lying down seats.

I never liked Barbies growing up even though I was the right age at the right time. Just not my cup of tea. I didn't even particularly want to go to the movie.

But, I loved it. It was fun but also had a lot of good messages. Not sure what specific monologue the OP was referring to, but I thought the now oft cited monologue by Gloria (America Ferrera) was worth the whole movie. It was that good and that spot on. I can understand why it appeals more to women than men. Women have simply lived that monologue and men, while they have their own societal stereotypes to put up with (i.e. uh, yes, it was okay for Ken to cry...) simply haven't experienced the challenges that women experience.

Thumbs up to Barbie! And the soundtrack is good too...

Well, the vast majority do not plan on seeing it ever... not a big surprise..

Seems a lot more liked it than not...

Sitting through the Barbie movie or having my fingernails yanked out with pliers?

Tough choice, but I'll have to go with the fingernails thingy.

Sitting through the Barbie movie or having my fingernails yanked out with pliers?

Tough choice, but I'll have to go with the fingernails thingy.
If you didn't sit through the Barbie movie and have your fingernails yanked out, how could you know?

The people I know who didn’t like Barbie are all conservatives (ie, my fundamentalist relatives) or men. Hits too close to home I think. Barbie fever and women wearing pink outfits to the show reminds me a bit of the #MeToo movement and the pink hats.

The people I know who didn’t like Barbie are all conservatives (ie, my fundamentalist relatives) or men. Hits too close to home I think. Barbie fever and women wearing pink outfits to the show reminds me a bit of the #MeToo movement and the pink hats.

Did the haters actually watch it or did they decide in advance that they wouldn't like it. I am male and I enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom