Poll:Do you make your bed every day?

Does your bed get made every day?

• Yes

Votes: 193 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 105 35.2%

• Total voters
I would never go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink! It would draw bugs.

I have to make it quickly before our cat wanders back in. If DH makes it- I go in & fix it a bit later. I have mild ocd, I think.

My Mom always had us make our beds (and I guess she still could judge me since she is still around. On the other hand, my Mom taught me & DH her retirement motto, which is, "Never do today what can be put off until tomorrow". :dance:

Yes, I make the bed everyday. Well, most of it. I make my half nice and straight and smooth with a crease at the bottom of the pillow. DH sleeps later than me and leaves his side all undone with his CPAP stuff all over his pillow. So after he gets up I make his side nice and straight and smooth except for the pillow part. I'm not dealing with his CPAP stuff. I also use a CPAP but when I get up I wrap up the gear and set it in it's place.

I make the bed because DH uses the bed to drop off stuff like dirty socks, new treasures from the thrift stores, something he brought up from the basement or the mail, even if it's a box that was left outside on the ground. And he puts these things on my side of the bed.

Would DH notice if I stopped making the bed? I doubt it. An unmade bed to me is noticeable. But DH is clutter blind. I try to think of it as endearing.

I don't want to start a new thread but I'm curious how many people go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink.

Never. We have a new kitchen that we both love so much. The new dishwasher is wonderful. It's possible I'd leave a roasting pan soaking overnight if it needed it.

Last edited:
I don't want to start a new thread but I'm curious how many people go to bed with dirty dishes in the sink.

Not here. I like walking into a clean kitchen in the morning.

I thought of one other time when I do make the bed, besides on laundry or nosey company days: Before we go on a trip. I like to clean the house and make the bed so we come home to a tidy place. It's nice to come home to a neat nest, and it gives us a clean slate for the gear explosion that usually happens when we get back.

depends on who slept in it during the night and what they wore... or didn't wear... :)

+1 on Bill McCraven’s “first task of the day done”. Last one up makes the bed, including DW’s decorative pillows.

It takes a minute or two to make the bed. I feel better for it, so I do it every morning shortly after rising.
Yes it's a routine for me, and I feel better if I walk in the room and my bed looks nice! I'm not retired yet, and I'm sure after retirement, I will probably still make my bed up every day.

The bed always gets made even if DW is away. I like the clean, organized, tidy look it gives the room and leaves me with a satisfied feeling. When I see an unmade bed it makes me feel like a lazy, uncaring, slob. I wouldn't go out in public with unkempt clothes, a filthy, dirty car or have a porch or yard filled with junk. I guess it is just a pride issue.

The bed always gets made even if DW is away. I like the clean, organized, tidy look it gives the room and leaves me with a satisfied feeling. When I see an unmade bed it makes me feel like a lazy, uncaring, slob. I wouldn't go out in public with unkempt clothes, a filthy, dirty car or have a porch or yard filled with junk. I guess it is just a pride issue.
I love your response!

What's the definition of "make your bed?" If it mean rearranging the covers and pillows, then yes. If it means making it look like a fresh hotel bed, absolutely not.

Short video of a Navy SEAL Admiral explaining why it's important to make your bed every morning. He gave this speech at a graduation ceremony. I found it helpful when speaking to young people about motivation. I personally have always made my bed after joining the military right out of high school.

https://youtu.be/KgzLzbd-zT4

Actually, I've been taking afternoon naps and I always cover the sheets with the blanket before I lay on it with my clothes. I use to get in my sleepwear before napping in bed but allowing myself to skip that step made things easier.

Decades ago, the decision to start leaving dishes in the sink instead of washing them all no matter how tired I was significantly improved my quality of life. The middle ground would have been not to wait until the very end of the day to wash them all but to this day I'm not good at doing that.

I was a military brat and was taught how to properly make a bed earlier than I can remember. Mine gets made properly everyday. It is part of the morning ritual.

I was a military brat and was taught how to properly make a bed earlier than I can remember. Mine gets made properly everyday. It is part of the morning ritual.
Can you make a Youtube video on that? I bet you make your bed really fast. I throw the blanket/sheet over the pillow then look at it for a minute to decide whether a spider could get in there.

Can you make a Youtube video on that? I bet you make your bed really fast. I throw the blanket/sheet over the pillow then look at it for a minute to decide whether a spider could get in there.

I am Mr. Speedy and a dime tossed onto the top blanket will bounce. As to a YouTube video, I'll give it some thought.

Can't use a comforter if you need a bounce. But that raises another question about who uses bed spreads.

I feel sorry for those in the military who make (or made) their beds every day. ADM McRaven's speech has traumatized hundreds of thousands of families all over America.

C'mon, folks, bed-making is simply a metaphor for standardization and attention to detail in the things that matter. Just about any other habit will suffice for that metaphor, and (for example) regularly brushing or flossing your teeth has a lot more health benefit than making your bed.

On my first submarine, a ballistic missile boat, I made my bed once per patrol: when we took over the boat from the other crew. After I got the hospital corners tight, I'd sleep on top of the spread under a blanket, or a sleeping bag, or a [-]woobie[/-] poncho liner. Those were regularly stowed after reveille (and regularly laundered), but the bed linens remained undisturbed.

Once during the Halfway Night of a 90-day patrol, some miscreant prankster short-sheeted my bed. I didn't notice it until more than six weeks later after we'd returned to port and stripped the linens for laundry/turnover.

That bed made a great first impression, but if I got a leadership compliment about it then it was hard to keep a smirk off my face.

On my second submarine, a fast attack, I made the bed once-- period. It stayed that way for nearly 31 months, until I stripped the linens so that my relief could move into it.

I've been retired for over 18 years. Now I only make the bed upon occasional house-cleaning house-guest hosting request from my spouse, which works out to about 2-3 times per year.

I sure hope someone from McRaven's household carries out random unannounced spot checks of his bed-making habits.

Last edited:
Hah! I did exactly the same all through USNA and onboard my two boats - make the bed once and then sleep on top of the covers. Brush a hand over it in the morning to remove wrinkles. Stow the blanket.

C'mon, folks, bed-making is simply a metaphor for standardization and attention to detail in the things that matter. Just about any other habit will suffice for that metaphor, and (for example) regularly brushing or flossing your teeth has a lot more health benefit than making your bed.

+1

I think it may be better to leave the bed unmade so the bedding can dry out. Especially after hot nights and if you sweat a lot (as with hot flashes for example).

But then I suppose that leaves sheets exposed to dust. Wonder if there are issues with that? Perhaps someone should do a study...

That's much like this magic coffee table:

We joke, in our house, about the magic sink. For me- it's that it turns from empty to full of dirty dishes. My husband and sons joke that they put dirty dishes in the sink and they magically get loaded into the dishwasher or handwashed. We all think it's magic. Their magic sink is better than my magic sink.

Ugh!!!

Back
Top Bottom