Poll: Does Anyone Smoke Cigarettes Anymore?

Do you Smoke Cigarettes?

• Yes

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • No

Votes: 292 95.4%

• Total voters
I’ll never forget the impact on me in junior high when a teacher brought in a slice of a lung from a smoker and a slice of lung from a non smoker. I harassed my parents to no end to stop smoking. DF quit, but DM couldn’t quit until she died. At least she knew better than to smoke in front of me.

DW smoked all her adult life....up until a few years ago when the COPD became very bad. Now she is carrying around a 5 pound oxygen concentrator. She still has the urges for a smoke..but doesn't (to my knowledge, anyway).

Almost Twenty

August 29 will mark my twentieth anniversary from smoking. I know the "sticky" said that cigars did not count. Let me tell you my story.
When I smoked cigars I smoked about 10 per day. I inhaled the smoke just as if I was smoking a cigarette. When I decided to quit, I made up my mind to quit cold turkey. I had always heard that when a person quit smoking, the withdrawal from nicotine would make a person cranky for a couple of weeks. When I quit smoking cigars I was a total @ss for a couple of months. I could not have ever believed that quitting would change my mentality that much. At any rate I put smoking products ( and all nicotine for that matter) on a mental list of poisons never to be touched my me again. It has worked very well for me.
Another poster mentioned that they were somewhat allergic to smoke. Now that I have quit smoking for many years, I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke anymore. And to think that I used to like those dark and smoky bars. Now, I too hold my breath when I come out of walmart as the employees stand outside the door and smoke. I cannot imagine that walmart is ok with that but hey, smoking is now banned in most all places nowadays and that is a pretty good start. I am sure that we all can remember the "non-smoking" section in the restaurants of yesteryear here in the good ole USofA, and how they were so ineffective as the smoke would drift all through the place. I always copped an attitude when someone would light up if I was still eating. I do not miss those days. Give me smoke free anytime. :clap:

I think our country has had a change in perception. Smoking used to be considered "cool" now, not so much. It is a habit of the lower class. I just sold an auto repair shop in a low income area. All my employees and most of my customers smoked. On the other side of town at my buddies nice shop it was rare to see anyone light up.

i just retired from the transportation (trucking) industry as a maintenance shop supervisor. For every one hundred employees, 99 of them smoked and about 75 to 100 percent of them chain smoked, especially in the company of fellow smokers.

Hey today is the 18th anniversary of my quitting cigarettes!

Nearly 30 years after quitting, I still occasionally have dreams about smoking "just one" cigarette, going to the store to buy a pack to have "just one more"; then repeating until I realize, oh crap, I'm hooked again. What a relief to wake up from that dream!

RE: Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Just to alert everyone especially men: if you have ever smoked (as little as a total of 100 cigarettes in your lifetime) you should get screened for abdominal aortic aneurysm. Medicare will usually cover it but if not you can get it done for a reasonable price by one of those mobile package deal screening outfits that you often see ads for.

This is the first that I had heard of this. Thanks for the share. Here is a link to the Medicare website.

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/ab-aortic-aneurysm-screening.html

Does Anyone Smoke Cigarettes Anymore?

Yes I see young women smoking cigarettes. One once told me it was to keep slim.

Young men mostly stuff themselves with snuff pads. Atleast here in the Scandiwegian Countries.

Never thought smoking was cool. As a kid, having to inhale my dad's smoke in the car and look at an ashtray full of cigarette butts on the table after dinner eliminated any possibility of me smoking. He eventually died of lung cancer.

His mom (my grandmother) was a lifelong smoker, who, in addition to emphysema had two surgeries for brain cancer. She was bedridden but still asked my grandfather to light cigs and put up to her mouth, as she had lost motor control.

He was a nonsmoker but also succumbed to cancer. He also worked in the coal mines and had black lung.

No smoking for me, and that includes "wacky terbacky".

Still see teenagers starting. Hope I see the end of new smokers during my lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom