Poll: Early-Retirement.Org Member Demographics

What Stage of Retirement are you in?

• ER Wanna Be, working on it.

Votes: 79 27.0%
  • Comfortably in ER.

Votes: 160 54.6%
  • Was ER'd but now in Retirement (65 or over).

Votes: 54 18.4%

• Total voters
Using the app or browser? I’m on my iPad and can see the poll option just fine.
This has been problematic. I'm on android/app and can never see polls. Sometimes I used to be able to say open this in a web browser and get a browser experience on droid. Then it went away and just opens the thread in the app. Probably a setting somewhere, I just haven't seen it.

Here's how you can see the desktop version of a site in the Safari browser on an iPhone:

• Tap and hold the Refresh button in the URL bar.
  • Tap Request Desktop Site.
  • The website will then reload as its desktop version.

I would guess there's something similar on a droid.

Decided to retire at 58 in 2009 when the start up company I worked for went bankrupt, but did a little (very little) part-time consulting for a few years. It was more as a favor to the original engineering group of that start up company that successfully resurrected the project.

Just passed the ninth year in September. All have been great, and looking forward to many more ..

FI at 52, but not ER...hopefully next year! The market's precipitous drop today has given me pause.

Retired at age 47. Six years into and loving it.

-gauss

Retired from megacorp in 2008 at 50. Worked a part time seasonal tax job for a few years. DW continues to work part time bringing in some money, so we're not completely retired (as a couple), but close.

Interesting so far that 30% of members a Wannabe ER. folk (FIREd). Hopefully they get some good pointers from the rest of us.

Retired at 56 am now 70. I’m starting to think I dodged the sequence of returns risk but...

Still in the game at 50'ish.

Hoping to get out in 2022.

I earn a pretty decent income and am finding it hard to walk away from that. I am working less though so there is hope for me.

One dream is working part-time, not for the money, but just for the social side. Bar-tending or something like that.

We shall see....

How about one more category: Could RE, but haven't pulled trigger

{raises hand}

How about one more category: Could RE, but haven't pulled trigger

{raises hand}

The object was to see who actually had vs who has retired completely (Post 65) and who has not and are still working, (Wannabe) very loosely of course. I would say you fall into wannabe as you are still w*rking. It was not intended as a "Who could if they wanted to poll".

This poll discriminates against the semi-retired !!! :D

I am offended.

I will now retire to my safe space. My easy chair here in front of the fire.

Now, where did I put my emotional support squirrel ?

Retired at 50 in 2000. But now 68, so I can't call myself ER'ed:confused:

Retired at 50 in 2000. But now 68, so I can't call myself ER'ed:confused:

So you are fully retired now, by conventional standards. As mentioned in the original post, the comments were intended to explain one's own scenario if one wished to. You did that. Not sure why this is so hard to understand, it was not intended to be. Simply a poll of the current time snapshot.

Interesting to see that about 70% of us are actually retired. Lots of real world experience. Much higher percent than at Money Mustache.

The name of the Forum "Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community" Loosely implies that the members are ER's and FI, or at least FIREd at some point before being "Officially" retired by conventional standards (65 and not w*rking). However, like anything else, it is subject to one's own interpretation. I think MMM is geared towards Wannabes, vs ERF is geared towards and frequented by those who already are, either conventionally or ER'd. At least that is my interpretation. I think I was right as 70% of us are.

Very comfortably ERd. Even though I was pretty good (I thought) about planning for ER during my w**king days, our various pensions/SS are paying off a lot more of our monthly needs than I had anticipated. (oops, my bad!). Income streams pay 100%+ of our expenses, leaving investment income for fun $.

I love it when a plan comes together+.

If we took SS (Both of us), which we have not yet. It would cover all our basic expenses. Home upkeep (Insurance, Utilities, Taxes etc.). It "May" also cover our Healthcare and food, but only just.

I guess that is not so bad, as our nest egg would return 4 x our combined SS checks. That is calculated over 30 years with no interest or capital gain. If it averages 3%, that would be extra. 60% of Nest Egg is in Non Qualified funds.

Back
Top Bottom