Poll - One Week to go, Are Your Taxes Done?

Are Your Taxes Done and Submitted?

• Yes

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 24.9%
  • Not Applicable - not required to file

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not yet. Just got notice two days ago from my former employer that they screwed up the K-1 I received two weeks ago. Now waiting for corrected version. Irritating, but thankfully I hadn't filed yet.

I agree on the situation that you describe... it has been assessed in 2017 and is similar to the first example. I think that CitizenK is referring to a situation more like the second example... like if in 2017 you paid not only the amount due in April 2018 but also, on the come, estimates of the amounts due in November 2018 and April 2019 and expected to be able to deduct them all in 2017.

Taxes paid before assessment are probably not deductible. But had I paid them, I certainly would deduct them.

Done, started Monday, took about two hours start to finish. Paid small amount (lowest in my entire life!).

Nope - have a massive, 5-figure check to write due to a merger of a company who's stock we owned. Turns out that's a TAXABLE event. Not in a hurry to see TurboTax spin it's little slot machine dial..and spin..and spin..and spin...until it stops at a very large number.

Will write the largest Fed tax check we've EVER had this year.

Something to be said for not making "too much" money.

I used to do my own taxes, had accounting and tax studies in Bizneyland. Got involved in an Oil&Gas partnership several years ago. Reporting for it was too much for me and TurboTax. Now I just put all tax related stuff in a file and send it to the CPA in March. Finalize it late summer.

One of the chores that I feel life is too short to get frustrated by. I gladly pay the CPA so I don't have to do it myself.

I sent in amended returns yesterday morning as Congress didn't pass education and energy credits until late February. Thankfully, TT sent me an e-mail alerting me that we needed to do this.

Thus, Awaiting refund #2.

Done, e-filed, have large payments and estimated taxes set up through EFTPS and the CA FTB sites,
One of the big taxable events for me is my RMD! I will be doing a lot of QCD's this year as my RMD is going to be $14 K higher than last year

Last edited:
Extensions filed.

Since I always get corrected forms for my investments well after mid-April.

:dance: :LOL: :facepalm: Paid more in Fed and State taxes this year than my yearly expenses of ER twenty plus years ago. Over 70 1/2 - me and the tax folks are just the 'best of pals'.

heh heh heh - :cool:

All done except for the 6 grand to the Feds and the 7 grand to CA.

You don't have to send much dough for the house, but they get ya on the income.

Forms all filled out but since I have to send the Treasury a check, I wait until the last minute.

You can efile early but pay later by the deadline . That’s what we do.

TurboTax will print a separate voucher for payment, but we schedule electronic transfer via eftps.

E-filed and accepted on Feb 16th. IRS pulled what I owed (low 4 figures) from my bank on Feb 20.

Why did you have to pay early? I guess that’s the consequence of having your bank info on your 1040 form rather than using a system like eftps.

I paid early because I forgot to make my January estimated payment, so I was underpaid. I paid it right away to avoid or reduce any underpayment penalties.

Back
Top Bottom