Post-flu shot illness

I always get a flu shot and normally have one day of feeling a bit fatigued afterwards. This year I ran a low grade fever and was very achy for a few days. Now, about a week later, I had a sinus headache (now better) for 4 days, a low grade fever, spots on my legs that are crusted over and inflamed and I basically feel like I was hit by a bus.

Of course I don't think I have the flu but I do feel like my immune system didn't react the same as in the past from the shot allowing all these other issues to crop up. My doctor is treating me symptom by symptom right now and is most worried about cellulitis developing on my legs (it looks like I'm halfway there already). Also, oddly I have had a low positive ANA test for two years but last week the ANA test was turned negative. No other medical conditions at all. Healthy as can be at least until last week.

Just wondering if anyone else got other illnesses immediately after the flu shot (again, I know it's not the flu).

Thanks for sharing your story, as it helps me not bother DW about getting a flu shot. DW has never had a flu shot, and declined again to get this year. I'm not pressing her because there is the consideration if she had a bad reaction to the shot, this winter is not a good time to have to go to the Dr. or hospital with bad reactions to a person's first flu shot. (plus she won't be leaving the house much this winter).

Timely subject here. I can't imagine what my outbreaks would be like if I didn't have the shingles vaccines.

I'm having a tiny nascent shingle occurrence as I type. I first had Shingles the same month I turned 60 (now 67). I had the old shingles shot immediately after that outbreak subsided. I was shingles free the next year, but each year after that there were tiny little shingles trying to pop into the world on my shins and feet. But they never were full blown. Each year they were a little stronger. Year 5 my doctor said the original vaccine only lasted 5 years but there was a new vaccine. So I have both of the new shots. But this weekend the tiny little attempted shingles dots are back, and itchy. Yikes.

Are you absolutely certain what you are experiencing is shingles? Sounds like something else to me - but then I'm no MD.

If you had Shingles you can still get it over and over again. I had Shingles 3 times, finally got the 2 Shingrix shots and I have not had Shingles since. You need to get the Shingrix shot even if you had Shingles before.

I know. Dr said chance is 1-3% and of course the vaccine not 100 pct effective. So that's why I am not rushing.

Last edited:
Are you absolutely certain what you are experiencing is shingles? Sounds like something else to me - but then I'm no MD.

Good question. I asked myself that too. But the pattern and nerve pain fit the pattern of all the other times that my doctor confirmed.

I know. Dr said chance is 1-3% and of course the vaccine not 100 pct effective. So that's why I am not rushing.

The new Shingrix shot is 97% effective which is great effectiveness for a vaccine.
My doctor told me there is a 5% chance of getting shingles a second time for most people. For people with a severe case of Shingles (like I had) there is a higher chance of getting shingles a second time--about 10%. Having had Shingles 3 times I was very grateful for the Shingrix vaccine and I would have paid almost any amount of money to get it.

The new Shingrix shot is 97% effective which is great effectiveness for a vaccine.
My doctor told me there is a 5% chance of getting shingles a second time for most people. For people with a severe case of Shingles (like I had) there is a higher chance of getting shingles a second time--about 10%. Having had Shingles 3 times I was very grateful for the Shingrix vaccine and I would have paid almost any amount of money to get it.

Those are some of the reasons I am not rushing to get it.

Flu shot 6 days ago, no soreness or anything.

Shingrix was different. Chills and fever.

Good friend of ours had the flu shot and shingles vaccine given to her at the same time (pharmacist said it was fine to do this). She spent the next couple days in bed with chills and fever, presumably due to the shingles vaccine. After that she developed congestion in her lungs, which she says is still there a month after getting both shots. Of course it cannot be proven that either shot was responsible for these things, but she felt fine until getting both shots.

Those are some of the reasons I am not rushing to get it.

You lost me. harllee said

Originally Posted by harllee View Post

harllee's quote sounds like a good reason to get the vaccine. What am I missing?

You lost me. harllee said

Originally Posted by harllee View Post

harllee's quote sounds like a good reason to get the vaccine. What am I missing?

I do not think you are missing anything. Getting the vaccine is recommended. But the benefit is clearest for those who have never had shingles. It is just math.

My case was not severe (unlike Harlee's), my chance of re-contracting shingles is low and the vaccine is not 100 percent effective. The sources I found placed it at 90 percent, and that effectiveness fades with time. If you accept it is 97 percent effective and if you accept my chance of recontracting shingles is 1-3% as my doctor said then, I am already enjoying the benefits of a "vaccine" by having already had a typical case of shingles.

So I may get the vaccine, but I am not rushing as I said.

Got the flu shot two weeks ago at Kaiser. No side effects this year.

Prior years I’ve had a low grade headache and felt lethargic for a couple days after. I was working back then so maybe the headache and lethargy were a reaction to working and not the flu shot? Just thinking.

OP poster here. Thought I'd give a quick update. My symptoms continued to progress and I developed cellulitis. Topical and oral antibiotics didn't work and the infection became severe. I was then put on a 7 day course of IV antibiotics which I just finished. I was also tested for COVID (negative) and DVT (also negative). The DVT test was due to severe muscle pain in my calf. Plus somehow they blew out a vein and then I developed a compressed nerve in that area.

Ironically despite the severity of my illness my blood work continued to look great even with a fever, unrelenting headaches, and patches of cellulitis on multiple locations on my legs. We had more discussions on why my blood work looks so good but how my body reacts to things (I get very sick, quickly) and of course, nothing was resolved.

One good thing came out of all of that 'fun'. I am 100% sure I am ready to retire. I have about 30 weeks left before I can FIRE with full benefits. It's time to focus on me and my health. It's amazing how quickly things can get serious and scary and I'd like to know I can focus on being healthy without worrying about returning to a j*b, how much PTO I have left to take, etc.

thanks for the update. Glad you are on the mend, but sorry you went through that illness.
Good to focus on health and your upcoming retirement !

Regarding the Shingrix vaccine, this is from the CDC site:

"Shingrix provides strong protection against herpes zoster and PHN. Two doses of Shingrix are more than 90% effective at preventing herpes zoster and PHN. Protection stays above 85% for at least the first four years after vaccination. Shingrix is the preferred herpes zoster vaccine, over Zostavax.
.....Zostavax will no longer be sold in the United States starting July 1, 2020. Some pharmacies and clinics may still have Zostavax in stock. This vaccine is safe and may be used until the supply expires (before or by November 18, 2020)."

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/hcp/clinical-overview.html

I do not think you are missing anything. Getting the vaccine is recommended. But the benefit is clearest for those who have never had shingles. It is just math.

My case was not severe (unlike Harlee's), my chance of re-contracting shingles is low and the vaccine is not 100 percent effective. The sources I found placed it at 90 percent, and that effectiveness fades with time. If you accept it is 97 percent effective and if you accept my chance of recontracting shingles is 1-3% as my doctor said then, I am already enjoying the benefits of a "vaccine" by having already had a typical case of shingles.

So I may get the vaccine, but I am not rushing as I said.

I guess I'm letting my DW's shingles attack affect my viewpoint. I agree you need to do what's right for you. Once I saw DW's shingles, my decision was clear - for me but not for anyone else.:greetings10: YMMV

Had the SR mega-dose shot 10 days ago. No reaction. But then have never had a flu shot reaction.

OP poster here. Thought I'd give a quick update. My symptoms continued to progress and I developed cellulitis. Topical and oral antibiotics didn't work and the infection became severe. I was then put on a 7 day course of IV antibiotics which I just finished. I was also tested for COVID (negative) and DVT (also negative). The DVT test was due to severe muscle pain in my calf. Plus somehow they blew out a vein and then I developed a compressed nerve in that area.

OMG, that's scary, just from a flu shot!

I never had it but my husband gets it every year with no issues.

I had it a couple weeks ago and no issues at all. Barely even had a sore arm.

Then I even volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19, I got the one apparently made by a Russian Pharmaceutical company.
I received my first shot and wanted to let you know that it’s completely safe with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

Then I even volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19, I got the one apparently made by a Russian Pharmaceutical company.
I received my first shot and wanted to let you know that it’s completely safe with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι χoρoshό я чувствую себя немного странно и я думаю, что вытащил ослиные уши.

Drink some vodka, I understand that helps the side effects

Each year's flu shot is different. It is made for the specific strain of flu that is expected that year.

I got my flu shot and shingles #1 in mid-Sept. The flu shot arm was a bit more sore than most years.

I seem to be one of the reactive ones.

I got my first flu shot today. I'm only 60, so they gave me the regular dose. My arm ached for about an hour. Just when I thought that would be it, my throat started to feel odd when I swallow. It's evening, and I have a dry cough and feel drowsy. Sometimes I feel a weird quiver all over, as if my whole body is freaking out. Tomorrow should be fun.

It's good to know that for most people, it's no problem.

Sounds like me

The first two I ever got probably 20 years ago made me full fledged sick shortly thereafter. I haven't gotten any since and don't plan to. I have to say when I do get sinus or respiratory illness it's a 10-15 day affair and pretty debilitating. I think I have an overactive immune system, but that's self-diagnosis and I'm not a doctor LOL.

This year I had mine at Kaiser and had a very sore arm, and extreme fatigue for two days. Then it was gone!

Got my flu shot this morning, hardly noticed it. Twelve hours later, my arm feels like somebody punched me hard there. I also have sore sinuses, which I thought was from acid reflux from eating spaghetti sauce. Now, I'm wondering if it's part of my flu shot reaction.

I've heard that roughly 5% are showing up with the ears. In Siberia, no one will care. Success.

I got my first flu shot today. I'm only 60, so they gave me the regular dose. My arm ached for about an hour. Just when I thought that would be it, my throat started to feel odd when I swallow. It's evening, and I have a dry cough and feel drowsy. Sometimes I feel a weird quiver all over, as if my whole body is freaking out. Tomorrow should be fun.

It's good to know that for most people, it's no problem.

I hope you're feeling better. If your throat starts feeling like that you should ake an allergy pill. Probably bendryl would be the best bet, and call your doctor.

Back
Top Bottom