PPI's

Similar story here. On and off omeprazole for years. Things that really aggravate reflux: high fat or protein diet, too much caffeine, chocolate. and all alcohol aggravates it the worst. However, we have a sleep number bed in which the head can be elevated, and even the smallest tilt helps a lot.

One last thing, for me, swimming can aggravate it unless I swim on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning.)

Excess use of PPIs can cause bone loss, so I only take the omeprazole a few days at a time, take a senior vitamin which has a larger amount of vitamin D, and an occasional Tums. Another risk is pneumonia, from reflux without the acid. I want to avoid Barrett's esophagus which may lead to esophageal cancer.

Had no problems when I lost weight a few years ago but I regained it. So, I'm trying to lose it again, watching my diet and alternating between 3 mile jog/walks and swimming.

A few bits of advice: most Calcium antacids have sugar in them, so take at least 30 minutes prior to bed and brush your teeth well. Do not take antacids in excess of the recommended daily amount, or you could end up in the hospital with hypercalcemia and kidney insufficiency, especially if you are on a thiazide diuretic, which happened to a friend of mine. Last, a high protein diet and excessive food will tend to aggravate reflux rather than carbs, which are not digested in the stomach. Someone suggested too much carbs was causing a reflux problem, but carbs contribute little or nothing to reflux, unless the but the problem may be too much food.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Someone suggested too much carbs was causing a reflux problem, but carbs contribute little or nothing to reflux

That was probably me, with the anecdote that my problem nearly vanished when I switched to a LCHF diet.

But it's probably more accurate to say that we don't know for sure exactly what causes it, except that we become more prone to it as we get older.

Here's a very interesting explanation from a doc I respect:

GERD: Treat it with a low- or high-carb diet

That was probably me, with the anecdote that my problem nearly vanished when I switched to a LCHF diet.

But it's probably more accurate to say that we don't know for sure exactly what causes it, except that we become more prone to it as we get older.

Here's a very interesting explanation from a doc I respect:

GERD: Treat it with a low- or high-carb diet
Very interesting article.

A wise man once said "Show me a drug without side effects and I will show you a drug without effect." All pharmaceutical use is a risk-benefit calculation. To a GREAT extent you are required to trust your doctor to help you make the calculation. If you don't trust you doc, get a new doc. My doc recently put me on a new drug (not for GERD) but said do NOT read the side effect profile! He told me instead to report any side effects to him. I trust him, so that is how I am proceeding.

I have been using PPIs since they became available (forget how long - almost 20 years?) They work most of the time and I accept that there will be side effects which may not all be known at this time. I agree that using the smallest dose that works is a good idea. I agree that life-style changes (which may or may not work) are a better way to approach many diseases/conditions. Realistically, however, life-style changes are difficult for most of us. A pill which alleviates some of the "penalties" of less-than-perfect life-style is a bargain I'm willing to make in some cases (not all.) By the way, guys, you shouldn't read the side effects on the ED treatments either (or so I'm told.) Naturally YMMV.

My dad had reflux for many years before PPIs were available despite being thin, having a dislike of "greasy" food, being a minimal drinker, etc. He eventually developed an esophageal stricture which causes recurrent problems with food becoming stuck and which requires periodic, somewhat dangerous stretching procedures under anesthesia. He has taken PPIs since they became available, but the damage was already done. It's a pretty miserably uncomfortable problem and I would want to prevent it, if it were my esophagus.

People who take PPIs have lower B12 levels, but not to a degree that causes a problem. My dad's level is fine. My dad does have mild osteoporosis -- as did his father and his sister who didn't take PPIs.

Back
Top Bottom