Prince Harry -

I don't know much about Harry and his wife, but it appears that he is saying "I am not cut out for this royal lifestyle and obligations". He just wants to be left alone.

I do feel sorry for him. Here's a guy who probably wishes that he were a common man. He did not ask to be born into a royal family.

Good for Harry and his wife. Everybody deserves to live their lives in peace without the prying eyes of the media. Imagine if each of us was under this type of scrutiny. No doubt, they’ll find lots of negative stuff to write about especially if you don’t kowtow to the press. The British tabloids are vicious and nasty that few people can withstand. They found ready targets and it is a shame that this family couldn’t live their in peace.

I don't know much about Harry and his wife, but it appears that he is saying "I am not cut out for this royal lifestyle and obligations". He just wants to be left alone.

I do feel sorry for him. Here's a guy who probably wishes that he were a common man. He did not ask to be born into a royal family.

He certainly didn't anymore than the rest of us. If he wants out , it would be fair to give up the benefits of being a Royal along with the obligations.

OTOH, I have read some of the stuff written about his new bride and I have to say, it is nasty. And much of the nasty stuff has a lot of racial implications, IMHO. Here in the [-]colonies[/-] USA I am reminded of the photo of the Romney family which included an adopted 'child of color' and the comment "Which one doesn't belong?" There are a lot of nasty people in the press and social media. Even minor children are no longer immune from vicious attacks (Ms. Thunberg and Mr. Sandmann come to mind, both 16.) .

The Royals did not do this to the press. They choose these actions and attitudes themselves. Shame on them.

Last edited:
I enjoy “The Crown”. More for the reason people like looking at car wrecks. Otherwise I could give a rip about the royal family. Wouldn’t be surprised if the country votes to get rid of the current system in the next 20 years. However, the Royal family allow Britain to get more attention than they deserve

I like them both and wish them well. When the queen dies in a few years, it will be a footnote to history. I believe Markle is driving this because she wants her own life. Good for her! Harry deserves a wife like that.

^ actually what I have read and from reports it is Harry that is the one that wants out.

Even minor children are no longer immune from vicious attacks (Ms. Thunberg and Mr. Sandmann come to mind, both 16.) .
There is a huge difference between the two. One of them actively seeks media attention and is a self-proclaimed "voice" for the younger generation. If you take that route you (or your handlers) are open to criticism regardless of your age.

The other one was the innocent victim of a vicious media attack where facts were completely ignored.

One big point, if they do go it alone, the taxpayers of Britain shouldn't be on the hook. And with the $, they already have, I'm not sure why they would be. Megan is worth like $41MM, they don't need the $. Why have the been and why do they think they should continue to do so?

If you want to help the common people, why wouldn't you start by relinquishing funds that you don't need?

The "royals." lol

Are we still in the 1700's? Queens and kings, lol...ok. They are super duper important in todays society. They are totally needed.

The "royals." lol

Are we still in the 1700's? Queens and kings, lol...ok. They are super duper important in todays society. They are totally needed.

Looking around the world today, not much has changed. We still have despots, dictators and wanna-be kings. People doing anything to obtain power and stay in power.

Names withheld to protect the thread...

I wonder if there is a bit of irony, AND liberation, in the fact that Elizabeth's sister Margaret, Prince Charles's brother Andrew and Prince William's brother Harry have all been adversely affected by the fact that their elder sibling would inherit the throne yet they each were expected to accept extreme limitations on their liberty as number 2.

I think it must have been a challenge to accept that diminished role yet adhere to the countless limitations that living in a fishbowl encompass. I think "civil servant in a tiara" is the phrase used to describe Meghan's role. I don't envy this group of seconds and I don't blame them for chafing (Margaret and Andrew) and outright rejection in the case of Harry and Meghan, especially in the face of racism in the British press.

There is a huge difference between the two. One of them actively seeks media attention and is a self-proclaimed "voice" for the younger generation. If you take that route you (or your handlers) are open to criticism regardless of your age.

The other one was the innocent victim of a vicious media attack where facts were completely ignored.

+1

I’m probably going to have to take my sleep medication worrying about this whole thing

My newsfeed had an intriguing article with side by side comparisons of the media’s treatment of Kate and Meghan. I can’t blame them for what they are trying to do. If I were them, I’d feel the same way. It’s good to see them trying to carve out their lives together. They seem genuinely committed to one another. Pretty important in a marriage. Unlike the way Charles treated Diana.

https://news.google.com/articles/CA...AowjJ0RMKC-AjCp1rAF?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

My newsfeed had an intriguing article with side by side comparisons of the media’s treatment of Kate and Meghan. I can’t blame them for what they are trying to do. If I were them, I’d feel the same way. It’s good to see them trying to carve out their lives together. They seem genuinely committed to one another. Pretty important in a marriage. Unlike the way Charles treated Diana.

https://news.google.com/articles/CA...AowjJ0RMKC-AjCp1rAF?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

This article lays it out nicely. Truly disgusting.

Yes I saw those articles. If Kate does something it’s wonderful but Meghan does the same thing and they spin it negatively. Makes you wonder why the need to do this?

^ actually what I have read and from reports it is Harry that is the one that wants out.

It may have been easier to do something salacious like his uncle Prince Andrew did and then the Queen would have invited him to step away from the spotlight.

Good for them.

BUT.....we in Canada should not have to pay the estimated $1.7 million per year for their protection. It should be on their dime, not ours. HRH can well afford this.

The queen pretty much told Harry and Meghan good riddance :(:

Prince Harry and Meghan are no longer working members of the royal family and will repay the Sovereign Grant funds they recently spent to renovate their official residence, Frogmore Cottage -- £2.4 million (about $3 million) of British taxpayers' money -- the palace said in a statement.

As part of the agreement, the couple will be required to step back from their royal duties, including military appointments, and no longer represent the Queen, the statement from Buckingham Palace said.

Harry and Meghan will no longer receive funds for royal duties, it said. The arrangement will go into effect this spring.

"Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family," Queen Elizabeth II said in a statement.
"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family," she said. "I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/18/uk/harry-and-meghan-hrh-trnd/index.html

Good for them.

BUT.....we in Canada should not have to pay the estimated $1.7 million per year for their protection. It should be on their dime, not ours. HRH can well afford this.

Can't that be put to a vote in Canada? I agree, why maintain these sorts of ties to the British Monarchy from across an ocean? What do they do for you?

Hopefully, you don't need to go to war like we did back in 1775.

-ERD50

Blow That Dough!

BUT.....we in Canada should not have to pay the estimated $1.7 million per year for their protection.

As government expenditures go, that's not even the shadow of a freckle on a rounding error. But it's a significant amount to me. How many bodyguards can you hire for $1.7M? I bet it's a lot.

Why would they need so much security? Do Canadians dislike the royal couple? If so, why did H&M announce they're moving there? It would have been much easier to keep a low profile in some Mediterranean villa where English is not the local language.

lots of people IN canada besides Canadians...and likely a good portion of them may not be friendly towards H&M. maybe even some actual Canadians, too. their faces have been splashed around the globe so not a lot of places they can go to be incognito.

Back
Top Bottom