Profanities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't curse--I did not ever hear cursing when I grew up. My DH does not curse, no one in my family curses. I don't have any friends that curse. When I worked I do not remember hearing cursing. I avoid movies or TV shows with cursing. I am amazed at how many people on this Forum admit to cursing. I guess I live a sheltered life.

Spent the first 15 years of my working life on the decks of commercial fishing boats. The next 25 years on oil rigs and "man camps" attached to such. I am immune to swearing, I don't even hear it. I don't cuss much myself, unless the sh#t really hits the fan.

All I can say life is too short, far worst things to get one's nickers in a twist over.

:D Logging Camp, Lumber mills summers plus thirty years rocket/airplane factory floors.

Now in ER I check with Aussie's and Brit's on U Tube to keep my Vocab up to snuff.

Heh Heh Heh - watch it a tad depending on the audience/occasion. :cool: ;) Do have a current admiration for the Aussie way of swearing on Juice Media. :rolleyes:

YUP, i was a phucking sailor!

Outfudgingstanding. me too.

After four years or so I heard myself talking and modified the habitual speaking mode. Still swear on occasion, Gal swears more, drawing on her years running a gang of mechanics as service manager. We both are kinda prudish though - we like funny tv shows but find many new shows count on swearing and crude sexual commentary to shock laughs out. An example: the show "I'm Sorry".

When and where I grew up properly using foul language was considered an art. My DB, who served in the Navy, taught me much as he cussed me out when we were logging or running mills. My FIL had a very unique ability combine things others thought physically impossible to do, yet he swore otherwise.

A CIO I was particularly fond of combined the impossible with the unheard of. I remember an international presentation with live translators. The translation stopped for a noticeable period while the CIO went off on a tangent about monkeys and bulldogs having group sex, somehow this related to software development.

I have been decreasing my intentional use of colorful language for many years. An anonymous English teacher is responsible.

I will never stop using the one brilliant English, I would say almost swear word. A word for pretty much any occasion ....... Oh B*%%*cks, I made a Typo. :)

I even had a Colorado License Plate with it spelt with an "X". (Still have the plate)

This goes back a few years......

Attachments

• Ian & Brenda in Colorado 1990.jpg
    Ian & Brenda in Colorado 1990.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
My attitude towards language, it turns out, is much the same as that of Stephen Fry. With a few exceptions, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad word. If you liken words to colors, then the broader your vocabulary, the greater your ability to express yourself in any given situation.

Although I have dropped the occasional verbal clanger in unappreciative company, by and large, I'm fairly adept at communicating with others in a manner to which they are accustomed. I don't enjoy offending others (unless they thoroughly deserve it!) and take care not to swear if it will upset those around me. Most of the time, I don't feel like using salty verbage but, by golly, them sure are fun words to have around on the offchance you'll need 'em :LOL:

For some reason, the F word said with a soft Irish brogue just sounds wonderful to my ear. I don't know how they do it. The fact that the Irish usually substitute an "e" for the usual "u" softens it's impact too, and lends it some character. The British have a lot of quite creative ways of being crude that can add much welcome humor to the proceedings.

On other occasions though, cursing can come across as crushingly banal. I think it has a lot to do with the vocabulary, intelligence, and general communicative abilities of the speaker. If someone swears a lot, and I get the strong sense they are doing it because they can't think of any other words, that's not too appealing. If, on the other hand, the speaker has a fast wit and a broad vocabulary, it is a great deal more palatable.

I curse sometimes when talking to myself. I have a new landline and only two old friends have the number and they know my ringer is off and I probably won't pick up so they email me. I mostly get unwanted robo calls. When I see the phone flash, sometimes I pick up. A few days ago I picked up and the phone slipped and slammed into my keyboard support and I shouted "oh s**t, WTF." I found it fun that someone might hear it in a situation when it doesn't matter. It's my own home and I don't want people calling anyway.

Oh, and there was no answer. I answered weird a second time that day and again there was no answer. It could have been a friend who didn't know how to handle it. I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
I've been training myself to substitute.... Oh sh....ugar. What a motherfather. And the ever popular Oh fudge!

The good thing about these specific substitutes is you can switch the word/curse midstream to make it less offensive.

I forgot-- I do say "I'll be Gobsmacked" on occasion, but I don't think that is actually a curse word.

If you dare complain, you will be accused of being No Fun. And one can't have that!

IThey'll say whatever they want, dress however they want, act however they want, and if you don't like it that's your problem.

Cheese-Louise, Gobsmacked, Doggone it - are all ways of cursing without actually using the forbidden words. Oh, and saying that someone is a big glass bowl.

I forgot-- I do say "I'll be Gobsmacked" on occasion, but I don't think that is actually a curse word.

Language is a tool. All of it can be useful.

Cheese-Louise, Gobsmacked, Doggone it - are all ways of cursing without actually using the forbidden words.

Or...as the Peppers/Pepsies might say....Tabernac! Câlice! :LOL:

Last edited:
usually swear only when i'm angry. learned to swear working in a steel miller during my first summer home between freshman and sophmore years.

YUP, i was a phucking sailor!

Me too! 31 years, and loved most of it.
On a joint tour I had the folks remove their swear jar in about a week just by stringing benign words into phrases they found more offensive than actual swear words .

Mike

Last edited:
Very, very rarely and only when I am the only person present. Was taught that swearing was not good manners. Wasn't permitted in my line of work so not swearing was reinforced.

Cheese-Louise, Gobsmacked, Doggone it - are all ways of cursing without actually using the forbidden words. Oh, and saying that someone is a big glass bowl.

As long as we are talking about minced oaths, let's throw in "gadzooks." (Google if need be.)

Edit: Or "zounds" for that matter.

Last edited:
I've noticed that some people are much better at swearing than others. For some, it comes natural and it isn't even shocking. They can't say a sentence without a cuss word.

For others, it's a shock to hear it.

I don't swear much, only when I have to. Usually when I'm fishing by myself.

What gets me the most is the swearing on main stream TV now days. Just watch an episode of The Ranch on Netflix.

I used to work with a friend of my Dad's. They both were HVAC mechanics. He was about 6'-6" and 300 lbs; more muscle than fat. He usually never cussed, being a good Christian. He was a gentle giant of a man, until he encountered a piece of equipment that was being stubborn, like a squirrel cage fan corroded to it's shaft, so it was almost impossible to remove it. Then, it was like he transformed. He'd go get a bigger hammer and lay a cussing on that part like you wouldn't believe. It was like he morphed into the Incredible Hulk. Once he started he wouldn't stop until the part yielded or broke. Then, he'd wipe off the sweat, and he'd be his regular self. We thought of this as his superpower.

He passed about a week ago. He'll join Dad and they'll be fixing stuff together again, because that's who they were. Thanks mountainsoft for giving me a chance to remember him!

Last edited:
In my heart of hearts, I think cursing is a bit unsophisticated and low class. I really believe that.

But I curse like a sailor nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom