Pronunciation ??

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Am I the only one who's bugged by the recent change in pronunciation that seems to be going around?

A few local TV News readers say things like "Mowww-ins" (Mountains), "Manhaah-in" (Manhattan), "Buh-in" (Button), "Nu-in" (Newton) etc.

And when did "Street" become "Schtreet" and "Strong" become "Schtrong" and "Straight" become "Schtraight"?

What's with this? I've heard children talk like that over the years, but not professional people who are paid to be on TV. Or am I out of touch?

I suspect it is a Massachusetts thing. They don't say nuttin' right so I would think you'd be used to it. :D

Well, we certainly don't hold any claim to saying things properly, but this is different from "pahkin the cah around the cohna". This seems to be an entirely new beast.

"S" to "Sh" is very common in broadcasting to avoid accidentally whistling into a mic. I hear that quite a bit. The rest, I haven't noticed that.

Am I the only one who's bugged by the recent change in pronunciation that seems to be going around?

A few local TV News readers say things like "Mowww-ins" (Mountains), "Manhaah-in" (Manhattan), "Buh-in" (Button), "Nu-in" (Newton) etc.

And when did "Street" become "Schtreet" and "Strong" become "Schtrong" and "Straight" become "Schtraight"?

What's with this? I've heard children talk like that over the years, but not professional people who are paid to be on TV. Or am I out of touch?
yes, you are he only one.

I haven't heard any of those mispronunciations here at all. We have our own set of mispronunciations, mostly evolving over decades. :D

So I was watching TV trying to listen for these nuances. Will keep you posted.

I hain't herd nairy a one of em. Course we dawnt git no tayvay cepshun out here. Reckon it muss be some city thang.

I lived in MA for a while.

A guy I worked with came up to me and said "wanna come to our potty?".

He meant "party", but I thought "no, I think you can handle that yourself".

Those are East Coast pronunciations maybe?

If you live in the south, you hear all sorts of wild and crazy mispronunciations. They take it to a high art.

Recently a neighbor asked us if we wanted to "come see it?" I in all innocence asked "see what?" My TX born husband totally cracked up and explained to me that we had just been invited to "come sit" by our Arkansas neighbor.

My TX husband gets into trouble with the GPS lady. I couldn't help but crack up when he spoke an address ending in "Tegzuz" He looked at me confused when I told him the GPS lady would never understand Texas pronounced with z's.

There are some pretty wild regional speech variations in our Winter Texan neighborhood.

Those are East Coast pronunciations maybe?

I can't say I've heard or at least registered the above mentioned doggerel or "TV argot" but I did chuckle when I read "schtreet". It's always been "Schtreet" in Philadelphia where I grew up.

I have noticed that since about the late 1990's "ex-cape" has almost officially replaced "ES-cape'. Even professional speakers (broadcasters et al and otherwise normal educated characters in dramas ) use it nowadays.

This called a glottal stop, which is used by some in place of the normal voiceless alveolar stop "t". It has generally carried lower class connotations. For example, in England, Cockneys regularly speak with a glottal stop.

It bothers me too.

Edit to add: An interesting article on this phenomenon. http://britishisms.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/glottal-stop/

Last edited:
I haven't heard any of those mispronunciations here at all. We have our own set of mispronunciations, mostly evolving over decades. :D

Dat's right! I always liked when my New Awlins yat neighbors said they would "pass by" my house to "aks questions." Dey always tried to "make" 4 o'clock.

You got problems? I work with a Scottish Shakespeare. You ought to see the confusion on the faces of our nationals when there is a heated discussion.:)

I've lived in Joisey, Nyowk, Loosiana, Tejas, Chicahgah and too, tree udder places, yeah. As native English (?) speakers, we Americans have a huge advantage over second language folks. We heard it all. Capiche?

:D

Nyet. Will valley talk come to TV?

Back
Top Bottom