PSA: Is your mouthwash and/or toothpaste staining your teeth?

I don't have any teeth staining. I've been using Cepacol for many years. I use a small amount to rinse before brushing. I like the overall "tingly" feel using it as pre-rinse. '

I live in South Texas so totaling the AM coffee, liter of H20 I take and finish on daily walk, late afternoon iced tea total intake of water easily exceeds 2 L/day. We also use the vapor distilled water to cook with.

I looked at the options for purifying water when we first moved here after seeing what the dishes look like after a run through the dishwasher. Plus, all the farming chemicals, manufacturing, farm animal waste, older pipes, ect... made me wonder just how safe our tap water could really be.

What I like about the water distiller is that it doesn’t just boil the water; nor is it a filter with some smaller particles or even viruses making it through. It boils water and the vapor produced is collected as it cools and once again becomes liquid. I’m not a chemist, but since I have a poor functioning thyroid that requires a daily med, it seems like a reasonable and fairly easy step.

Same thing happened to me...my teeth were black within 6 months. I couldn't figure it out. I went to get my teeth cleaned...and my dentist asked if I was using Crest Mouthwash, and that it was infamous for staining teeth. I complained to Crest and Procter & Gamble, who owns them, replied. I asked them to pay for my cleaning. They sent these long forms and told me to send them $150 cleaning bill. It cost me $3 to send, because they are in Europe. They sent me back a $5 gift card. What a joke. P&G is a huge company...and this is how they treat customers. Selling horrible products, and then skirting responsibility. And still selling it to this day. I have since avoided their products, and hope others do too. Shameful.
Crest ProHealth toothpaste is worse for staining than the mouthwash FWIW.

I don't have any teeth staining. I've been using Cepacol for many years. I use a small amount to rinse before brushing. I like the overall "tingly" feel using it as pre-rinse. '
After my bad staining experience with Crest ProHealth toothpaste and mouthwash, I switched to Sensodyne toothpaste and Listerine Zero Alcohol mouthwash - I've had several cleanings since then and no more staining, and alcohol dries out the tissues in your mouth so I am avoiding that as well.

The best mouthwash is NaHCO3 + H2O2.
Tastes awful. Don’t swallow.
Cleans really well.
Mix just prior to use. The combo releases an atom of oxygen from the hydrogen peroxide that is starved for an electron in it's valence shell. This oxygen atom binds with odor causing bacteria, killing it. Actually, it burns it up as oxygen is a fuel.

This same combo, with a drop of Dawn detergent, is very good at removing skunk odors from dogs. The O2 atom bonds with the skunk juice. Just like O2 bonds with iron, Fe, making rust; FeO2. The result is a molecule that is no longer stinky.

Better living through chemistry. Ha!

A little off topic, but I stopped using toothpaste with fluoride and have far less trouble with dry mouth. I now use Tom’s

Back
Top Bottom